need your help

voltass

• Members

Have an old Yamaha keyboard ,I was using midi out of this into a Yamaha qy-10 sequencer to trigger sounds . It worked perfectly save the qy-10 was lacking in sound quality . I got a decent digital piano but its hell to play. The keys are weighted and it hurts my wrists and fingers . So I connected midi out from my old non-weighted keyboard (which I love cause it plays so easy) to the input of the new ,hard to play but sounds good piano ....result ,crappy sounds from the old one come out the new one . I just want to use the new one as a sound module and play with the old one . ,would it have to do with midi channels or local control ect? This is kind of important to me if nobody else .If someone can gimmie a clue Id be grateful

ps. the new piano is a Yamaha product

• Members

I'm trying but something doesn't make sense here. MIDI doesn't carry audio signal so unless your audio signal path is still patched into the older keyboard then I cannot see how that would occur. Does the digital piano have a place for you to plug in headphones? I'm curious to know if you hear the same sound when you do.

• Members

I'm trying but something doesn't make sense here. MIDI doesn't carry audio signal so unless your audio signal path is still patched into the older keyboard then I cannot see how that would occur. Does the digital piano have a place for you to plug in headphones? I'm curious to know if you hear the same sound when you do.

I know it don't make sense . , The old keyboard is just plugged into the new one with midi cable and muted .The new one into my recorder via regular analog cable ,..and yes ,the headphone out . I play a note on the old one ,then on the new one and they are different sounds ,the old one of course sounding like a cheap piano and the new one sounding good . When I change sound on the old one the new one changes too but I put ,say "French horn" on the old one and crappy piano comes out new . When I play just the new it sounds good .Thanks for input .

• Members

Now I think I understand. The problem is the sound assigned to the incoming MIDI channel is probably the GM default piano sound. One of the cool things about MIDI is you can have several channels all assigned to different sounds. You just need to dig into the manual to tell the receiving keyboard what sound to associate with the incoming MIDI signal or tell it to use the same one the built-in keyboard uses.

• Members

thanks I read about that last night Ill try it tonight ,didn't know anything about it and thought it best to leave it alone . I hate to send it back ,I can use its sound .The keys are stiff and my hands are sore .

Maybe I should take up knitting . I can think of worse hobbies ,...like stalking and saying cruel things on a forum that only you think are clever . In the meantime you are going to have to forgive me for occupying space and making music .

Perhaps with that attitude and antagonistic approach, he might not be long for the site...

Please keep it civil w-w-wertard. You just signed up, so the site rules should still be fresh in your mind. If you can not, or are unwilling to follow them, we'll ask you to leave.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What is your "old Yamaha keyboard"?

Some of those old synths (DX7 for example) did not have a very high resolution for velocity sensitivity. As a result, the MIDI information it would send to a Grand Piano sound module would not give you the full range of expressive possibilities.

Archived