Free program measures MIDI latency & jitter

Mmmmqac

• Members

I have written some software to help us determine the effects that hardware, driver and software changes have upon MIDI latency and jitter. The program is also handy for identifying the ideal number of samples of offset to apply to MIDI tracks to compensate for round-trip latency when recording them to audio tracks. I hope you find it useful.

You can download it for free from: http://expressiveelectronicsformusic...di_jitter.html

fetch?id=31339458

Recorded synth is late compared to its MIDI track

fetch?id=31339459

• Members

Thanks for this. I've never experienced a problem with MIDI latency though.

Maybe that's because I always record my MIDI tracks prior to the digital audio parts like vocal and guitar. I mix in MIDI and then two track the mix.

I've experienced digital audio latency - but never in MIDI. And I've been sequencing MIDI over 20 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A big sorry to all the people who were having trouble with the Windows version (WINv1.1) due to the DLL error. I have compiled a new version with static libraries. Version WINv1.1.2 is now available for free download. Please let me know if there are further issues.

Thankyou

Darren Mac

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I have made version 2 available now. It is way more capable than version 1 and still free. You can now get information on exactly when your DAW sends its MIDI notes, the jitter of its interface, the jitter in its MIDI clock messages. Plus, the MIDI to audio response of your synths can be measured independently (without the cumulative effect of the sequencer's latency and jitter).

Attached are a screenshot and a concept diagram of how the MIDI Latency Analyser fits into your setup. If the concept diagram is daunting, I have two simpler ones on my website that only include the concepts related to specific test scenarios.

5e91f566ffe06ecdcd3f612945d73010.png.267b3edf351418d1b2a2b667c0c17cb0.png

31e236bdcec0fb7fe7b1d58d6a2ec723.thumb.png.22e6fd00e41c9ece08ebe2a3f7e342d4.png

Archived