New keyboard purchase, what do you think?

j3yps

• Members

Hello everybody,

I'm currently planning on getting a new 88 Keys, and i'm just wondering which one to get.

Roland RD700NX

Korg Kross 88

or

Korg Krome 88

All of them are weighted as far as i know, but which one do you think is better in the long run? who has a better playability, and feel?

​Which one would you get and why?

• Members

The Korgs have horrible action. Unplayable in my opinion. But, they have some nice sounds, more than the Roland. Do you want more of a rompler/workstation type board or a digital piano? What will you be doing with it?

• Members

I'm not really a pianist. but i think i'll be getting the RD700NX, mainly because of the action, durability, and the replacement parts are readily available here in our country (philippines) unlike the other brands.

It's going to be used in my recording studio, so i think it's a better choice. sound isn't that important to me since i have tons of software instruments libraries.

• Members

I think weighted keys make a person a better player because if you accidentally bump a wrong key with weighted keys you may not even hear it because with weighted keys you need to strike the keys......not the case with unweighted keys.....I would try many boards before deciding on what to buy because what's the most important is how they feel and sound to you......once you do have weighted keys you enjoy, you can play anything from them....I prefer Yamaha pianos but the new entry level Korg pianos are great too (I think the Yamaha pianos take the new Korg pianos with their acoustic piano sounds).....I think the Korg weighted keys are better and they have great acoustic piano sounds too.....

My favorite new Yamaha piano: Yamaha P-35

Yamaha's acoustic piano sounds seem to work perfectly for anything you play....they just fit about any song

For organ sounds, unweighted keys are definitely better but you can buy any MIDI board, even a budget Yamaha PSR board with MIDI and it will work great to play organ sounds....if you would buy a budget board with MIDI to play sounds that are better with unweighted keys, make sure it has a sustain pedal jack and touch sensitive keys....

Even if you don't think you need acoustic piano sounds, when the time comes that you do, you need an acoustic piano sound that measures up and doesn't sound bad.....there are sooooo many boards that do terrible acoustic piano

That's one reason I like the budget Yamaha Motifs is because they all do great acoustic piano and they have TONS of sounds....the budget Motifs with weighted keys are the MO8, MOX8 and MOXF8....they all weigh about 30 pounds which is great....the Yamaha Motifs with 88 keys can weight close to 70 pounds, and they are huge and 70 pounds is before you add the weight of a case....(you need a case and not a gig bag)....

Yamaha MOX Demo - ALL 1217 voices in 100 Minutes !

I bought my case for my Yamaha P-70 piano from New York Case Company and they build really nice cases......they added roller blade wheels.....I wanted roller blades wheels in case I need to move it far from the car (some gigs you can't get as close as you want).....

Some people view the Motifs as old technology, and they have been making them a long time, but they fill every need for me.....I can find the perfect sound for any song without needing to load sounds....once you have the time to organize and make sound banks to fit your needs you are set and they are super reliable.... you can store all your setups on USB thumbdrives.....with cutoff you can really shape samples to sound just like they need to sound and store them and the effects are great too...

• Members
i think i'll be getting the RD700NX, mainly because of the action, durability, and the replacement parts are readily available here in our country (philippines) unlike the other brands.

It's going to be used in my recording studio, so i think it's a better choice. sound isn't that important to me since i have tons of software instruments libraries.

If you're buying the Roland just for its action and not its sounds , you might be able to save some money by looking at something like their FP-80, which is of a similar calibre. But not the lower end Roland like RD300 or FP-50 whose action is quite different.

• Members
The Korgs have horrible action. Unplayable in my opinion.

I totally disagree. While you may not like the action, to say it is horrible isn't fair. I have had many weighted action keyboards over the years, some that I liked more than others. I currently own a Korg Krome. Prior to that I had a Roland RD700GX. Truthfully I liked the physical response of the Roland but couldn't stand the Ivory Feel keys. That and the very simplistic sound editing is what led my away from Roland. The Krome's key bed definitely feels different than the Roland but after a month of playing it, I have become very comfortable playing the Krome and actually like it better that the Roland at this point. And the deep level of sound editing of the Krome puts it far above the other brands. Just my opinion.

• Members

You might want to consider the Kurzweil Forte. Well balanced action, 16GB of incredible new samples including Steinway and Yamaha pianos, 2 Rhodes, Wurly, Clav (both pickups) and Harpsi plus a "best of" from the PC3 sound set.

Full disclosure - I worked as a contract sound designer on this one. It was the most fun I've ever had on a keyboard project.

Here are some audio demos: http://kurzweil.com/product/forte/audio/

Anyone can feel free to hit me with questions. wesierdav@gmail.com

• Members

Korg's digital pianos have improved soooooo much....I played some they made in about 2000 and they were terrible......now they are fantastic.....I also played some Roland digital pianos back then and they were outstanding but they never offered anything close in their synths.....the Roland JV pianos were a big step up from the piano I had in my Yamaha SY77, but once I played the Yamaha Motif acousitc pianos, I wanted those.....the newer Roland synth pianos are improved but they still aren't as good as the Roland digital pianos I played in 2000.....those pianos looked like an upright piano but were electronic and sounded soooooo real.....(too heavy to move though).....

The Yamaha digital pianos still won compared to any I tried.....they really had the sound but the new Korg digital pianos have better action (but not better sound).....

The Yamaha KX88 had really nice action but those are so old by now....it would be cool to find a KX88 that was totally reconditioned to like new condition.....the interface kinda sucked but the action was great (but there were no built in sounds)....Christine McVie of Fleetwood Mac still plays KX88's at a lot of shows.....David Bryan of Bon Jovi used to use a KX88 as his main board back in the day....

David Paich of Toto played the original Motif 8 for years even after newer Motifs were released.....Elton John has played that too but Elton John seems to like Roland electric pianos too but his red grand piano is a Yamaha.....I see him playing Yamaha grand pianos all the time.....

Classical pianists like Steinways because the key return is so much faster....they are much more capable because of this.....

Archived