Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, here's a link to a site where people have changed the guts out of Variax and added them to their favorite guitars. Some really nice axe's built from scratch too. Hope i can link this Craig.
    Some serious GAS attack there!!!
    Later
    Brian
    http://www.instituteofnoise.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17
    http://www.reverbnation.com/brianreynolds

Guitars
    Fender Tele
    Ibanez RG 770
    Fender Strat
    Martin DX
    Baldwin 12

Rig
    Marshall JVM 215c
    AxeFX II
    Mac Pro 2008
    Logic
    Fx's x'1000
    Audio Intruments x's 1000
    Roland TD 8

Smile if your not wearing panties

Comment

<<What's Line6 paying you?>>

For the record: Nothing.

They did buy a banner ad above the forum. But that was after the decision to do the Variax review. As far as I know, there was no connection other than that I do know some Line 6 people are regulars here on SSS, and they probably picked up on my opinion of their gear

Fact of the matter is, I've gotten some great sounds out of Line 6 products, and I think they do a great job. Then again, I've also gotten some fantastic sounds out of the DigiTech GNX4 and GNX3000, NI Guitar Rig, and IK AmpliTube. Is that a problem for you?

Finally, this is an "open source" review. If you have a problem with any of the review's factual content (as opposed to conspiracy theories), post away! That's the luxury of doing it online.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I am getting a variax and Pod live this week and even though you are unpaid for your perspective, your advice and direction have always been very helpful .

I read your review, else where. The review addressed alot of issues I was considering regarding variax.
        I have a Roland VG-8 and ever since I put a lip stick tube pick-up in a national steel body guitar, I have been hooked on mutant guitar building.
        thanks
        Variax , Pod XT Live
        Chandler lap steel

Comment

I've had the WB since summer '05 and love it. Any chance in the future that there might be some model packs available for the WB the way they are for the PODx?

For example, it would be really cool to have a "Collector's Classics" pack with korina Vs, SG 6/12s, Jazzmasters, Mosrites, Maccaferri Selmers, etc. as well as a "Custom" pack with various high-end stuff like Pensa/Suhr/Sadowsky/Tom Anderson- type superstrats in various exotic woods. This pack could also have overwound classic pickups, Lace Sensors, Bartolinis, EMGs, Duncans, etc...

...just my own personal wish list.
          Originally posted by phaeton
          Linux cronyism is a bunch of farsical scare-tactic posturing by the Liberal Media to fund pinko homoerotic Leftist neo-commie agendas, take our rights and guns away and undermine American Values to drag everyone down to the same level of doom and gloom misery as inner-city crackwhore welfare moms.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton

Actually, I don't know if there has been...and I wonder if the Line 6 update did something to the Variax too, not just the USB adapter. Anyone out there from Line 6? Can you answer?

It did. That wasn't the USB adapter firmware being updated to version 3.05, it was in fact the Variax firmware. I don't doubt that some wording in there might have been a bit confusing though. Line 6 seems to update their software a lot more often than they update their shipping products. I understand the logistics of why that is, but it does often leave you with quite a lot of updating to do after installing anything.

You can also download the files needed to update your variax (or monkey, or workbench...) here for that "music computer not attached to the 'net" issue you experienced. The most recent version is 3.10, posted on Jan 6th.

Comment

I purchased a Variax and Line 6 Pod live
              brought it home upgraded the firmware and now everything is loaded with the current versions.

the Variax is being recorded into Sonar 3
              (Sonar 5 is sitting waiting to be installed.)

the result are impressive. I have never player a 52' gold top ...so ?

so I forgot about the names of the guitars and attended to
              recorded using thefactory installed sounds .

I'm happy.

it sounds good to me . I added a PSP Vintage warmer and the Mix Presser to the tracks

the sound is better than anything that I ever got at home, recording from an amp. it's dead quiet. no nothing , just pristine silence.

