Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well no, i am not running out of ram or disk. ANyway it is so wierd that i have created a project with just proteus x le and pro 53, proteus and fm7, and when i play native instruments VSTi's everything is ok, but when i play proteus le it has noticeable latency.

Comment

Originally posted by wooden
      well no, i am not running out of ram or disk. ANyway it is so wierd that i have created a project with just proteus x le and pro 53, proteus and fm7, and when i play native instruments VSTi's everything is ok, but when i play proteus le it has noticeable latency.

I dont think you understood me. are you running the emulator X so that it loads its samples into RAM or streams them off of your hard disk?

If your streaming from hard disk, you can definitely get some latency issues. I usually run from RAM.

Comment

Yeah i missunderstood, but i was asking about proteus x le, and wondering if this would be a issue with emulator, because while it is just a little bit noticeable, it is noticeable and bothers me. Thanks, i learned something from yout answers though. So you can use disk streamming or ram streamming using the same samples? nice

Comment

I talked to the E-Mu folks at AES, and they said the legibility thing was due to being locked in to bit-mapped graphics, which is something they plan to change in the future.
          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
            I talked to the E-Mu folks at AES, and they said the legibility thing was due to being locked in to bit-mapped graphics, which is something they plan to change in the future.

That's what I thought... thanks for asking. I sent them a list of concerns and this one was featured prominently, since it causes me actual physical discomfort (muh seein' ain't too good now); however, it is probably fine for those with younger eyeballs.

They responded quickly with sensible responses, and promised to pass my thoughts and (brilliant) suggestions for improvement on to the appropriate people... good enough.

On the more positive side, I have since made a few more multisamples with the X2. A basic couple-of-samples-per-octave-type multisample can be created *very* quickly, thanks to the Split-at-silence/spread-by-pitch routines; I can just record a bunch of notes to a single wav file and split them automatically... *very* nice. Modulation routing is intuitive and extremely flexible. The filters work well... lotsa good stuff, as well as a few quirks to spice things up.

I'll let Craig take it from here, I reckon.

Comment

<<I'll let Craig take it from here, I reckon.>>

Hey, a Pro Review is all about interaction!! Feel free to weigh in as much as you'd like. You have some good observations.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
                <<I'll let Craig take it from here, I reckon.>>

Hey, a Pro Review is all about interaction!! Feel free to weigh in as much as you'd like. You have some good observations.

Thanks Craig, I will be working more with X2 over the weekend, so I'll try to have something for show-and-tell.

PS - there aren't many people to ask this question of: I am using pitchbend (with a guitar+breath controller) to do slurs and vibrato, etc, with solo orchestral instruments, among other things; it works great except that the samples don't 'stretch' with the pitchbend, and sound less than optimal as a result (particularly with > Major 2nd hammer on's) ... do you know of ANYthing -- software or hardware -- which compensates for this in realtime? I've piddled a bit with X2's 'Twist a Loop' but may not have the hang of it yet. Thanks again

Comment

Could someone post clips of the sound library?

pianos, organs, brasses, strings?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wooden
                    Could someone post clips of the sound library?

pianos, organs, brasses, strings?

Thanks.

Here's a sample of the excellent piano (definitely NOT played by me). Uploaded attachments are limited to 100k or so here so I posted it at the link below (there is also a little clip of a Proteus2k acoustic guitar on the same page which I did with MIDI guitar). On the piano, I used the first patch in the set (sorry forgot the name) and kept the velocities below the highest velocity layer of the sound (which is a bit unbalanced with the others I think); BTW, the piano is capable of sounding wildly different than the clip I posted. On the guitar, I only made a small adjustment to the decay, which was too short originally.

The strings are excellent-sounding; they don't have multiple articulations, but do have multiple sections with different sized groups so you can do divisi, etc. I doubt I will have time anytime soon to demonstrate them... perhaps someone else has a demo they can render.

The Proteus 2000 sounds are just like the Rompler's I believe (and there are a bunch of them... with lots of bass and organ and brass)... . The presets sound very good for their size (the samples are teeny tiny) and also when compared to other romplers of the era. On the negative side, I noticed a lot of variation in the velocity response across the patches, so some will probably require adjustment (big deal); Anyway, Buying the X2 for the "presets" is missing the point, in my opinion, since it seems to be geared more toward producing your own.

