MoForte GeoShred iPad App "Crowdsourced" Pro Review

Anderton

• Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31748736[/ATTACH]

I loved this iPad app when I first tried it, and several months later…I love it more. But that’s because even though it’s an iPad app, it’s a musical instrument and like all musical instruments, I’m getting better at it. To find out more about GeoShred, please check out my review.

So it’s time for a Pro Review, but this time, we’ll be taking a different tack: a crowdsourced Pro Review. Of course, all Pro Reviews are crowdsourced to a great degree because everyone is invited to comment and ask questions, but we’re going one step further:

We’ll provide 15 of you with a free, unlimited code to download the app so you can review it yourself!

However, there’s a catch: You have to commit to trying out GeoShred, and commenting on your experiences in this thread. And of course, you also need an iPad 2 or higher. How easy/difficult is it to learn? Which options do you like best? What do you think of the modeling effects? Is this something you’d use in the studio or live? Don’t agonize over writing a huge summary, but do a post every now and then as you find out more about the app, starting with your first impressions. I’d rather see 20 quick, interesting posts than one huge post, but if you want to do huge posts…be my guest!

And feel free to create audio or video examples we can post on the Harmony Central YouTube channel.

So here’s what you need to do:

PM me (Anderton) and explain why you want to check out GeoShred (determines who gets a code in case of a tie), and that you understand in return for getting a free download code, you’ll be posting in this thread. That’s all there is to it! Allow a day or two after your request before you get the code. If you don’t receive a reply, it simply means we’ve run out of codes…but you can certainly feel free to spring the bucks to get your own, and comment anyway.

I really think you’re gonna love this app, but thanks to this Pro Review, you can be the judge of that and let us know what you think. Have fun, and let the games begin!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31748737[/ATTACH]

• Members

Heads-up - we're starting to send out the codes, and were able to wrangle a few more so if you're interested, don't delay or you'll miss out.

Phil O'Keefe already pulled rank to get a code...he sure gets a lot of mileage out of the compromising pictures he has of "certain Harmony Central personnel" from the last NAMM show...

Heads-up - we're starting to send out the codes, and were able to wrangle a few more so if you're interested, don't delay or you'll miss out.

Phil O'Keefe already pulled rank to get a code...he sure gets a lot of mileage out of the compromising pictures he has of "certain Harmony Central personnel" from the last NAMM show...

Those pics have served me very well. ;):lol:

I just downloaded the app and messed with it for a few seconds, then went over to their website and watched a few videos to get a better idea of what GeoShred is all about, and what the possibilities are.

I have to say, I'm really intrigued! It has a new user interface paradigm compared to most iPad apps, and while I can see it taking a while to "learn it" (because as Craig said, it's an actual musical instrument as opposed to just an app that makes noises), but compared to the typical V.I. it seems to offer a ton of expressiveness. I'm on my second viewing of Jordan's "how to play GeoShred" video.

[video=youtube;JTW3WUVDRhM]

Once the word gets out about how cool this is, I imagine those free licenses will go fast, so if you're interested in checking it out, please drop either Anderton or Phil O'Keefe a PM and we'll get you set up. :wave:

• Members

Quite interesting indeed. Uses iPad possibilities to the full. But more importantly, it feels like a new instrument, combining the sliding and harmonic possibilities of a guitar with all sorts of sounds like cinematic textures or pads.

Different playing styles (piano / guitar / slide) and even palm mute or guitar-like feedback allow for a broad canvas of expressions, Above all, this app is highly musical and creative as if a violin or guitar was reinvented to play all sorts of instruments by pushing and pulling strings. Guitar presets include a dobro steel guitar, a sitar and a shredding axe. I also love the on-screen directions, making it easy to understand the app. Maybe I would have preferred another GUI like the colorful skeumorphism of Seline Redux or the stark modernity of Orphion, but that would be nitpicking. Would be great to see some flutes or other wind instruments next update. All-in-all, one of the best iPad apps I ever played.

And it's the first time I sensed that this cold slab of glass can really be an original instrument on its own, instead of a merely mimicking gimmick.

Moreover, it even works on my old 16GB iPad 2.

Congrats, mr. Rudess. You ARE a wizard.

The ease in which you can add vibrato to a note is very cool... and very guitar-like. I also love the way you can "slide" notes. I've only been using it for a day or so, and I can already see what Craig means by it being an instrument in a way that most iPad apps are not due to the expressiveness.

• Members

Well, I just spent a few minutes after downloading the app, and it has a sort of addictive quality to it, because it's different than other musical instrument/fx apps I've used. As a pianist who formerly played guitar, but not for 20 years or more, it is taking me a bit of time to get used to the layout. But I had a great time checking out the presets, and I've only spent a little while trying out about 1/3 of them. Looks like it's easy to save your own presets, too. Once I started to use it more, I got a bit more adept at sliding notes and applying vibrato with my fingers. I like the Expression touchpad, and the variety of sounds is pretty amazing. I will be hooking this up to my studio setup later and will be able to judge the sounds better, as of now I'm just using my iPad Pro on the dining room table after a quick lunch break. After starting this review, I loaded up Cubasis and my cover version of Wild Thing, added a Geoshred track via IAA, and played along using a power chord patch. Mucho fun, indeed! There appears to be Audiobus support, too, but I haven't tested it out yet, will do so later. The pop up help is good, but I didn't see any menu system for help, I know there are videos,, however, so that will come later. But for just opening it up and fiddling around, it shows a lot of promise. I will be back with more hands-on experiences soon. Thanks for giving us the opportunity to try it out. Downloading this with a free coupon code made it likely I would try it, but at it's current price it might be somewhat of a luxury. Then again, I may change that opinion once I get more of a handle on this highly creative app.

