Gear You Wish You Hadn't Sold!

Outkaster

• Members

I've sold a lot of gear that was cool and fun to mess around with but looking at what I got to replace it, I made the right choice, but I've never had a real Hammond.....that would be cool (but I bet that would be a beast to move to a gig).....I definitely couldn't move that in my Toyota Corolla....

I know these aren't the same, but how do they compare?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAMMOND-XK-2-Stage-Keyboard-Case-NICE-Only-2295-0-ship-/291039147498?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item43c348f5ea

• Members

I pitched out an old vox contential a number of years ago. it had a broken key and I knew I never was going to use it again. In some ways I regret not selling it , but in others it was just fine moving it out of my life with zero baggage or hassle. Back in kalamazoo we had spring clean up days where you put stuff out and the city hauled it away. The old vox never made it to the dump... someone grabbed it up. I hope I made someones day. I would like to think that its in the hands of someone who would get it back into operation. I had hauled that thing from house to house for 30 some years ,, so I guess I needed a fast way to cut the ties. Stupid yea , but It felt right at the time lol

• Members

I figured the Hammond was heavy....too heavy for me.....I'm 52 and have been gigging since 1982......anymore I'm always shooting for lighter gear....my current setup for gigs is a Roland A-37 MIDI controller (my bottom board) running into a Yamaha Motif rack and a Roland XV-3080 rack......my top board is a Korg Karma running into a Roland XV-5050 rack....I find this setup fills my needs very well...both keyboards have aftertouch....I'm totally unfamiliar with the Vox organ you mentioned.....actually, my Korg Karma does outstanding B3 organs...it beats all the other rack gear I mentioned at B3 big time....those 3 rack synths fill my 4 space rack....the Korg Karma has all the Korg Triton waveforms but actually has different sounds made from them....usually the Motif rack covers my acoustic piano needs, but there are some pianos in the Rolands I can use too but they aren't quite as good, but they are different...(I added the Complete Orchestra & Complete Piano SRX and the Sound Effects SR-JV80 expansion)....I added the Vintage Synth & Concert Grand expansions to the Korg Karma....I still have room for 2 more SRX and 3 more SR-JV80 expansions in the Rolands....(I forgot that I also have the SR-JV80 Experience board in the XV-3080 but I would remove that when I get better SR-JV80 boards).....

I can't afford the latest and the greatest as far as gear goes.....but even used gear can do the job fine.....almost all my stuff I gig with was released over 10 years ago but no one in my band complains....it all delivers for a fraction of the price of new gear...

These are typical prices you can find with patience on Ebay:

Yamaha Motif Rack - $350 - $400....this has a lot more sounds than the Motif 6/7/8 which it is the rack version of....the PowerGrand acoustic piano sound actually cuts through the mix in a band better than most newer Motif acoustic pianos....this also has 2 user banks of 128 vs. 1 bank in the Motif 6/7/8....it holds two PLG expansion boards which are full-blown synths providing their own polyphony and user voice bank....

Roland XV-3080 - $300 - $400....Rack version of the Roland XV-88....128 note polyphony...this synth allows you to use the A - H bank buttons when in card mode to select 1024 patches (128 X 8) that can be anything from the first eight banks on the Smart Media card WITHOUT LOADING....you still of course have the 128 voice user bank to load 1 additional bank at once.....it holds two SRX and four SR-JV80 expansion boards

Roland XV-5050 - $300 - $400....reduced polyphony (64 from 128) but more patches and better effects than the XV-3080 - It holds two SRX expansion boards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Both the XV-3080 & XV-5050 have the same waveforms but the XV-5050 has improved effects including COSM effects

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roland A-37 - $300....76 key MIDI controller with aftertouch that can select all 128 sounds in each bank.....you select banks from the synth itself....turn off bank select in the synths or you will always get the GM bank after you select any sound from the A-37....turn off reverb, chorus & delay in all 128 patches on the A-37 when using it with Yamaha synths and then every sound you select will have the original unchanged effects.....

