Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There was just a lightning storm, and as I have a UPS, I did a nice orderly shutdown. But when I turned the computer on again, it POSTs, beeps, checks the floppy disk, but then Windows doesn't start - I get the "flashing cursor in upper left hand corner" and that's it.

Bummer. Well, I'll add to the review when the computer's working again. At least if it all goes to hell and I need to re-install Sonar, I'll be thanking them every second for having such a dead simple installation procedure.

Oh, and if anyone has any advice other than re-installing Windows...
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by DrummerCT
      I am wondering about Sonar user's thoughts about Cakewalk's approach to pricing for upgrades. ...

My thoughts are "buy only the upgrades you need." I have used Cakewalk since version 1 and usually update every other release. So far I have Cakewalk 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, Sonar 1, 2, 3 and now 5. I skipped 4 because the metranome was the only thing I really needed, and a collection of Acid loops works just as well. Actually, I bought Sonar 4 when they offered the free upgrade to Sonar 5. Hopefully it will arive soon. No word yet on shipping.

I also do this with other program such as Acid and SoundForge.

Robert
      My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Any comments on how the built in VSTi support of Sonar 5 affects the wrapper in Project5? While using the wrapper with Project5 will I see multiple instances of VSTi's within Sonar 5? Is there a plan to update Project5 with native VSTi support?

Robert
        My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
          Oh, and if anyone has any advice other than re-installing Windows...

'Recovery Console' is always worth a shot

http://tinyurl.com/4shf

It could just be your MBR that needs repaired.

Or just reload your last saved Image...
          Cheers
          Mick

Comment

<<Are you running Sonar 5 in 64-Bit or regular 32 Bit mode via the Bit-bridge? If 32, do you notice more CPU useage as before due to the doubled clock cycle processing requirement?>>

I'm running in 32-bit mode, but it does seem there's more of a hit on the CPU in this version. Could that be due to the 64-bit audio path? Or about the MIDI issue that was mentioned? Alex, any comments on this?

Craig, looks like CW is aware of the CPU metering in S5 and willl address the issue in a patch (see Noel's and Ron's posts in CW SONAR forum below). It's a little dissapointing to see the final product has this slight flaw. Not major but wish it was caught before it shipped.

At least we know it's not a real problem.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=603453&mpage=2&key=

Hello,

No need to panic :-) There was a change made to the actual CPU meter very close to when we shipped SONAR 5 that caused higher CPU readout on the meter. We have since then revised the logic used for the meter since it turned out that the change was causing higher readings than SONAR was actually consuming. The first point update to SONAR 5 will correct this. Thanks for your understanding.

Noel

Noel Borthwick
            Cakewalk

Hi folks,

Just to second what Noel said --we've investigated the CPU loading issue. Good news and bad news.

Good news is, SONAR 5 doesn't actually consume more CPU than 4. Bad news is, a late change in the SONAR 5 code introduced a bug in how the CPU meters were being computed.

In other words, the engine isn't less efficient -- the meters themselves are displaying the wrong value.

Thanks for the indepth reports!

tecknot

Comment

craig,

are you using a single or multiprocessor machine? i'm running a dual opteron with sonar 5 and if the "enable multiprocessor engine" is checked, sonar's cpu maxes out and grinds to a hault whenever i insert any softsynth. has this happened to you?

vincent
              http://www.vksf.net

Comment

<<Disabling PDC for any particular plug-in is easy>>

But I believe this relates only to VST plugs, right?

Yep, you're right!

<<Are you running Sonar 5 in 64-Bit or regular 32 Bit mode via the Bit-bridge? If 32, do you notice more CPU useage as before due to the doubled clock cycle processing requirement?>>

I'm running in 32-bit mode, but it does seem there's more of a hit on the CPU in this version. Could that be due to the 64-bit audio path? Or about the MIDI issue that was mentioned? Alex, any comments on this?

It's actually because of a last-minute code change that made the CPU meter reading inaccurate. We'll address this in the next possible maintenance release.
                Alex Westner
                Director of Product Management
                http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

Alex or anyone -- how does BitBridge work exactly? I have an AMD 64/3200 but am running 32 bit Windoze XP. If I get the x64 edition and install Sonar, how do I get my old plugs to work (and I have dozens of them: all Spectrasonics, most Native Instruments, Sample Tank, Sonik Synth, Wavearts, Arturia's stuff, etc). They're 32-bit apps. Do they work in Win XP x64 in some compatibility mode and then magically talk to Sonar via BitBridge?

