Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did a Google search and Front End Audio has a demo for $1699. I know for fact that other dealers who I also found on that same Google search sell news ones for less than that. Its worth the few seconds to do the search. $1999 is MAP price. I hope no-one pays that. Its essentially retail. Is the ADL600 worth $2000. It actually might be, but if some lemonhead wants to give me deal way below that. I'm gonna take them up on that.

Comment

Thanx for that demo price Circulogi, but please share thoses other sites with the killer sales price... can't seem to come across any and I've run outta keywords. Just curious. I too searched for months and couldn't find a better deal than Sweetwater's. Front end also has a sale price of $1799... not sure if it's 'B' stock or not.

FWIW, In this case I'd prefer a 'B' stock as they're sent back to the factory and "reconditioned". Initial batches of brand new ADL 600s had a trim pot problem and I wanted to be sure that had been taken care. See link below... be sure to check Chad Kelly's post... Kudos to Presonus for taking care of this in a classy manner btw.

http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=47813&highlight=adl+trim+pots

Torry

Comment

Thanks for the link. It's interesting reading, especially because it pretty much confirms everything I'm saying here. People like this box! As to the trimpot issue, mine hasn't had any problems, so I guess it survived the "UPS shake test."
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the power supply.

I opened up the box and took a bunch of pictures so you could see the build quality, and get a feel for the kind of components that are used. Here’s the high-voltage power supply, with its warning sticker so that curious people like me don’t have a shocking experience. The main filter caps are rated at 450V; the fuses are top-mounted for easy access – you don’t have to remove the upper power supply board to get at fuses. You can’t see it too easily, but there’s a slot in the metal “cage” protecting the power supply, and the wires pass through a thick grommet on their way to the rest of the circuit.
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of wires connecting the front panel to the main circuit board.

The ADL 600 has connectors everywhee – pots to circuit board, panel board to circuit board, etc. This means that almost all the solder connectors are wave-soldered to the boards, eliminating any possible problems with point-to-point wiring, and also allowing for more automated assembly. The only thing that makes me nervous seeing this many connectors is if you live someplace very humid or very polluted, as the contacts might corrode over time. I think it would probably be good practice to open up the box once a year, unplug the connectors, then plug them back in to wipe the contacts. Does anyone at PreSonus have comments about this?

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the input transformers.

The input transformers are relatively large and shielded.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a close-up of the knobs.

It’s too bad a photo can’t convey feel, because these are big, solid suckers. Note the setscrews so you can easily remove or replace them, should it be necessary to service the panel board to which the controls attach.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the meter board.

This looks pretty digital to me…I wonder what the “prog” pins are for? I assume the trimpots are for calibration purposes.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the output transformers.

The output transformers are slightly larger than the input transformers, and also shielded.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the tubes used in the ADL 600.

There are three tubes per channel. The two toward the right are Electro-Harmonix (Sovtek) 6922 types, while the tube toward the left is a Ruby 12AT7. There’s always something cool about a photo with tubes!

Comment

Click on the attachment to see a picture of the rear of the panel-mount XLR connectors.

Even the XLR connectors attach to the main board through connectors, presumably for both reliability and ease of replacement should you smash one by mistake.

Comment

Click on the attachment to see the rear of the ADL 600’s front panel pots.

The pots – well, detented switches, actually – are fairly small. Except for the HP Filter control, they all mount directly to a panel mount board, and wires connect from the panel board to the main circuit board.

Comment

The only thing that makes me nervous seeing this many connectors is if you live someplace very humid or very polluted, as the contacts might corrode over time. I think it would probably be good practice to open up the box once a year, unplug the connectors, then plug them back in to wipe the contacts. Does anyone at PreSonus have comments about this?

Hi Craig,

Actually we have used this type of connector on a few other products in the past and so far we haven't had any problems with corrosion due to humidity. (The fact that we are from Louisiana, the most humid place in the country, gives us a great way to beta test this theory)

However, the only trade off with this type of connector is that if the unit will be jarred around a lot (say in a live sound rack), there is a small possibility of the connector getting loose over time. In a recording studio, you should have no problems with loose connectors.

Cheers,
                            Rick Naqvi
                            www.presonus.com
                            800.750.0323 x0641

Comment

Hey Rick;

You are down in Louisiana?

I believe you did the recording at a wedding I attended a couple of years ago and I had a brief moment to chat with you

I have the CD pressed from that and the sound is very good

Comment

<<However, the only trade off with this type of connector is that if the unit will be jarred around a lot (say in a live sound rack), there is a small possibility of the connector getting loose over time.>>

I see your point, but that might be overly cautious. A lot of the connectors have a little retainer that snaps into a groove on the connector, and holds it in place.

As to beta testing for humidity issues in Louisiana -- yeah! If it's not a problem there, it wouldn't be a problem anywhere...!

Comment

Working...
                                X