Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I DON'T WANT TO SHELL FOR UPDATE I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD--

Comment

Originally posted by hazanin
      Craig,
      Sonar 4 does not seem to support drag and drop MIDI files when using Spectrasonics Rtylus RMX...I have tried it and it doesn't work...has this changed in Sonar 5?
      thanks!
      p.s. your interactive reviews are extremely helpful!

I'm not Craig (nor do I play him on TV), but I have not had any trouble with MIDI drag and drop using RMX and Sonar 4 PE. I am assuming you are talking about dragging the midi loop file from the RMX windo into Sonar's track view.
      Jam Tracks 41 backing tracks arranged by scale type that can be used with interactive software or as an audio CD.
      Jam Tracks Exotica Learn and play 10 exotic scales.
      www.UnderTheGroove.com

Comment

<<but is apparently only at EITHER the track OR bus level that you can see "overs", not where tracks combine to produce the over at the bus level, right?>>

Glad I'm getting a chance to clarify this. You can see on both the track AND bus level. That's one thing that makes the feature so useful: If you see an over in the master bus, you can look through the tracks and see where the "big levels" are. This is really a cool feature that will save me a LOT of time during mixing, and make a better two-track file for eventual mastering.

<<Any chance you'll be covering the supposedly improved MIDI Step Entry ?>>

MIDI is indeed greatly improved in Sonar 5, and yes, you can bet I'll be covering it.

<<Sonar 4 does not seem to support drag and drop MIDI files when using Spectrasonics Rtylus RMX...I have tried it and it doesn't work...>>

Make sure you have the latest Stylus update.

Finally I'd like to welcome Alex Westner from Cakewalk, thanks very much for contributing to this thread and providing a liaison to the company!
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
          Finally I'd like to welcome Alex Westner from Cakewalk, thanks very much for contributing to this thread and providing a liaison to the company!

Thanks Craig! I'm looking forward to learning more about SONAR.

I love this review format, by the way - very fun...
          Alex Westner
          Director of Product Management
          http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

Originally posted by Magpel
            -I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I DON'T WANT TO SHELL FOR UPDATE I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD I AM NOT READING THIS THREAD--

Dood, someone's hacked your user ID and is posting using your monkier...

PS Go ahead and read the thread... at least Cakewalk's updates are regular in coming, and priced reasonably.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

The limitation that in the audio processing menu, you could only adjust gain in 3dB increments. Okay, I can understand why they did that, but can’t understand why they didn’t fix it for soooo long. Well, they’ve made up for lost time with a new gain dialog that lets you control the gain, phase, and stereo interleave. Click on the Attachment to see the new gain dialog menu. One of the coolest aspects is that it’s now possible to “weight” a stereo signal toward one side or the other. For example, suppose you have dual rhythm guitars. One can have its stereo field spread from left to center, and the other from center to right, while retaining the level relationship between channels…it’s just that the stereo field is narrower. Previously, if you weighted a stereo signal toward one channel solely by panning, the other channel would contribute less level to the overall signal.

You could only normalize to 100%. Gone! A new slider lets you normalize to any desired amount, in 1dB steps.

No way to remove DC offset. Now Remove DC Offset is part of the audio processing options. Furthermore, under the Options > Audio dialog, you can specify having DC offset removed while recording. Cool.

Only one clip at a time could have fades edited. Now it’s possible to apply a fade to multiple, selected clips (go Process > Fade Selected Clips). Finally - now you can apply the same fade characteristics to all clips during a fadeout in one fell swoop.

But there’s one annoying thing that hasn’t gone away: If you solo a muted track, the mute takes priority. I’m sure someone, somewhere at Cakewalk had a reason for doing this…but it doesn’t make sense to me. It seems to me that if you want to solo a track, you want to solo it regardless of its existing status, right?

The more I think about this, between the enhanced gain, normalize, and DC offset functions, it appears Cakewalk is statting to add mastering-type functions to Sonar, either by accident or design…hmm…

Next stop: All the new MIDI stuff. You won’t want to miss this!

P.S. to Alex Westner at Cakewalk: The audio opened up just fine today, you could see the waveforms perfectly.
              N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

PS Go ahead and read the thread... at least Cakewalk's updates are regular in coming, and priced reasonably.

Agreed. And so far S5 seems like a really, really strong update.

Comment

Variable stereo interleave. Yes, thank you. I used to always record my drum module or the output of my SB (running, in essence, as a Soundfont sample player) onto separate mono tracks so they could be panned in (for drums, stereo pianos and the like). But when I moved to my laptop and a soft SF sample player, I had to either use a variable interleave plug in (which had sound quality issues) or go to the trouble of bouncing the stereo track out to two mono tracks. Kinda irritating.