Korg Karma - $500 - $600....waveforms of the Triton but no touchscreen and lower quality keys and buttons....keys have aftertouch....it holds 2 expansions boards & MOSS board

The Yamaha Motif rack and the Roland XV-5050 both have a digital output in addition to the analog outputs for anything that is able to record from digital

sources....

The Korg Triton rack has digital output standard too.....I hope to get one sometime....I installed a board on my Motif ES6 that gives it digital inputs & outputs and some Sony CD recorders have digital inputs (the Sony CD recorder I bought demands that you use Music CD's which are more expensive so I use TDK CD-RW's that are Music CD's).....I then use the Switch music converter to convert them to wave files or MP3's in the computer...the only problem is if you master from the Motif to the digital input on the Sony, your volume is too low so the final master from the Motif is done into the analog jacks on the CD recorder to give you all the volume you need....it's still pure and quiet.....no red on the record levels = no clipping.....I have never found a way to increase the output of a file mastered digitally without getting clipping (distortion)....

The MP3 Gain program (it's free) can detect and remove even clipping from MP3's that you often don't seem to hear and it isn't until you compare it to the original that you notice how pure it sounds afterwards.....the down side is you lose volume when you remove clipping...you'd be amazed how many CD's from major labels have clipping....

• Members

Traded in an N364. I miss a lot of those N-series sounds. Miss the Triton Le I gave my son. But most of all, I miss my Roland RS9. 88 keys, 23 pounds, adequate sounds. Looks better than it sounds. but it has the 5 knobs and I LOVE the keys! It is a beautiful lightweight controller board. Didn't sell it. But it's 11,000 miles away. And it's too big to put in airline baggage.

• Members

Does the Roland RS9 have fully weighted keys?

If the Roland RS9 has a piano sound called "Nice Piano" (this sound was also in XV synths), remove all the reverb, or have very little, and it's actually a pretty decent acoustic piano....that sound may have been in the XP & JV synths as well....I'm not sure....on a stock Roland XV-3080, it seems to be the best acoustic piano sound (without the reverb).....

• Members
Does the Roland RS9 have fully weighted keys?

No. They're called' "semi-weighted". I'd call them piano-style keys with synth action. But I absolutely LOVED the key action.

I loved the whole instrument.

$(KGrHqIOKo8FGswgkF23BR),+Yun-g~~60_35.JPG

The synth only weighs 23 lbs.

When I moved overseas, I couldn't find one. So I bought an RS50 for the knobs & the sounds.

But the RS50 synth action is crap. I will buy another RS9 in a heartbeat IF I can find one in my part of the world -

which is doubtful.

Roland hasn't made an 88-key synth comparable to the RS9 since they stopped the line.

The Juno Stage had 76 synth keys. The RS9 had 88 piano keys with very light, synth-like action.

I think Roland needs to make an 88 key Juno with the 5 knobs & 88 piano-style keys. <30 lbs.

I really miss this synth.

2011-07-09_18-52-40_539.jpg

• Members

Buy another.....it should be easy to find one on Ebay from a seller that ships worldwide....

Another nice combination is a Roland A-37 MIDI controller and a Yamaha Motif rack ES.....the Motif ES rack's are much cheaper than an XS rack and much better than the original Motif rack (especially the acoustic piano)

This demo video is for a Yamaha MO8 which has the same sounds as the Motif ES rack....

Best board for the money....Yamaha MOXF8 for $1700 new....has all the Motif XF8 sounds and 88 weighted keys and weighs 33 pounds

the Motif XF8 costs $3500

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MOXF8/

The MOXF8 has all the sounds (plus more) that are in the following video:

Read the reviews at the Sweetwater link

Read these reviews too:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...er-workstation

$1500 but the MOXF8 is greatly improved for $1700

I have the Motif ES6.....earlier version....it's my best board

Musician's Friend and Sweetwater will ship anywhere.....play one locally if possible (but then you'll be hooked !!)

