Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jotown
    Do you know if there has been a firmware revision for the Variax since it's initial release?

Jotown,

We revised Variax firmware to be compatible with the Workbench system. If you own a Workbench, the included Line 6 Monkey utility will identify the version of firmware your guitar has and take you through the steps (as Craig outlined) to download the Workbench compatible version. If you don't have a Workbench, you don't need to have the latest version, since it's main purpose is to allow Workbench to function with the guitar.

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich at L6

Jotown,

We revised Variax firmware to be compatible with the Workbench system. If you own a Workbench, the included Line 6 Monkey utility will identify the version of firmware your guitar has and take you through the steps (as Craig outlined) to download the Workbench compatible version. If you don't have a Workbench, you don't need to have the latest version, since it's main purpose is to allow Workbench to function with the guitar.

Rich

I downloaded the freeware version of workbench. It never installed. It was because my variax firmware was not compatible.
      How do I update the variax fimware? Can I do it thru the POD XTL? I want to use this but I can't. BTW, I have a Variax 300.

Also, I emailed this question several times to Line6 Tech support but got no reply.......

Comment

Criag, I was able to download the L6 Monkey program and all the firmware updates for my POD XT on my Internet machine and then just burn them to a CD-R for transportation to my studio DAW program - which is too far away for me to connect to the router via a USB cable.

You can find the Line 6 download site here.

Great review. Sounds like a must have for Variax tone tweakers and experimenters.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

<<Great review. Sounds like a must have for Variax tone tweakers and experimenters. >>

Yes, it is. If it was $300 or something, I'd think twice. But for under $100 at the average store, it's a lot of (relatively) cheap thrills.

Hmmmm...maybe I should post some of the patches I've come up with here....
          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I think that would be a great idea. Free patches, courtesy of CA - how cool is that?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Craig wrote:

"you can violate the laws of physics in Line 6’s virtual world, and do things like tune your 6th string up an octave."

and

"And, I’ve found some “hybrid” guitar sounds that go against the original idea of modeling specific guitars, but to me, this is a totally valid Variax application."

