Korg keybed comparison

bobr

• Members

How does the Natural Hammer(NH) keybed of the Korg Krome 88 compare to the RH3 keybed of the M50-88 or Korg Kronos 88?

I have a TR88 that sports the RH2 keybed which is a much heavier action than the RH3. I was looking at a Krome because of its light weight

and lower price than a Kronos. Its feature set will fit my needs but I’m not sure about the keybed action and my local GC doesn’t have one to try out.

Anybody able to compare the two for me? Thanks.

• Members

I figured they’d be different but how is the Krome’s action different? Is it cheap and cheesy feeling? Heavier than than the RH3 bed like the TR88 and Triton Le? Or springy like a synth action with piano-type keys?

• Members

It is not springy like a synth action, it is still a hammer style weighted action. That said, yeah, I'd say it feels cheap and cheesy, as weighted actions go. There's something vague and imprecise about it. It kinda feels like mush. Oddly, based on the description, it would appear to use the same actions as the Krome (both described as NH), but I thought the Krome, while not a high end action, still felt better than the Kross. At least based on the ones I played. I don't know if this could have been unit-to-unit variation, or if the two actions are just fundamentally that different, despite sharing the same nomenclature.

• Members

I have only laid hands on the Krome 88 once. I much prefer the RH3 action to that of both the Krome 88 and the Yamaha MOX8. However, I was dissatisfied with the finger-to-sound connection (responsiveness) of my M50-88, which is the main reason I sold. I doubt that other boards with the RH3 action (such as SV1) have that problem.

• Members

Interesting pinkfloydcramer. I can’t say anything about the finger to sound connection but I did play a M5088 in a GC store and the action reminded me of a German baby grand my sister owns-very nice; as opposed to my TR88 which has the RH2 keybed and feels to me very much like an old Rhodes stage 88. Heavy keys and sluggish response. Was wondering if the Kromes keys, obviously not like a Kronos or M50 with RH3, would be nicer than my TR? I like the Triton sounds, etc. but it is a tank. very heavy to lug around.

Archived