What is your favorite Leslie Speaker?

Outkaster

What is your favorite Leslie Speaker?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Leslie Speaker?

• 142/122
    • 145/147
    • 31H
    • 21H
    • 45/44
    • Other

• Members

I only own one in that list, so I'm not sure if I should have voted or not.

I own a 51C and a 760. I like the 51C for blues, soul, that kind of stuff. I like the 760 as a rock-n-roll screamer. I also play spinets which probably informs my choice as well.

All that said, I really want a 145 or a 142.

Wes

• Members

Yep! Especially nice when paired with an A100 or an M100 -- the side speakers can take a signal from the reverb amp, and the amplifier circuit for the rotary signal is almost exactly the same as a 147.

Like all early 60s Leslies, the cabinet is made from coreboard with plywood shelves and backs. The cabinet has a really nice resonance all on its own, especially if you don't set anything on top of it. I have old-ass 6550s in it, too. I think GE "coke bottles". And, of course, the Jensen V21 with a P15LL woofer. Totally classic setup.

I have thought about adding 2-speed motor stacks to it for eons, because I really like chorale. Now I am pretty sure I am going to get an MTC-Logic controller from George Benton (Bentonelectronics.com) and go that route instead. I don't really want to modify the lower shelf nor make oiling more difficult (single-speed motors can be oiled without even removing the backs).

Wes

• Members

I always liked the form factor of the Leslie 860. I had a 900 for many years and then someone stole the top half out of a van and I was left with a useless bottom half. Insurance replaced it with an 860 which I used for a long time.

I know purists like the wood cabinet models and for good reason, but for carrying around the 860 will always be my fav.

• Members

I sure wouldn't mind an 860. I always wondered if the bearing would wear faster because of the cockeyed rotational angle, but I doubt it's measurable. Taking the 860 to a jam would be fun. I have a most of a 130 here I've thinking of doing something with. I have the amps out of a 720, maybe I could tuck in a horn somehow and come up with a DIY 860. :)

• Members

I've only owned a 760 and a 22H (modded with a slow motor for chorale on the horn only). I loved the 760 for it's bass and volume and the 22H for it's tube presence and butter-smooth tone (although it was lacking in bass compared to the 760). If I ever heard a Tall Boy that would probably be the Holy Grail for me.

Wes, I have a Caribbean Controls Leslie speed control NIB, bought from Speakeasy Music about 10 years ago. It might be a good option for adding chorale, if you are interested and care to research it. I'm getting to be more a fan of single speed Leslies so it looks like it will never be needed.

I've got a 142 and a Speakeasy preamp here, although I've used and maintained various different models over the years. The 142 is 8" shorter which is better for portability, but the 122's larger cabinet sounds a bit better in the bass IMO. Other than the cabinet, they're pretty similar beasts, and probably my favorite Leslie models. I voted 122 on the poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I only own one and it's the same one I gigged with a while back. It started life as a 147 but when the amp began giving me problems, it was replaced with a 122 -actually more suited to my C3. The 147 had a brighter sound for me at the time (rock band) and seemed to be a better fit.

• Members

I'm always curious about RV guys, do they set it and forget it, or do they have a remote reverb control?

I have reverb in my gig organ, an L111, I use it very sparingly but I like to be able to control the amount when I use it....for example, I like a tiny bit on Whiter Shade, none at all on Evil Ways, and I drench it on Don't Fear The Reaper so that when the band drops out during the stops the organ sound hangs in the air for a split second.

I'm currently trying to source an AO-35 or AO-44 for my CV so that I can run stationary speaker reverb. It will be interesting to hear what it sounds like. I suspect I will wind up adding a knob to control it like on the A100.

Wes

• Members

That makes sense. The 122 series of Leslie have a slight delay in switching because of how it's implemented. The switch on your organ directly controls the relay in the 147 amp, making the switching virtually instantenous. Similarly, the output stage of a 147 amp allows a bit more "scream" than a 122.

Archived