Another demo:

Type in "Yamaha Manual Library" in Google and once there you can download any manuals free.....type in MOX or MOXF and look at the Data List....it lists all the sound names (you aren't going to believe how many sounds are in it).....right click on the manual in results where it shows the size and choose "Save as".....

I bet the knobs on those give you all the controls you had on the other synth and a lot more.....a selector button selects what the knobs will do...

The videos don't do the board justice....I've played them at the music store and they sound way better in person......put on headphones when listening to these videos....that will help some....go on YouTube.....there are tons more videos.....there are more MOX6 / MOX8 videos than MOXF6 / MOXF8 videos as the MOXF6 / MOXF8 are newer...(that's a capital O in all these and not a zero)

Motif XS & Motif XF videos are good to watch too as they have the same sounds....

You can save a lot of money getting the 6 instead of the 8.....there are dedicated octave up & down buttons on the panel to give you the full range of MIDI....(just as an example, a Yamaha MOXF6, the newer one, is $1200 instead of $1700....

A MOX6 is $800 new

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keybo...er-workstation

The MOX6 / MOX8 will be disappearing as they sell out....the "6" models only have 61 keys....you be much happier with the 88 keys.....the only difference between the 6 & 8 on each model is the amount of keys, and the 88 keys are weighted and the 61 keys are unweighted....

The 88 key version might be too big to take on an airplane so here's a good option....get the 61 key version and get a Roland A-30 to play it from (I love the keys on an A-30):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-A-30-Midi-Controller-Keyboard-w-foot-pedal/171265829736?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.RVI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20643%26meid%3D5693069189139246175%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D9209%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D171272389611

Better photo:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bz85aqxsvx29co/Roland%20A-30.JPG

If you do get an A-30 and want to do sequence recording with the MOX6's sequencer, learn how to change MIDI channels on the A-30 as with each track you'll be on a different MIDI channel....

Roland Manual Library:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/owners_manuals/

• Members

I really don't hear much difference between the MOX8 and the Motif XS8.....the keys might feel cheaper on the MOX6 but it's way better to play it from another board with MIDI....I bet the keys make the difference....the tone generator is the same as the MOX8 and I have played one of those and was impressed big time.....

I have a Motif ES6 and it is way better when I play it from the keys on my Yamaha P-70 piano which is fully weighted....I also like the way it sounds when I play the Motif ES6 from the keys on my Roland A-30 (although the Motif ES6 keys are way better than the MOX6 keys)....

This is lowest price I have seen.....$1200 for a Yamaha MOX8:

http://www.tomleemusic.ca/index.php/homekeyboards/workstation-keyboards/154151.html

• Members
Buy another.....it should be easy to find one on Ebay from a seller that ships worldwide....

Another nice combination is a Roland A-37 MIDI controller and a Yamaha Motif rack ES.....the Motif ES rack's are much cheaper than an XS rack and much better than the original Motif rack (especially the acoustic piano)

The 88 key version might be too big to take on an airplane so here's a good option....get the 61 key version and get a Roland A-30 to play it from (I love the keys on an A-30):

I think shipping an RS9 would be more than it's worth. But I'd go for a different controller that had the dedicated knobs (not assignable -- they're already assigned.) and the RS9 style keys. There was a local guy who wanted to sell his RS9 for $600. I could get it for 500 USD - if he is still around.

Right now, I'm using an MAudio Axiom 61 (not bad-but you have to assign the knobs) and an RS50 for the knobs. I use the MAudio to control all my synths except a Korg M3m. For that I use the RS 50 with its crap keys & five assigned knobs.

• Members

I don't think there is anything I've sold that I regretted. I finally parted ways with my Juno 106 a couple years ago. I still have my JX10, and I probably won't ever sell that.

Speaking of the RS9, my bass player has one. He brought it to rehearsal and let me use it to check it out, it's not a bad board, nice and light, but I wouldn't have a need for an 88 note synth action keyboard.

Archived