No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is the little things.

Indeed it is!
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Hey Craig!

I've had Sonar P5 for a week now and am loving it. So I firmly believe my issue is user error...

I am having an issue getting MTC to send to my Tascam DM3200..I've tried about everything between the Sonar manual and the DM3200, but to no avail. I wonder if you have any tips on how to hook it up so the DM3200 recieves MTC?

BTW, I posted this at the Tascam forum as well.. but you are the man for Sonar.

My specs are:

PC P4 3.0 w/ 2 gig ram
      USP connected to the DM3200
      (I tried midi in/out didn't work)

I have 2 Mackie control surfaces (reg and XT) installed and a MMC for transport on the DM3200. All the transport and control surface features work. I tried the prescribed MTC set up and no luck. The DM3200 says the MTC is supposed to send and return on USB 3.

I remember your columns in the ancient Guitar Player mags of my youth on making Fuzz boxes and such...I am a fan.

can you help?
      Geezer Brigade #28...

Strings, Wires, Paper, Wood, Steel, Plastic, Ebony, Glass, Metal, Mesh Fingers, Arms, Legs, Lungs, Brain. TIme.

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

• Well, I'm not back home yet, and I don't have a 3200...but when I get back, I can at least check that Sonar is producing MTC. Give me a coupla days............

Comment

• Thanks!

I realize it's a unrealistic request given the other parameters, but at least if I can be sure I can get MTC out of Sonar it will help. (I'm still working on it as well.)
          Geezer Brigade #28...

Strings, Wires, Paper, Wood, Steel, Plastic, Ebony, Glass, Metal, Mesh Fingers, Arms, Legs, Lungs, Brain. TIme.

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

• PerfectSpace Reverb. Interestingly, this is found under the VST effects menu...

That's because it is essentially the Voxengo Pristine Space Light plugin, adapted to Sonar. Voxengo plugins are well known for their high quality, so this is a nice addition...
            Cubase SX 3 | Wavelab 6 | NI Komplete 3
            1 x AMD Opteron 270 | 2 Gb Corsair CMX1024RE
            Lexicon Omega USB | ADAM S1A Monitors

Comment

• <<Voxengo plugins are well known for their high quality, so this is a nice addition...>>

That explains a lot, I like Voxengo plug-ins. And yes, it is indeed a nice addition!

Comment

• Craig,

I got the MTC to work! It took some experimenting, but it's all good now got the code showing up on the DM3200 meter bridge and all woop!

BTW Sonar P5 rules!

Perfect Space is a fine addition as well.
                Geezer Brigade #28...

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

• <<I got the MTC to work! It took some experimenting, but it's all good now got the code showing up on the DM3200 meter bridge and all woop!>>

Well don't leave us in suspense...what made the difference in getting it to work?

Comment

• Craig,

I hooked up a midi in and out to the DM3200 (in addition to the USB).
                    There were about 5 screens to set up in SOnar and a couple in the DM3200 and Voila! it all works.

Much of this insight came from this pdf File

http://homepage.mac.com/mccormick_mack/.Pu...l%20Surface.pdf

that was posted on the Cakewalk Sonar forum by a DM24 owner.

A good chunk of the problem was that I had missed one screen in Sonar for directing the MTC to the midi out.

I think the main lesson was the USB connection was unable to send/recieve the MTC...at least for me, whereas the midi cable in/out works on the DM3200.

live and learn

Loving this desk!
                    Geezer Brigade #28...

Moogletyshmorpfh

Comment

• Has anyone using Sonar and Tascam
                      FW-1884 noticed that the Master fader
                      goes to a different 0 setting -
                      if you use the hardware "Master 0 db"
                      button it goes to one spot, if you use
                      the Sonar Snap-to (double-click), it
                      goes to a slightly higher position.

Any thoughts on why that could be?

Gonna post this over on the Tascamforums as well ...

- ft

PS - Thanks for the review - convinced me
                      that I need the S5 upgrade sooner
                      than later, so got with my Sweetwater
                      sales and it's here!
                      --
                      Freddie Tane
                      www.tanetunes.com

Comment

• Can somebody tell me how good ASIO implementation in Sonar 5 is?

Can I get 0 latency with the appropriet sound card?

Is it better to use WDM drivers or ASIO?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Bhagavat
                          Can somebody tell me how good ASIO implementation in Sonar 5 is?

Can I get 0 latency with the appropriet sound card?

Is it better to use WDM drivers or ASIO?

Thanks

S5 works great with ASIO and my RME Multiface.

0 ms latency is theoretically impossible (cards that give Zero Latency Monitoring let you monitor through the audio interface, not the software/computer). I can run small projects at 1.5 ms, typically record at 7-10 ms, and mix at my highest setting.
                          doug osborne | my day job

Comment

• Hello everybody, first post here

First off, mad props to the Cakewalk team - this is indeed a seriously impressive update. I've never used Sonar before, but this may well be the time to switch.

As a Sonar noob I'd like a quick feature check: does 5 PE have latency compensation on busses? Beat Detective-like features? A adjustable delay-compensated I/O plugin to use outboard processing in the FX chains? How are the advanced audio editing capabilities compared to SX/Nuendo 3 and Samplitude? How many Video tracks?

Thanks,
                            AF

Comment

• <<As a Sonar noob I'd like a quick feature check: does 5 PE have latency compensation on busses?>>

Yes, all tracks and buses.

<<Beat Detective-like features?>>

No. There's a Sonar-compatible program that does the same sort of thing, as I recall...I'm not a big fan of that type of process so I never really looked into it.

<< A adjustable delay-compensated I/O plugin to use outboard processing in the FX chains?>>

No, if you mean like how Cubase SX does. Of course you can use the same basic procedure to compensate for delay, but it's not at all "automated."

<<How are the advanced audio editing capabilities compared to SX/Nuendo 3 and Samplitude?>>

Haven't used Nuendo, but the pitch stretching technology is equivalent. Cubase/Nuendo don't have anything like V-Vocal pitch correction though, although Sam 8 does. Could you be a little more specific about what you mean by "adbancred" audio editing?

<<How many Video tracks?>>

One, with thumbnails and a video window. It's probably worth mentioning that I've thrown a lot of different video formats at Sonar, and it does't hiccup.

Comment

• <<Is it better to use WDM drivers or ASIO?>>

It depends on the drivers. If your sound card has better ASIO drivers, use ASIO. If the WDM drivers are better, use them instead. I use the Creamware SCOPE card, it seems the performance is pretty much the same with either one. So I think the performance has more to do with elements other than Sonar. However, some Sonarians insist that a superb WDM driver will outperform a superb ASIO driver somewhat....just passing along some other people's opinions!

Comment

Working...
                                X