M-Audio keystation 88 controller

Jim-0Vya0

• Members

Does anyone have any experience with this keyboard in a live setting? I'd like to know if it has the capability to change tones using the keyboard or do you have to change the sounds directly on the tone generator/midi module. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

• Members

I use a Keystation 88es on the bottom and a 49es on top connected to my laptop running Cantabile VST Host (Forte works too). I don't change anything from the Keystation. I do all my setting up of patches (splits, layers, combis, etc) prior to the gig and just pull up the songs in my Set List. Of course the band has to give me a second to pull up the right patch, but so far it's been rock solid, dependable, and liberating. If you really want to be able to change patches from a controller you might want to look into another controller though. It works for me and my situation and not to mention it only weighs nothing. I'm considering an Arturia KeyLab 49 or 61 to go on top so I can be able to twist and slide my sounds better when I'm playing a solo.

• Members

When you say you don't use the controller to change sounds is it because you can't do that with the Keystation or is it just your personal preference? I'd love to get my hands on a Yamaha KX88, but those beasts are heavy!!!

• Members

AAAaaaarrrrgggghhh!!!!! I just consulted the manual for my Keystation 88 to answer your question, and I am shuddering from thinking what it would be like to use it in a live situation. Page 8 of the manual describes the process to change to patch 32:

• press the advanced functions button
  • press the black key above F4 (named F# 4),representing "Program"
  • presskeys C4, then E3 then C5. This enters the combination "3," '2," "ENTER."

This convoluted method would not be tooooooo bad between songs, but in the middle of a song???? You've got to be kidding me! I used to gig with a DX7, which has the same 32 button arrangement as the KX88, and it was bliss: press a single button and continue playing.

This is only my opinion, but I feel compelled to say that the M-Audio Keystation is absolutely the WORST feeling keyboard I have ever played, and the statement on page 3 of the manual:

"The Keystation offers semi-weighted keys that give you the feel of a piano ..."

is utter pabulum (in the ornithological sense). What piano ever had keys that pivoted right at the point where they entered the body of the instrument? The hassle with that is when you play a chord with your thumb and little finger on black keys it is very difficult to control any white keys with your other three fingers.

So the answer to your question is YES, but only if you you have a reasonable period of time available to execute the procedure. I hope you can find a KX88 for a good price.

• Members

As you can see from the above post, changing patches from the keyboard is not very intuitive. I keep my laptop with reach and I'd rather change things that way at the moment. As I said, some of the other controllers out there (Novation, Alesis, Arturia, etc) have keypads and displays that would make it easier to change patches. The laptop works for me because it's a part of my "instrument" in my case and I treat it that way.Most of the live VST hosts (Cantabile & Forte, not sure about Mainstage) I believe you can set up a "set list" that you could assign a pedal to increment through the set list. I haven't tried that myself but feel certain it can be done.

• Members

Get a MIDI Mouse or even better, a MIDI Moose.....you can change patches with your foot.....the MIDI Moose is faster....for the easiest setup with these, use a MIDI Merge to merge the MIDI Out on your main board with the MIDI from these pedals.....using these pedals, you'll need to adjust the MIDI settings in the synths they control and then you can select any patch in any bank you select (you select the bank from the synth itself).....with default MIDI settings it will always jump to the General MIDI bank.....I think it's a Bank select setting that needs to be turned off in each synth to prevent this from happening....

MIDI Moose

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIMoose

MIDI Mouse

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIMouse

MIDI Merger

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDImerge2/

What is even better is to get a MIDI foot controller that has 0 - 9 buttons instead of the MIDI Moose which has 2 numbers for every button.....if there aren't any new that are available, they are on Ebay all the time....

Using a synth that can transmit 1 - 128 program change messages is easier as long as you don't need sounds from that synth because every time you transmit a program change message, your sound in the synth changes as well......if you have all the sounds you need externally, you're fine.....

I use a Roland A-37 controller and it's complicated in it's own way too.....you have A & B banks and bank A covers 1 - 64 and B covers 65 - 128 but only using 1 - 8 buttons.....it would have been a ton simpler if they would have given you 0 - 9 buttons.....

An example how the A-37 selects sounds:

1 = 1 then 1.......2 = 1 then 2......3 = 1 then 3 and so on.....

I swear it's just easier to get a Motif XS7 used on Ebay.....open a case to report any issues within 45 days of purchase (don't let anyone talk you into waiting longer or they don't need to take responsibility) and Ebay covers you 100%...if you don't know how, call Ebay at the number below and they can help you....

The Motif XS7 has 76 keys which is enough and it's built like a tank and weighs about 45 pounds and has pretty much whatever sounds you need inside.....the Motif XS8 is heavier than I want to move (20 pounds heavier and they feel 3 or 4 times as heavy when you move them.....been there, done that)....the budget Motifs don't have the build quality that I want....it's a snap to find & select sounds in the Motif XS.....the Motif racks aren't the same as far as ease and speed in selecting sounds (well, how could they be? They're missing a ton of buttons that the keyboard versions have).....also, other than the inferior build quality, the budget Motifs that came out after the MO6 / MO8 don't have dedicated bank buttons....you have to scroll to select banks which slows things down...

Ebay Phone (hard to find actually):

866-540-3229

Archived