Thanks,
                  Bill
                  Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

Originally posted by bdub
                    Alex or anyone -- how does BitBridge work exactly? I have an AMD 64/3200 but am running 32 bit Windoze XP. If I get the x64 edition and install Sonar, how do I get my old plugs to work (and I have dozens of them: all Spectrasonics, most Native Instruments, Sample Tank, Sonik Synth, Wavearts, Arturia's stuff, etc). They're 32-bit apps. Do they work in Win XP x64 in some compatibility mode and then magically talk to Sonar via BitBridge?

Thanks,
                    Bill

"Do they work in Win XP x64 in some compatibility mode and then magically talk to Sonar via BitBridge?"

Yes.
                    Alex Westner
                    Director of Product Management
                    http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by AW - Cakewalk

"Do they work in Win XP x64 in some compatibility mode and then magically talk to Sonar via BitBridge?"

Yes.

Thanks! So, people at Cakewalk are actually running true 64-bit systems (CPU and OS) with these plugins? That's promising.

I think there is a bit of mystery surrounding this whole 64-bit business. I have a Delta-66 soundcard so there are 64-bit drivers available for me. I'd lose the use of my Steinberg Unitor-8, but then again I have a few other MIDI interfaces that I could limp by with for now. My biggest concern was the ability to use existing software on the 64-bit OS.

Bill
                      Keyboards: Roland Fantom G6 (2); Korg Kronos 61; Muse Receptor VIP; Nord Electro 3; Privia PX-350Guitar Stuff: Route 101 Solimar; Line 6 POD X3 Live, Pocket POD (2)

Comment

But be careful you have the VST versions. BitBridge doesn't work with DX or DXi plugins, only VST.

-lee-

Comment

Originally posted by Laptoppop
                          But be careful you have the VST versions. BitBridge doesn't work with DX or DXi plugins, only VST.

-lee-

Thanks Lee...I remember reading that somewhere. I tend to use the VST versions of everything when possible anyway so that shouldn't matter (although I do have some DXi stuff that will be rendered useless -- well, it's all for the sake of progress!).

Comment

Oh No! Our fearless guide into the brave
                            new world of S5 has had a PC meltdown -
                            we must send bits and bytes of recovery voodoo to him and hope that he'll regain
                            web-ability soon ...

- ft
                            --
                            Freddie Tane
                            www.tanetunes.com

Comment

I must have been hiding under a rock for some time. The only REX that I ever heard about was on the Amiga 20 years ago. I think it had something to do with piping output from one application into the input of another. Am I warm Craig or ALL WET???

Another question... I'm also using UNITY by BITHEADZ . Will all of my sounds from that software work w S5? (It is amazing how a year away from recording has caused me to grasp for the right technical terms. I'm trying to remember the type of software interface that works with bitheadz. I know that Unity DS-1 should work as a plugin but there was also another interface with it)

Am I correct in stating that your review is for the MORE EXPENSIVE of 2 versions of S5 ??

One is a $99 upgrade for me and the other is almost $300 for the upgrade. OOPS but I'm already too late for the upgrade deal !

Dan
                              http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology

http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
                              Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

Okay, I’m back after a bout with hardware problems…ugh. As far as I can tell, a failing motherboard disk controller corrupted the boot drive and I had to reinstall Windows, which means I had to re-install Sonar. Hopefully the system will limp along until the replacement mobo arrives in a couple days.

Anyway, when you click on a track’s PRV button, you can not only see the MIDI data in the track (with the zoom, fit content, scale, and other options mentioned above), but can actually edit the notes. This isn’t a new concept; Steinberg included in-place editing in Cubase SX. But it is indeed convenient because, again, you can see the MIDI data in context with audio tracks and other MIDI data tracks…even more so, because you can see the soft synth audio in its track along with the MIDI data driving it.

There are three drop-down menus for a MIDI track in PRV mode. Click on the attachment to see the three drop-down menu locations; the show/hide data menu is currently visible. The PRV button is circled in yellow. One menu chooses the note value that will be written when you use the pencil tool, another the type of data (note, velocity, controller), and a third shows/hides various data so you don’t have to be overwhelmed if there’s a lot of data in a track.

Incidentally, the PRV view has its own toolbar. But note that the Scrub control still affects only audio tracks in the Clips pane; you need to use the piano roll if you want to scrub MIDI notes.
                                CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Working...
                                X