It's a very useful sound bundle, for me, particularly the piano and strings. I ain't complainin'.

* there are basically three packages in the sound bundle: a piano (with multiple variations), strings (also with variations plus sections are broken out), and the entire (I think) Proteus2000 soundset

...no more time to piddle, sadly

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=614318

Comment

• Where did everyone go???

If it was because of the little demo clips, I promise not to make any more. On the other hand, maybe E-mu would *pay* me to stop...

"Honey, I'm quitting my job..."

Comment

• My apologies. I've been in video edit mode after AES, there are 30 videos waiting to go live any day now. But I'm almost done and can get back to the X2 shortly. I even have screen shots of the sampling/editing process all ready to go...I just need a couple hours to prep them and write the text.

Then it's time to twist some loops...heh heh......

Hey, I said this was going to be a long one!

Comment

• Hi Craig,
                          Can you clarify a few basics for me regarding workflow?
                          1. I understand you can record right into it, is this only as a stand alone, or can it also do this when it's launched in a host (cubase/live/tracktion)
                          2. Once the sample is in there, how easy is it to quickly divide it into different regions, whether it's taking a fifteen minute clip, and dividing it into thirty slices, or a two second clip, dividing into ten slices. I know you're a fan of wavelab, curious if the interface is similar, easy to zoom in and out, left and right.
                          3. Once the samples have been tweaked (with x2's effects, filters, slices), how easy is it to export the sounds out of it? It would be nice to take the tweaked samples out of it, and load the wavs into my MPC.
                          4. Any chance of an EMu demo, or are there any stores in the NYC area which have the software on display so I can try before buy?

Thanks in advance for your help.
                          http://www.myspace.com/dahkter

Comment

• <<1. I understand you can record right into it, is this only as a stand alone, or can it also do this when it's launched in a host (cubase/live/tracktion)>>

Stand-alone only for recording or SynthSwipe. You can load or import in any mode.

<<2. Once the sample is in there, how easy is it to quickly divide it into different regions, whether it's taking a fifteen minute clip, and dividing it into thirty slices, or a two second clip, dividing into ten slices.>>

Not quite sure I get exactly what you're driving at, but in terms of SynthSwipe, everything ends up just where you want it in terms of splits etc. Or do you mean something like recording dialog and chopping it into phrases?

<<I know you're a fan of wavelab, curious if the interface is similar, easy to zoom in and out, left and right.>>

Yes and no. The biggest limitation is that you can't resize the window -- another victim of being tied to bit-mapped graphics. Within that constraint, though, the most important factor in getting around the UI is to learn the various shortcuts for zoom in, zoom out, etc. The really helpful ones are things like go to selection end, go to selection beginning, zoom to selection, go to loop end, go to loop start, and the like. These are accessible via toolbar buttons, but you really want to take the time to learn the keyboard equivalents.

However, there is an "open in external editor" button. Say you have a waveform open in X2. You can click on the button to open it in Wavelab or Sound Forge or whatever (and stretch it across two monitors, of course!!), and if you make changes in the editor (including changing loop points or whatever), then save the file, when you go back to the X2 the waveform will reflect these changes.

Comment

• <<3. Once the samples have been tweaked (with x2's effects, filters, slices), how easy is it to export the sounds out of it? It would be nice to take the tweaked samples out of it, and load the wavs into my MPC.>>

As far as I know, there's no easy way to do this. My assumption is that this is because you have the raw files and the processing, and there's no way to "render" or "apply" the effects to the raw waveform. There are no export options other than E-Mu centric ones.

The workaround for this would be to load the X2 as a plug-in within a host, and play a note to trigger the file. Bounce it to a track, then export the audio from the track.

Does anyone from E-Mu have a more elegant way to do this?

<<4. Any chance of an EMu demo, or are there any stores in the NYC area which have the software on display so I can try before buy?>>

Someone from E-Mu would need to answer this. I don't know of any downloadable demos.

Comment

• Thanks Craig,
                                Much apprecaited.
                                http://www.myspace.com/dahkter

Comment

Working...
                                X