Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<<This one comment was worth wading through the 6 pages for. I love it!>>

Well, it was worth doing the Pro Review just to be able to find a box that actually does that. Nice to know not everything is "emperor's new clothes."

<<I'd like to see more direct comparisons to similarly-priced units in the future. >>

That defeats the purpose of a Pro Review a bit, which zeroes in on one particular piece o' gear. You're asking for more of a shootout kinda thing, which is a little more daunting to pull off, what with having to deal with multiple pieces of gear. I don't mind throwing in some comparisons, but only if I already know the gear with which I'm comparing the unit.

<<You do a great job at quantifying what you're hearing with the various graphs. Having an A/B comparison such as the user posted with a Langevin or similar pre would have furthered these analyses.>>

The big problem there is the 102k limitation on attachments to posts. You can't really do great fidelity unless it's a very very short example. Hopefully I'll get some hard disk space on the server to which I can hot link examples in the very near future.

Thanks for the comments!
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Hey everybody, the ADL 600 is being shipped back to PreSonus tomorrow, so I won't have it to refer to if you have any further questions.

Great box, though. I was kinda hoping they'd forget they'd sent it here

Comment

I followed this and read everything I could about it. I don't have a huge budget and my mic pre's are currently limited to my Onyx 400F, Presonos Firepod, and my new Joe Meek TwinQ.

I now have one of these on order. I suggest folks look around for better deals. I saved several hundred dollars over the M.A.P. price. (After spending over $20k at that sweet place, they won't budge off of MAP... I ordered this and a new Neumann TLM49 form someone who would budge. With the money I saved, I can get some new software )

Regardless.. I appreciate the effort that went into this review.

My one dissapointment with the ADL600? No digital out. Any digital out would have been a real boon. I guess decent convertors would have upped the price though.

Steve
        Steven Stallings,
        Central Texas
        The Songs

Comment

<<My one dissapointment with the ADL600? No digital out. Any digital out would have been a real boon. I guess decent convertors would have upped the price though.>>

Well, the ADL 600 has a 100% analog signal path. There's no digital in it from which you could derive a digital out, so you're better off just choosing the A/D of your choice and going from there.

Comment

I'm running the outs into channels 5 and 6 in the Onyx 400F. That way they don't go thru the Onyx preamps too. Works great. This really is a nice preamp.

Craig, I know it's all analog. What I meant was the cost of adding a A/D convertor inside the box would have been cost prohibitive. I suspect most folks who have this pre already have premier convertors in house.

Still.... 2 thumbs up for this preamp!
            Steven Stallings,
            Central Texas
            The Songs

Comment

Great review! I have heard similar praise about the ADL600 from other users who are putting this thing high up on their echelon of go-to preamps, and it is now high up on my wish list.

Also, I thought I might add that I have dealt with Presonus in the past and – with reference to the thread “are people more mean spirited?” – if anyone ever wants evidence that good-spirited people are out there as well, just give Presonus a call. Without exception, the guys at PreSonus are consistently friendly and helpful and if there is ever a problem, they go out of their way to make sure that it is quickly and entirely fixed. FWIW, in my experience, they really treat their customers right.

-blips

Comment

Hi folks,

I just want to make you aware of an issue with the ADL600 which was described in a review (by Paul J. Stamler) published in the October issue of Recording magazine.

Here's a quote from the article detailing the problem:

"The other anomaly I measured was the input impedances. These are marked on the selector switch as 1500, 900, 300 and 150 ohms, but when I measured them, what I found was quite different (see Below). The range of impedances available from the ADL 600 is considerably less than stated, and an input impedance >1 k (as recommended by most makers of condenser microphones) is only available with the 20 dB pad switched in. (Of course, condenser mics are hotter, so using the pad would probably be a reasonable choice.)

Impedence:
                Listed-Measured-Measured(20dBPad)
                1500-----785-----1256
                900------526-----696
                300------453-----560
                150------177-----270

PreSonus confirmed my results; the discrepancy is due to a jumper resistor that was used in tests and was left on the first production run of these preamps, which can be easily removed if the user desires impedance settings that match the front panel specs. Concerned users should contact PreSonus about how to do this; my feeling is that the effect will be audible but small..."

I own an ADL600, so I contacted Presonus about this issue via an email to their technical support stff, and Presonus stood behind their product 100% and satisfactorily resolved this issue on my unit.

The difference to me between the before/after fix, was more dramatic than suggested in the review. I noticed that it REALLY opened up my Gefell 930 when recording an acoustic guitar; much larger and lusher image, to my ears anyways.

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

NOTE: I will also be posting this under it's own thread ("ADL600 input impedence issue") in the recording forum
                www.soundclick.com/mrmoon

Good deals with:
                cosmonautsix
                mazibee
                battery198

Comment

Greetings ... I use a Soundcraft Ghost 32 LE console and an Alesis HD24 as the basis of my home studio ... I was wondering if I would have any benefit from the ADL 600 during mixdown ... running the main outs of the soundcraft into the adl 600 or main inserts ... and then into my Alesis Masterlink ... I'm sure it would really come in handy for all kind of uses ... but that was my main plan for it ... between the console and masterlink during mixdown ... any thoughts ? thanks ... jahboo

Comment

I was wondering if I would have any benefit from the ADL 600 during mixdown

Absolutely. There are a lot of engineers running their final stereo mix through the LINE inputs of the ADL600 and hitting the tubes and transformers for a little extra 'love'.

We even have heard from some mastering guys that are using it in that way.

The ADL is not a 'low fi' sounding preamp. It has an extremely wide frequency response and headroom. So it lends itself to an overall mix in a really musical way without robbing the mix of any fidelity.
                    Rick Naqvi
                    www.presonus.com
                    800.750.0323 x0641

Comment

• I just noticed the new post (happened while I was in Frankfurt, I have an excuse!) and agree with Rick. As mentioned during the course of the review, the ADL 600 does "something" to the sound that makes it more defined and just, well, better-sounding. It's not exactly an inexpensive solution, but based on what I heard, there's a reason why it costs what it does.

Comment

• I'd just like to thank Craig for the great review. As of a couple of years ago it was hard to find decent reviews on gear such as this. I'd also like the thank Presonus for making such a nice product. Let's see some more items like this.
                        www.rmcaudiodirect.com

Comment

• Craig,

Consider using a proper ABX applet for blind listening - there are fewer hoops to jump through, and you can be sures of the test's integrity:

http://www.pcabx.com/

Hope that helps!
                          Yours,
                          Niall.

Comment

Working...
                          X