• Members

Thanks for the comments. FWIW I paid for my copy, I didn't give myself a code :)

Wait until you find out there's more than one page - the effects page is pretty cool in its own right. I have no idea how they were able to wring that kind of sophisticated modeling out of an iPad, but hey, that's not my problem...and I"m using it with an iPad 2, which I find even more surprising.

• Members

Fired it up on an older iPad2. I found this app quite interesting and with an incredible amount of options to play with.... For example, if you are to create a guitar preset there 6 different flavors of guitars to choose from are 18 different pedals of effects pedals. Double tapping on the guitar or effect brings up it's settings which has a basic screen or expert mode with even more settings. I could see myself spending hours upon hours just fiddling around setting up presets. Some of the existing presets are amazing and you have a lot of ways to express yourself. A few drawbacks are that I had the app freeze from time to time when playing 6 or more fingers at the same time and sometimes it would randomly minimize itself while playing. I chalk that up as probably due to the age of the iPad2. I would love to see it have the ability to assign the Control Surface to MIDI as well as the internal instruments which open up a realm of new possibilities if you were to connect it to a DAW on another machine or any other external MIDI instruments. I would pay more just to use this app as a controller!

Well' date=' I just spent a few minutes after downloading the app, and it has a sort of addictive quality to it, because it's different than other musical instrument/fx apps I've used. [/quote']

I agree - addictive is a good way to describe it. I attribute that to it being fun to play with - and fun is a big plus with an app like this. :)

As a pianist who formerly played guitar, but not for 20 years or more, it is taking me a bit of time to get used to the layout.

It's probably more familiar for a guitarist, but it still takes a while to get comfortable and fluid with it - but that's going to be true of any instrument. IMO this is pretty intuitive (at least for guitarists), while being more playable than most of the typical "virtual fretboard" layouts used in many guitar apps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have greatly enjoyed the opportunity to use this app. It is among a handful of iOS apps that I feel truly utilize touch in a musical and inspiring way (others being Animoog and NOISE). Since I am not of means to buy something like a Seaboard, this is the next best thing. It makes me want to buy an iConnectMidi so I can incorporate it into my desktop recording setup. It is that good.

The app is well laid out and does not have much of a learning curve. It sets out to inspire right out the gate, and the amount of sounds provided is nothing short of generous. Aside from obvious guitar sounds one might expect from an app named Geoshred, there are synth sounds, sfx, basses, a cello, mallet/bell and pluck type sounds, and more. Each of these presents new and unique applications for the touch control, and most lead to pleasant and engaging surprises. Bending on the guitar presets is phenomenal, as one might desire and expect from an app like this.

The fact that all of these sounds arise from physical modeling makes me like this app even more. I adore physical modeling vst's such as those by AAS, and the tech here is equally impressive. It sounds great and provides for a lot of versatility w/o a large memory/storage hit.

This app has also benefitted me as a songwriting tool. It is easy to come upon interesting chord progressions quickly, which I then port over to other instruments. Because I am admittedly not a king of music theory, this is a great boon.

I look forward to seeing this thing expand and would be in line to buy more content. I have a blast with it, as does my six year old.

Thanks for the opportunity to try this expressive and fun app!

• Members

Thanks for the opportunity to give Geo Shred a try! Have to say, off the bat, the interface is super slick and easy to use - even though I'm not a guitar player by trade (keys are more my thing). This app really rocks. The sounds are really GREAT and I've been able to get some cool variations while mucking around with the FX chains and Expression pad. The vast array of presets is really cool and you have anything from Synthy Voices to Sonic Textures (some of my favorites come from this category). Been using this on my iPad Air 2 with no problems - CPU usage is very reasonable. Was exploring the Performance Settings this morning and came across the arpeggiator...wow....having a ton of fun messing around with this. Would really love a way to connect this app directly into my desktop DAW or it would be great to have a record and export function (maybe it's there and I just haven't found it yet)! Browsed some of the YouTube tutorials which seem helpful. This app is very deep and well constructed. Immediate inspiration for some killer sounds and riffs. I look forward to the future of Geo Shred. Keep up the great work!

• Members

I tend to use my iPad as a sketch pad for sounds and ideas whilst travelling or away from my workstation. Having used a number of apps, this is the first unique instrument I have come across. I would call it the chapman stick of apps for those of you who know what a chapman stick is or ever attempted to play one. I usually end up playing with the configuration of apps within the first half hour having browsed through the presets, but with Geo Shred I have hardly explored the possibilities mainly because I have had so much fun playing the damn thing!

As a creative tool for coming up with hooks and melodies it provides inspiration and the sounds whether in ear buds on the road or through studio speakers when hooked into a DAW, are top quality. I can't really find any negatives other than it would be good to see this app benefit from a wider spectrum of sounds outside of the guitar realm given its playability options and the capability for creating expressive melodies and solos

• Members

Very interesting and perceptive comment about likening it to a Chapman Stick. One aspect I really like about GeoShred, which often is overlooked because of the cool sounds/feedback options/effects/etc. is the "keyboard/fretboard" layout, which strikes me as something to which both keyboard players and guitarists can relate.

• 6 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived