Korg Triton Rack SCSI Question

RockPianoman

• Members

Wow! How old is your computer? I have not seen a 25-pin serial connector on a PC for several decades.

Anyway, DON'T connect them. SCSI is a parallel interface used mainly on hard-drives.

Are you sure it is a serial jack on your computer and not a SCSI?

• Members

Maybe it's a SCSI....it's a Windows XP computer.....I haven't tried to connect them but the jacks look the same....I've only looked at the Korg SCSI on the computer so maybe it's smaller.....

I'm pretty sure the jack on my computer is the type they used to hook up printers with before USB but the computer has USB too....

• Members

Yes, printer ports and 25-pin SCSI ports are both female and do look the same. A 25-pin serial port is male. A SCSI drive will usually have a 50-pin connector and use an adapter cable. What purpose has Korg specified for the SCSI port on the Triton?

• Members

Here is a page selling a SCSI board (KLM-2087), with ribbon cable, for Korg Triton. Does this look like what you have?

http://www.syntaur.com/4390.html

Here's a blog post that describes using the board to use SCSIforSamplers.

http://jimatwood.wordpress.com/2010/...reader-review/

I believe Tripp-Lite makes a USB to SCSI converter if that would be helpful for you, though I'm not sure if that would allow you to do anything with the Triton. Some program has to give the synth and computer something to talk about once they are connected.

• Members

I haven't actually bought the SCSI expansion for my Triton rack yet....I've looked at them on Ebay (they are the same as the one at Ghostpaw's link).....From what I've read Korg says the SCSI port is for connecting to hard drives in external enclosures with SCSI or zip drives.....I agree with Ghostpaw that if it can't speak the same language I may not be able to connect it to a PC.....I bought 2 different Smart Media card to Compact Flash adapters made by two different manufacturers for my Motif 8 and neither would ever work.....emulators to replace the floppy with an SD card reader or USB seem to have mixed results too....I'm trying to improve storage for it (floppies have poor long term reliability)....I can't find the mLan adapter on Ebay (I have a firewire jack in one of my laptops and this would be the fastest method but the adapter never seems to appear on Ebay)....

• Members

SCSI (Small Computer Systems Interface) was used to connect Hard drives and CD burners to Apple computers for a long time. It is not the same as USB (although USB has taken over the functions that SCSI used to provide) in that you cannot connect your synth directly to a computer.

In the case of the OP, the Korg Triton is the SCSI Host that would connect to a peripheral storage device. If the computer had a SCSI interface it would also function as a SCSI host.

As for a practical solution...

I had a Yamaha SY85 that used floppies that had the same format as a PC. I could save patches and waveforms on the floppy then copy them to a PC for long term storage.

​Are the floppies the Korg uses compatible with your computer? I believe there are external floppy drives available with USB interface.

Edit: From the Triton user manual:

In the case of a floppy disk, the formatting operation

can be performed on a MS-DOS compatible computer.

• Members

You're right....I'm going to try floppy emulators (USB or SD card) until I find one that works.....I've already researched this and finding one with the same type of connections seems to be the key.....I think that it also might be important to format the USB stick or SD card with the Triton and this might eliminate problems......it's nice that the Triton is the same format as Windows.....my Yamaha SY77 I used to have and my Alesis Data Disk are not the same format....

If I am ever able to find the mLan expansion for the Triton rack, this would be the fastest interface as it gives you Firewire jacks.....one of my laptops has Firewire built in and it was this way from the time it was new....

Archived