Casio Ctk-3200 vs Ctk 6200K3

MikJames

• Members

One would think the bigger number is better in one way or another but i'm just curious how that applies between Casio's low end and higher end keyboards.

Does the 6200 have better playability and sound than the 3200 or just more features?

With a price match and no tax deal I should be able to get the 6200 for around 130$ so it seems like a no brainer...

However if the 6200 isn't much better than the 3200 and there is something better for not much more then it wouldn't be a great deal for me.

• Members

I was hoping for a little more than what the manufacturer specs provide. Such as feel/playability, sound quality.

Regardless the ctk-3200 went on sale for an even better deal so I picked that up instead.

The playability is better than I thought it might be, but I figured it could be better so I am in the process of adding weights to the keys. So far so good, the added weight definitely improves the feel, though it is still a lighter touch than the common digital piano from Roland or Yamaha.

I also quite enjoy the sound of one of the onboard pianos, I don't think this particular sound is heard in many of the demos as they probably stick to the first setting of "grand piano", which I don't find sounds as full as the number six piano setting "mellow grand"

• Members

Someone here observed and I was able to later confirm for myself that the Casio grands are very short on sustain. Compression (limiting) I suppose to accommodate the onboard amplification. They do however pass for the grands you often hear on pop tunes where the hard attack and note signature are everything. The mellow grand I suspect might have a tad more apparent sustain. (?)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Huge difference in almost every regard between a CTK-3200 and CTK-6200. The CTK-6200 has a 3-layer dynamic stereo piano sample similar to what is in the XW-P1 synthesizer. The CTK-3200 does not have the same tone generator, speaker system, available effects, rhythms and more.

Someone here observed and I was able to later confirm for myself that the Casio grands are very short on sustain. Compression (limiting) I suppose to accommodate the onboard amplification. They do however pass for the grands you often hear on pop tunes where the hard attack and note signature are everything. The mellow grand I suspect might have a tad more apparent sustain. (?)

Short on sustain compared to what? Some internet myths just never die. Casio's piano samples are in fact significantly longer than the direct competition. Independent tests such as those at Pianoworld.com show that Casio is not only using more samples across the 88 note range but longer samples and more layers of dynamics than similarly priced Yamaha products.

• Members

Ah Mr. Martin himself. I like your demos. Very credible.

The pianos at Costco sound very short winded compared to say Yamaha stage pianos. Like I said could be compensation for the amplification or the amplication itself but none of that rich, you can bathe in sound you get from real grands and some stage pianos. I'm not an expert so I can't be adamant about the why but the difference in tone is very real.

• Members

Casio Stage Pianos are comparable to Yamaha stage pianos. The 88 note Casio model at Costco is not the same technology as Privia home or stage pianos from Casio.

The 88 note Yamaha at Sam's club isn't the same as what is their other instruments. Ridiculous comparison if you ask me.

• Members
Casio Stage Pianos are comparable to Yamaha stage pianos. The 88 note Casio model at Costco is not the same technology as Privia home or stage pianos from Casio.

The 88 note Yamaha at Sam's club isn't the same as what is their other instruments. Ridiculous comparison if you ask me.

Well then back to the statement I made on sustain - claim is valid.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've done a fair amount of research on these lower end Casios under ($450), and being that I've owned 3 different stage pianos and workstations all costing over 3000 dollars a piece, and I have owned the Yamaha PSR 423, which sells for $250, I think I have some perspective on quality of sound , playability, and useful features. I have the same question you do: how much can I get for my money, how good is the basic sound quality, the playability, and the features that I really look for. Sounds like you're beginning player, in which case it doesn't matter as much which keyboard you get. the thing is though is with Casio you get a lot more for very few dollars. $200 is cheap for a decent keyboard, and the $70 jump in price is not that much for a significant upgrade. The CTK 6200 is the latest generation, having been upgraded from the 6000. The keyboard is now halfway decent, which is surprising for this price level of a keyboard. In comparison to the $250 Yamaha, there is no comparison, the keys on the Yamaha feel and sound clickety clackety. If you like listening to your keyboard through the onboard speakers, the 6200 has 6 watts per size compared to to 2 watts per side for the 3200, & 4 speakers compared to 2. You also get 700 tones vs 400, and more drum rhythms. Given that the 6200 has an improved key bed, a bigger and more powerful sound system, almost twice the number of sounds available, etc. etc., for me personally there's no contest. There's a great YouTube video comparing the wk 7600 to the wk 7500. The WK series is exactly the same as the CTK series except that it has 76 keys instead of 61. The CTK 6200 is the new generation like the 7600 is. As you become more experienced, the keyboard feel becomes more important.

• 4 months later...

Archived