Looks like they fixed some stuff and added some pretty cool new stuff.

I just hope to hell they improved the Nudge tool. Geez, I'd be embarrassed to show it to my friends. (And I hope they took the nudge hotkey away -- it's just too damn dangerous. At least it was/is? on the numeric keypad where it can be turned off.)

And I hope they included a way to lock clips in place in the tracks... I always keep the drag and drop clip movement dialog on by default to alert me when a clumsy mouseclick accidentally moved a clip. In fact I was doing a little comping in S4 last night and it seemed like every other time I tried to grab the magic part of a clip edge to roll or fade it, I ended up dragging the clip by accident.

I guess this ain't the place to hope stuff's included -- but I did post my wish lists at CW's Sonar forum. Still, that place always seems so abandoned by everybody but ill-informed fellow users...

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton: but it doesn’t make sense to me. It seems to me that if you want to solo a track, you want to solo it regardless of its existing status, right?

Absolutely - this one drives me nuts, because I never get used to it

How about the 'Audio Effects' 'DXi Synth' lists - has anything been implemented so that these can be modified/personalised easily?

That one drives me even nuttier

I have to say, though, I've not been this excited about an update in a long time...

Keep the info coming
                    Cheers
                    Mick

Comment

I just discovered this place from the Sonar forums. All I can say is wow! Craig Anderton! I've been reading your awesome reviews scince the 80's. Thanks for being so generous in sharing your review of sonar 5 as it happens. Very informative and fun. It gives all of us who are eagerly waiting for it to arrive something to chew on.

Comment

<<How about the 'Audio Effects' 'DXi Synth' lists - has anything been implemented so that these can be modified/personalised easily?>>

Yes! Actually you've been able to do it since, if I recall correctly, Sonar 3.1. (Which you would have known if you'd been reading my Sonar Notes column in Sound on Sound magazine, hint hint .)

Go Tools > Plug-In manager. There are two panes. In the left pane, you'll find the plug-in categories (DX audio effects, VST audio effects, DX instruments, etc.). In the right pane, you'll see the names of all plug-ins in the selected category. Click on the Attachment to see the Plug-In Manager screen.

To give the plug-in a "friendly" name, just double-click on it in the right pane, and rename it in the field that appears. In the attached example, "VST Polysix" is being renamed to "VST Korg Polysix."

To prevent a plug-in from showing up in the list of plugs, just click on it in the right pane, then click on the Exclude button. You can always re-enable this if you change your mind.

And in case you were wondering, I did a little test: I called up a project, changed the name of a plug-in used in the project, closed the project, and then opened it again. The plug-in was still recognized and showed up in the track.

Comment

<< just hope to hell they improved the Nudge tool.>>

Nope, but the Nudge keys are on the numeric keypad, so at least you'll be happy about that!

<<And I hope they included a way to lock clips in place in the tracks... >>

Not that I've found...

Comment

I had hoped to get the MIDI info up tonight, but the additions are pretty extensive. There's in-track MIDI editing (like Cubase SX3), a refined piano roll view, much better step recording, and the MIDI FX finally get some graphic respect -- they look a whole lot cooler.

So that's a preview; we'll pick up where we left off tomorrow. I'm off to bed!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                              Interesting…when I loaded the Sonar project I’d been working on before dinner, it sounded fine – but the audio Clips had no visible audio waveform. Huh? If I zoomed in enough, a waveform would appear; but if I zoomed out past a certain point, the waveform would just disappear, and the clip looked as if it had no audio recorded in it (even though there was).

I have a theory about this.
                              The first time I've come across this problem was this afternoon whilst importing large amounts of audio into several projects. Some tracks had the same name in verious projects, for example, "click"
                              The tracks in seperate projects that share names would have no waveform occasionally, and i think it's because all the Sonar picture files (wave images) are stored in ONE folder.
                              maybe a fix for this would be to use per-project folders for the picture cache as well?

Comment

All sounds good so far.I'm just wondering though wether Sonars now time still stops when adjusting certain 3rd party plugins (mostly VST) during playback.Another thing concerning me was the ability to disable PDC individually for certain older plugs that couldn't deal with it,and I'm reasonably certain that Craig still has some older plugs allergic to PDC for that test.
                                "If Obama wins a second term I will leave the forum". - Visconti

Comment

Working...
                                X