Question about the Yamaha MM6--a dealbreaker for me! Info please?!

synthola

• Members

I used to play live gigs years ago wth a PSR 740. Decent sounds, but the best thing was the registration buttpns. I could set up Left hnd bass, Rt hand splits/layers with ease, and use in a fluid fashion in my rock band (Yes, i was the defacto bass player). Now I see that this Motif inspired affordable board has registration functions too! and its much lighter and better sounding--big wins.

However..

I go to the store to try it out, and it seems like with a split patch, the sustain pedal will not work for the left hand voice. Ive run into this problem with the Roland E series arranger baords, anf the Roland VR-09. almost bought that when I discovered this glitch, and Roland told me thats just how theyre designed--no fix.

Is there a way to make the sustain pedal work on the left voice in a split patch in the Mini Mo? I am really hoping I just didnt know how to set it up, but I couldnt make it work for the life of me, and Im farly knowledgeable.

Thanks for any info from you MM6 users in advance.

• Members
almost bought that when I discovered this glitch

It's not a glitch, it's how most left hand bass players would want it to work. Usually, LHB is designed to emulate the sound of a bass guitar or string bass. If you are playing a piano part with your right hand and want your notes to sustain after you release them, you usually do not want your left hand bass notes to be similarly overlapping one another as you play, so I consider the lack of sustain on the left side to be an improvement over boards that insist on sustaining both sides of the split. Some keyboards sustain the left side of a split, some don't, and some let the user select whether or not he wants the left hand part to sustain (which is ideal).

Anyway, the MM6 is kind of old at this point (it came out in 2007), and I think has basically been replaced by the MX61, which based on my reading of the manual does let you select whether you want the sustain pedal to function on the upper part, lower part, or both parts of a split.

• Members

Point taken. I guess over the years I've learned to play with the sustain and not overlap bass notes, and instead can free up my left hand while holding a bass note if I want to do something else in the beat..like quickly press an effect or patch select button with my left hand while comping on the right. in fact, not be able to sustain the left hand feel. What if its not a bass patch, but a pad or piano you want on the left hand? SOL, and a design fail in my book. since you mention it, the mx61 does split correctly from my point of view.. But, once split, I couldn't figure out how to also have a layer happen at the same time on the right side.can you split and layer at the same time on the mx61?

• Members

Here's a link for the Yamaha MM6 Owners Manual

http://www.americanmusical.com/ItemF...mm6_manual.pdf

It says on page 41 that sustain can only be applied to main or dual voices so I guess with split voices only the upper voice can receive sustain pedal messages.....I'm sorry

This seems unusual....usually in new synths all voices in any mode can be set to receive whatever controller information is needed....maybe it's possible to set it up with the computer editor....

Call or email Yamaha....they should know....they have really good customer support but if they call you back it might not even be the same day......email works better because you don't have to wonder when they will call you....

• Members
What if its not a bass patch' date=' but a pad or piano you want on the left hand? SOL, and a design fail in my book[/quote']

Right, that's why the keyboards where you can choose whether or not to sustain the left side is best. If you HAD to pick just one, I would go for no sustain, because LH bass is probably the single most common use of a simple split. But sure, wanting to hold a pad chord and do two-hand work above it (or solo with a hand free for pitch/mod wheels) is another perfectly good use of a split area. So yes, ideally you want to be able to set it however you want. But the lowest cost keyboards tend to just work one way or the other.

the mx61 does split correctly from my point of view.. But' date=' once split, I couldn't figure out how to also have a layer happen at the same time on the right side.can you split and layer at the same time on the mx61?[/quote']

As I understand it, you cannot create that kind of Performance from the front panel, but you can create it using the free editor at http://www.vycromx.com

• Members

Well, thanks for the input guys. RockPMan, initially I had a question about the MM6 as I am interested in a fresh sounding board that wont break my back or wallet! My mantra after all these years of playing out is Smaller Lighter Better (and cheaper if i can get that!) I've got so many heavy boards at home from my addiction (still have my very first Emax) that i could open a museum lol. But my must-haves are 1) good sounds, 2) the abilty to control both sides of a split equally (thats where the MX61 came into the discussion, but I cant split and layer at the same time from the console, which i do frequently onstage to liven the sound. Last, 3) programmable registration buttons for my setups. Of course I'd want physical split and layer buttons on the front for live use. Oddly, older Casio arrangers would meet my criteria but I couldnt bring myself to play one on stage even though I like the sounds and function (WK 3600?). I do use the thing at home but I wouldn't want my music buds to see me playing it on stage ☺ Any other suggestions for live use boards with these functions are gladly taken! Currently I use things like a Kurzweil K2000, Alesis Fusion, Juno GI, Korg Microstation and my ancient Yammy PSR 730 in my band gigs...

• Members

A great setup would be an original Motif rack and a controller keyboard.....you can setup the Motif rack anyway you like as far as splits and how the sustain pedal controls it......Alesis makes an 88 key controller with unweighted keys and the 2 wheels for $200 new.....I see the original Motif rack go for as low as $300 used.....it has a ton of sounds and you could set it up really good....I gigged with those sounds for years....the rack has a lot more sounds than the keyboard version....

There aren't any at that price right now on Ebay but there will be when someone needs money fast....

That Alesis controller would be super light to move with a gig bag....

These demos let you hear the sounds in that rack:

Alesis MIDI Controllers

http://www.sweetwater.com/c513--Ales...Dk2NzI2OSJdfX0

Another option is a used JV-1080.....they are practically giving those away now and they can be setup really well too....

Listen to the piano here:

There is a patch called "Nice Piano" that sounds really good with the effects removed....even better than those...

There's a JV-1080 at the link below for under $200 with shipping

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...v-1080&_sop=16

• Members

The MM6 was a PSR-E403 with Motif Voices. So therefore it cannot apply sustain to the left hand voice- most splits involve left hand bass- which you do not want sustain to apply to. You should buy a new MX61, the MM replacement, you can apply sustain to the left hand voice and it has Motif XS voices and it is not a PSRE series workstation revamp.

• Members

Thanks for the intriguing idea RPianoman. My brother is getting rid of one of those Roland JV units..used it for a drum brain with his Zendrum and upgraded it. Ill need to look into those Q88s too. I like the idea of 88 unweighted keys. John as discussed earlier in the thread, most left hand bass players may not want to sustain, but I certainly do. There are many times Ill want go rt hand in the bass register to pull off a complicated jazz bass fill or chording (think Victor Wooten type stuff at the end of his Amazing Grace tune) then go back to a basic LH bass RH comp for the rest of a song. Gotta keep things interesting right? You can see why Id want sustain (and pitch bend for that matter) on the left side split. Some of us do venture into more adventurous kb bass waters than Brown Eyed Girl sometimes lol :) . When you do, you're just plain limited without a working sustain. MX boards are a no go as well..cant split and layer them simultaneously without an editor..who wants an editor to do something my 15 year old arranger can do on the fly!? Anyway, thanks all. BTW, if anyone can give any info on the Korg M50s or Kromes regarding these functions, I'd appreciate it. I really like those sound sets as well, and there are a few for sale in my area.. Thx

Archived