I openned up the work bench and openned the national biscuit used an open "E". loaded it and played. I folllowed the same steps
              with the parlor guitar .
              now there is a duet recorded. I created a lp special with a P-90 pu in the bridge and a lipstick tube pu in the middle . recorded that, and it was "winged eel fingerling " all day. add a nice little deluxe with some grit and that's it, that's all

thank you all for your hints tips and encouragement.
              Variax , Pod XT Live
              Chandler lap steel

Comment

<<so I forgot about the names of the guitars and attended to
                recorded using the factory installed sounds.

I'm happy. >>

You totally get it!! Glad you're happy. I realize the Variax will never be all things to all people, but it's a piece of genius technology that crosses the line comfortably into art. Workbench is the icing on the cake.

Comment

I'm passingly familiar with the variax (I understand the basic premise, but have yet to try one)

Q: with this new toolbox, is there facility to make non-guitar models (sort of like the HRM that Roland put into the VG system)?

Comment

The Variax doesn't really do synthesis-type sounds. You can get some off the wall sounds, but they are always either guitar- or bass-like.

However, the new Line 6 bass amps at NAMM have a "synth" position that creates some excellent synth bass sounds.

Comment

ah, I was wondering how they implemented, say, the sitar sound

In that I mean there may be more parameters in the SW than is currenty being passed by the UI

(or possiby the limited parameters, but not covaried and resitricted to produce 'guitar models' as such - not so muh 'synth sound', but a more open programming interface - so , basically, you are getting direct acess to the processing parameters as opposed to "guitar building" parameters negotiated by the UI - like playing a omputer game in test mode with the input validation disabled)

thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                        <<so I forgot about the names of the guitars and attended to
                        recorded using the factory installed sounds.

I'm happy. >>

You totally get it!! Glad you're happy. I realize the Variax will never be all things to all people, but it's a piece of genius technology that crosses the line comfortably into art. Workbench is the icing on the cake.

lets see, which review did I read, that this approach was suggested as a possible approach for using the unit?
                        Variax , Pod XT Live
                        Chandler lap steel

Comment

and the sounds it produces are cool...

The guitar itself sucks big time as a player, particularly the neck in the 1st position. My thumb has no comfortable place to go as the headstock/neck connection area is very abrupt, squared off and uncontoured and that's where my thumb likes to hang out when playing chords in that position.

But I bought it with the eventual intention of transferring the innards to a Tele.
                          "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt about in your philosophy, Horatio."

"Live Long and Prosper."

Comment

Lucky

I recently noticed that Warmoth now makes retrofit variax necks so that might be an option for ya requiring less surgery
                            On a related note

Q: Is there enough in-body real estate to allow for routing and adding more trad electronics?

Comment

Ya I've been wondering this also, just getting a good neck with possibly a locking nut! I've fiddled to death with the 600 and still find tuning and intonation issues even after getting sperzel tuners she still slides outa tune constantly! Still no regrets though
                              About enough body room for pickups etc. there are some guys over at http://www.instituteofnoise.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=17.
                              Some guys have both their traditional pickups of choice and the variax guts together in one guitar, but you can't run pickup into variax or the oposite. Just a switch to toggle between the 2!
                              You may want to check this out. Parker with a variax implant.
                              http://photobucket.com/albums/v367/tattooedcarrot/NAMM06/?action=view&current=IMG_0397.jpg
                              Umm price is something like $10000...
                              Come on lottery!!!
                              http://www.reverbnation.com/brianreynolds

Guitars
                              Fender Tele
                              Ibanez RG 770
                              Fender Strat
                              Martin DX
                              Baldwin 12

Rig
                              Marshall JVM 215c
                              AxeFX II
                              Mac Pro 2008
                              Logic
                              Fx's x'1000
                              Audio Intruments x's 1000
                              Roland TD 8

Smile if your not wearing panties

Comment

the warmoth necks are appealing, because I have large hands and very thick fingers.
                                the only neck that has ever been comfy for me is a wide classical neck.

the number of options offered for their other necks is really great. the scale length, the back contours and nut widths and compund neck radius all seem to offer some thing for most hands .
                                Variax , Pod XT Live
                                Chandler lap steel

Comment

Working...
                                X