Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before I sign off for today, I have to add one more thing. Just for grins I wanted to see if I could come up with one of those huge, syrupy analog string-type patches. Again, I used the Minimoog sawtooth sample and two elements, but this time applied the 9-voice “unison” mode for each element, panned them somewhat oppositely, and added some detuning. I also applied some global reverb to the output, and tied the filter cutoff to mod wheel (not envelope) so I could add some real-time expressiveness. Click on the attachment to download an MP3 sound file (128kbps, stereo) of a big, Rapturized string synth sound.

I know we’re getting a bit far afield from the review itself, but this was a cool sound so I figured I might as well post it . Tomorrow I’ll stop playing with Rapture long enough to review more aspects of it! Then again, I guess it says something that I can’t seem to stop wanting to make sounds with it…
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Are any of you actually authoring *.sfz files from scratch?

Correct me if I'm wrong here: at present there is no *.sfz editing interface-- all *.sfz's are coded simply in NOTEPAD?

Question 3: What fun could that possibly be?

(Note: please scratch that last question.)
      Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud

Friend me on FACEBOOK!

Comment

I would guess the second sweep was from the Minimoog V, at least I would hope that is the case. The first wave, although processed with a comparable filter, has a decidedly digital edge when the filter is wide open. The resonance of the second wave is slightly more prominant giving the filter a fuller yet darker sound. The differences are rather subtle.
        How far off am I?

Comment

I’m not going to tell you which one is first and which is second just yet, but I’m curious: Do you prefer one over the other? Anyone care to guess which is which? Do you hear a difference or not? Comments, please.

I think the first sound is a tiny bit thinner or edgier (very little difference though) compared to the second sound sample.

Very interested to see who gets it right!
          http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

Comment

Well, guess what: The first one is the Arturia Minimoog, and the second is Rapture.

You're both right -- the difference is subtle. If I could have put a longer example with sweeps using different types of material, it may have been easier to spot a difference between the two. Overall, because I did get to try them both out under varying conditions, I'd say at the low end of the sweep, the Minimoog is a little bit fatter but at the high end, Rapture is a little sweeter.

But even more importantly, the difference between the two is not significant if you make an effort to set up the Rapture filter to be as close as possible to the Arturia Minimoog. In terms of musical impact, of course there are elements of both synths that make more of a difference one way or the other. But overall, if you want a Good Bass Sound to put on a track, either one will do the job. They'll just do a slightly different job.

Comment

<<Are any of you actually authoring *.sfz files from scratch?

Correct me if I'm wrong here: at present there is no *.sfz editing interface-- all *.sfz's are coded simply in NOTEPAD?

Question 3: What fun could that possibly be?>>

It is indeed a text-oriented editing system. But it doesn't look too difficult, in fact I think I might make a .sfz file based around my Minimoog multisamples and see if I can make it happen.

Comment

Well, I made it happen -- my first SFZ file! I used five sawtooth samples from a minimoog and set them up in SFZ so that the middle three samples each covered an octave, while the lowest one stretched down as far as possible and the highest stretched up as far as possible.

Then I just replaced the sawtooth file references with triangle wave references, and voila, I had a multisampled Minimoog triangle multisample. Next I tried it with pulse waves...all seemed pretty easy, although I didn't try to do velocity switching or anything, I just mapped samples across the keyboard.

It must not be hard if I figured it out simply by reverse-engineering some SFZ files from Dimension Pro!

Hey if someone from Cakewalk is listening -- is there something that documents the entire SFZ spec somewhere?

Comment

here's a start: http://www.rgcaudio.com/sfzformat.htm

Comment

I'm interested in creating sfz files too. I have not invested the time to get my head around the concepts yet. It is the sort of thing that a scripting language could handle readily. So you may see people using Perl or Python. I would attempt it with Rebol.

Here are links to a couple of projects and resources.

This is a link to a free editor in development:
                    http://audio.clockbeat.com/sfZed.html

This is a page of links and examples of sfz format mappings

Comment

Great resources, very helpful. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                        Great resources, very helpful. Thanks!

Craig here's a link too a free .sfz beat slicing utility.
                        I'm just downloading it now.
                        Might do some funky things in Rapture.
                        If it does let us know.
                        I'm about too give it a whirl in Dimension .

Oh yeah link .....

Virtual Turntable

Enjoy.
                        Venn Diagram - Artist WebsiteMachinedrum, Monomachine, Analog Four, Octatrack, NordModular, Moog SubPhatty, Novation Nova, Korg MS20 Mini, Maschine, Tassman, Aalto, Absynth, Uhe's ACE & AudulusContact

Comment

I confess to being a little confusexd by the SFZ thing. I know rgc:audio's older stuff well, and I know that sfz and sfz+ are rene's neat little soundfont playback synths (sfz, the free one, actually gets bit of use here 'cause I love the free NS kit drums and have quite a few nice Sonic Implants SF libraires)

So...wonder why he would reuse those same letters for what sound like such an unrelated purpose...

Rapture abnd Dimension Pro both look fab to me. Just the thought of having Rene's latest engine--features aside--has me drooling. Pentagon 1 is still one of my first call softies and I still think it sounds terrific.

Comment

was the question answered: if you import sfx multisamples is the quality of playback the same as
                            Dimension Pro?

Comment

<<So...wonder why he would reuse those same letters for what sound like such an unrelated purpose...>>

Well, it makes sense to me, and there is a precedent: Propellerhead software invented the REX file format, and create REX players for playing those files.

Comment

<<was the question answered: if you import sfx multisamples is the quality of playback the same as
                                Dimension Pro?>>

No, it wasn't, and that's a good question. I have imported the same multisamples into both of them, and the sound quality is identical. However, obviously what you can do with the samples differs for the two instruments.

Comment

Working...
                                X