Programing music

Zeethoven

• Members

Hello,

I have a few questions about how to program certain musical effects. Im using a yamaha mox6. First is what is the best way to do a timpani roll? Depending on the circumstances I often times play things in real time but sometimes I may find it more easier to program certain things, like drum beats in particular. Also when I switch back and forth from real time to step recording on the same track the sound changes drastically since playing in real time adds more dynamics to the music. Is there a way to make it sound as if there was no switch between man and machine? And lastly sometimes I may lay a track and then add more to that track at a later date. Is there a way to make the volume even if I forget the previously recorded volume level? Or would it be less complicated if I just write down the volume levels?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

• Members

Depends too on the type of roll and the musical context. If you have a good multisample with graduated attacks, you could trigger this with an LFO with pitch and amplitude envelopes. The quieter the roll the slower the " L R " requirement, the lower the pitch -of the LFO. For instance if you wanted an "eeeAAND THE WINNER IS !!! ..." kind of roll, you could do it manually by starting with a single strike MF or so and before that dies out come back in at the decayed dynamic level with 16th notes between 60 and 80 bpm accelerating as required. If this works with the samples you have you can program the LFO to do the roll part and maybe resample the whole thing.

Along that line you could try a sustaining timpani sample pianissimo with the slow 60 to 80 bpm "sticking" trying for a smooth percussion free long tone and and insert those parts as loud as you need 'em.

Archived