and also

"It “opens up” the guitar to possibilities that are, quite simply, achievable in no other way, and with no other instrument."

~~~~~~

The above are perhaps the absolute best reasons to invent something like this. Imitations of other guitars, etc. don't hold as much interest for me. But creating something that could not possibly exist but sounds cool, different, physically impossible...now to me that's interesting.

Cool thread.
              Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

I downloaded the freeware version of workbench. It never installed. It was because my variax firmware was not compatible.
                How do I update the variax fimware? Can I do it thru the POD XTL? I want to use this but I can't. BTW, I have a Variax 300.

Also, I emailed this question several times to Line6 Tech support but got no reply.......

You can use the POD xtL to connect the Variax to the Internet via your computer and update your firmware. I'm away from the office, but believe that your V300 will update to v3.07 firmware after you update. Plug a Variax digital interface cable into the Variax input on the xtL (the other end goes in the RJ45 output of the guitar of course). Connect the xtL to your computer via the USB output. It will now allow you to access the downloads on our site, in place of using the Workbench hardware.

Go to the Line 6 software download page by clicking on "Support" on our main page. Once there, download the Line 6 Monkey by selecting it from the Software drop-down menu. Click "Show" to access the right version for your system. Once installed, run the Monkey and you will see which version you have and can update your V300 to work with Workbench. Please note this caveat from the site that may apply to your PC setup:
                IMPORTANT: There is an issue with Line 6 Monkey and systems that have an Athlon XP processor and the nVidia 2 chipset when updating a Variax 300 or through PODxt Live. As the problem is very hardware-specific, we ask that you seek out a different PC configuration for the update. We have experienced no issues running the Workbench 1.10 application with PODxt Live/Variax 300 on such systems once the update is complete.

Please check this out and let me know how it turns out. If you run into problems, let me know and I'll be sure to hae someone contact you Monday when we get back to the shop.

Rich at Line 6

Comment

You can use the POD xtL to connect the Variax to the Internet via your computer and update your firmware. I'm away from the office, but believe that your V300 will update to v3.07 firmware after you update. Plug a Variax digital interface cable into the Variax input on the xtL (the other end goes in the RJ45 output of the guitar of course). Connect the xtL to your computer via the USB output. It will now allow you to access the downloads on our site, in place of using the Workbench hardware.

Go to the Line 6 software download page by clicking on "Support" on our main page. Once there, download the Line 6 Monkey by selecting it from the Software drop-down menu. Click "Show" to access the right version for your system. Once installed, run the Monkey and you will see which version you have and can update your V300 to work with Workbench. Please note this caveat from the site that may apply to your PC setup:
                  IMPORTANT: There is an issue with Line 6 Monkey and systems that have an Athlon XP processor and the nVidia 2 chipset when updating a Variax 300 or through PODxt Live. As the problem is very hardware-specific, we ask that you seek out a different PC configuration for the update. We have experienced no issues running the Workbench 1.10 application with PODxt Live/Variax 300 on such systems once the update is complete.

Please check this out and let me know how it turns out. If you run into problems, let me know and I'll be sure to hae someone contact you Monday when we get back to the shop.

Rich at Line 6

I tried several times to update thru the XTL. am running a P4 and I am not running the nvidia chipsets. Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by MoreGuitars

I tried several times to update thru the XTL. am running a P4 and I am not running the nvidia chipsets. Any suggestions?

When you get the Line 6 Monkey window up, it should tell you what firmware version you have in the guitar and also what the latest version available is. Can you get this far? If so, what does it say the firmware version in your guitar is and also does it show v3.07 as the latest?

I'll be away from the computer until Monday. Please reply and I'll be certain that we get someone to help you get your V300 updated.

Rich at Line 6

Comment

I just found this out from Marcus Ryle at Line 6:

"Variax Workbench software is available as a free download for guitarists that also own either a PODxt Live or a Vetta II. Both of these products can connect digitally to a Variax, and also to a computer (via USB on the PODxt Live, and via any USB-to-MIDI interface for the Vetta II). In the case of PODxt Live, you also get the benefit of having a digital audio connection to your computer via USB, so not only can you perform all of the Variax Workbench features, but you can record digitally into a recording application any sounds you create."

Well now that's pretty cool, I didn't know you could get the software for free without the hardware!

Comment

As promised, here are some patches I came up with using Workbench. Just click on the Attachment button and download.

A Fifth of 12 tunes the upper two strings in fifths instead of unison. It sounds great with barre chords.

Folk Rock 12 does some fun things with pickup placement and phase.

Midrange Scoop puts the pickups in a "X" and throws them out of phase, which basically drops the 3rd and 4th strings out of the sound.

60s 12-String places both pickups in the neck, and uses an out of phase/series connection.

Tamboura is just a thinner version of the stock Sitar patch.

Telepaul just sounds cool. Try various bodies.

Have fun!

Comment

Cool Beans Craig,
                          You said PodXT live; does that mean you cannot do it with a regular PodXT?
                          "It's all good; except when it's Great."

www.jotown.com

Comment

I'm assuming just the PODxt Live, but I'm waiting for official confirmation from Line 6.

Comment

This just in from Marcus Ryle at Line 6:

"Good question. Variax Workbench software can be used without its hardware interface only with products that provide a Variax Digital Interface connection built in, which is why this is possible only with PODxt Live and Vetta II. If someone has a PODxt (not Live), it is still a great companion for Variax, and can be used for audio monitoring while using Variax Workbench, but the hardware interface provided with Variax Workbench will be required in order for the computer to communicate digitally with the Variax."

Comment

When you get the Line 6 Monkey window up, it should tell you what firmware version you have in the guitar and also what the latest version available is. Can you get this far? If so, what does it say the firmware version in your guitar is and also does it show v3.07 as the latest?

I'll be away from the computer until Monday. Please reply and I'll be certain that we get someone to help you get your V300 updated.

Rich at Line 6

Well it works now! I had a few problems, I got some problems with midi interference from my keyboard, and for some reason it crashed a couple times. (A message came up to disengage gigastudio), so I did, and the firmware update worked.

BTW, This is the "Free" version!!!
                                After that it went thru without a hitch. This is really cool!

Comment

Working...
                                X