Free acoustic piano fix for the original Motif

RockPianoman

• Members

If you have one of the original Motifs, there is an easy fix for the acoustic piano sound inside it......the PowerGrand piano sound is a really good acoustic piano sound but it has a section of keys above middle C that sound "plucky" so in that section take the Jazz Grand acoustic piano sound which uses different samples in the area that sounds "plucky"......the Jazz Grand is not so good on some of the lower keys where the PowerGrand really shines.......just using both sounds in a Performance and having each in the area of keys where they sound best can really give you a nice, well-rounded acoustic piano sound (the most important sound in my opinion)......balance the volume on the two sounds so they match well......you can also adjust cutoff for them to make them both have the same brightness as each other.....it really turns out better than you would expect....I still have my original Motif 8 and used it on tons of gigs and it is a very capable board.....

If you have the original Motif rack, you can do exactly the same thing, but on the Motif rack you would be in Multi Mode as the Motif rack doesn't have Performance mode.....you can still layer the two sounds and set the note limits for each just as if you were in Performance mode on an original Motif with keys....make sure they are both on MIDI channel 1 on the rack in the Multi....a nice bonus with the rack is 128 note polyphony vs 62 note polyphony on the original Motifs with keys....128 note polyphony allows much more layering if you choose before you would ever notice note stealing....on my Motif 8 I do notice note stealing when I layer sometimes (it depends on how many elements are in the voices that I layer)......with splits you don't notice it as much as you're not playing as many voices in one area....

Yamaha replaced the keybed for free for me on my Motif 8 years after I bought it and the new keys don't have keys that stick like the original keybed did......not many companies will give good customer service like that.....with most companies, if you're out of warranty, you're out of luck....

They also replaced the keybed on my P-200 piano for free years after the fact......very commendable service....the keybeds might have been the same because they both had the same problem....even though the P-200 didn't have aftertouch, it could have still had the same keys although the P-200 seemed to have much stiffer action.....maybe the P-200 just had stronger springs.....both keybeds came out at about the same time....

Archived