Keep or throw synth boxes?

rockfan

• Members

I live in a small 1-bdrm apt and have kept the boxes from synths, controllers, and other hardware I've purchased. Most of the items are already on stands or still the original box if not being used. The empty boxes are kept against the wall behind the sofas in my living room. I'm running out of space and am considering throwing them out. I could store them in the small attic but I'll end up accumulating boxes and the TX heat will end up destroying them. I know buyers want the item in the original box, but I'm not one to sell my gear, but if I do, 9 times out 10 it will be locally through Craiglist and not eBay. What do you guys recommend?

• Members

I'm inclined to pitch 'em after the warranty period. But I imagine they could be useful to keep. For example if you're a mobster, a 76 or 88 key synth box might be large enough to hide a dead body. Your neighbors might wonder why you're burying your old Korg N264 in the dead of night. Tell 'em to mind their own business - or else.

Or it may even accommodate a live one. I'm thinking human trafficking here. Someone crawls in. Someone else tapes it up and loads 'em on a truck. Then they head for the border.

I recall reading a news story a few years back about a large number of undocumented east European lingerie models who were apprehended hiding in old Ensoniq Fizmo boxes. Poor gals, they were working for peanuts.

As for me, I work in the gumbo trade. A synth box that size could accommodate up to 400-500 small servings of gumbo - frozen of course. Now and then I have occasion to cart large amounts of gumbo to places and events. Large synth boxes are one of the tools my gumbo teams could readily employ.

They're pros. They're trained to get it done, whatever it takes. They don't serve gumbo in lingerie though. And my customers appreciate that. I run a legit operation.

• Members

It helps if/when you move to have the original fitted box with the inserts. I had a Yamaha V-50 that moved from Illinois to Texas to Florida (and two more times in Florida) that never sustained a bit of damage because I could pack it properly. Same with my Wavestation A/D that started in TX.

• Members

If you can, I'd save them......they are nice if you ever decide to sell something......I'd seal them in leaf bags and put them in the attic.....the leaf bags will keep them like new if they are sealed air tight

Even though it may not be the case, original boxes that are like new and the styrofoam pieces gives the illusion the gear wasn't used much......the styrofoam pieces can be saved the same way.....label the bags with masking tape as to what's inside

Small string can keep the box as compact as possible before going into the bag

• 2 weeks later...

Archived