Picking The Right Synth

Hanley

• Members

I don't know if it's the background color or the font or the spacing or a combination and more than likely, my old eyes do not help at all, but for me at least that is just too hard to read unless I get really close to the screen and squint at it. I can read pretty much anything on the screen from where I sit but not that. As a result I did not read it, sorry.

• Members

I don't know if it's the background color or the font or the spacing or a combination and more than likely, my old eyes do not help at all, but for me at least that is just too hard to read unless I get really close to the screen and squint at it. I can read pretty much anything on the screen from where I sit but not that. As a result I did not read it, sorry.

I agree, very hard on my (55 year old) eyes as well.

• Members

I was able to read the article and found it informative for a noob. I would revisit the Bread & Butte section as what you describe is more of a subtractive synth as opposed to a ROMpler which is what most of us here would consider a bread & butter synth. ROMplers give you basic pianos, ep's, drums, bass, strings, leads, pads, guitars, brass, etc. all in one place as opposed to what you described as being a bread & butter synth. ROMplers are the Motif's and the Kronos's, and the FA-06/08's and the Kurzweils. If your aspirations are to be a "keyboard player", then I see a ROMpler as a necessity. You should also have a synth as well. On the other hand, and maybe this is where I'm confused, if you want to be a "synthesis" or "sound designer", then your advice is valid although the wording of "bread & butter" could be misunderstood.

BTW - I'm really enjoying your syntorial lessons and thought you did a good job of keeping your affiliation out of the article.

• Members

Several people have mentioned that. I think it's the gradient background, so I removed it. Would you mind taking another look just to see if it's easier to read?

• Members
I was able to read the article and found it informative for a noob. I would revisit the Bread & Butte section as what you describe is more of a subtractive synth as opposed to a ROMpler which is what most of us here would consider a bread & butter synth. ROMplers give you basic pianos, ep's, drums, bass, strings, leads, pads, guitars, brass, etc. all in one place as opposed to what you described as being a bread & butter synth. ROMplers are the Motif's and the Kronos's, and the FA-06/08's and the Kurzweils. If your aspirations are to be a "keyboard player", then I see a ROMpler as a necessity. You should also have a synth as well. On the other hand, and maybe this is where I'm confused, if you want to be a "synthesis" or "sound designer", then your advice is valid although the wording of "bread & butter" could be misunderstood.

BTW - I'm really enjoying your syntorial lessons and thought you did a good job of keeping your affiliation out of the article.

That's a good point. I am just referring to synths, not ROMplers, but now that you mention it, I myself have referred to those as bread and butter. I need a better name...

Archived