Programmable Keyboard?

• Members

I have never bought a keyboard.

I'm searching for a keyboard/MIDI that can store sounds that I can find or create via various DAWs and samples, then record music with a mic just as if I was recording with any other instrument. I would rather have a more physical presence such as the traditional piano and synthesizer, but I do not have that kind of money. Well, at least not $5,000 for a minimoog. My reasoning would be that I can still have a more authentic reverb and acoustics in recording, even if source is still digital.

I hope I have expressed what I am looking for adequately. Any help or advice whatsoever will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Members

If I am reading your post correctly, you may want to consider a MIDI controller (such as a M-Audio Keystation, Arturia KeyLab, Novation, Akai, etc). Something that has tactile controls (knobs, sliders, and buttons) and have that plugged into a laptop which will be running your DAW, your samples, and your VST's. You could use (as I do) a VST host such as Cantabile or Forte - or Mainstage if you are on a Mac - and set things up so that each setup you want is stored in the program and you can pull them up pretty fast. Samples take longer to load. This would also be your cheapest alternative. Anything else is going to require buying a keyboard that will allow user sampling (such as a Korg Kronos, or Yamaha Motif) that you can load in the keyboard and have it available instantly. This would be your most expensive option. There are plenty of hybrid solutions anywhere in between. If you can be a bit more specific about what it is your trying to do, we can maybe assist you more. Based on what you asked already, that's all I got! Good luck and let us know if we can help you more.

Archived