Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The thing is I only want to sweep the cutoff and resonance with a midi controller but on Emulator X2 you can't do it with any of the programmable morphing filters.

I know this can be done as I can do it on my E-mu Ultra samplers with EOS 4.7 but they lack the morph filter designer. Plus I don't really like the lowpass filters you get as standard but the ones you can make yourself in morph filter designer are quite cool!
    Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in!

Comment

• Well, you are sweeping the actual frequency and resonance when you have filter frequency selected as a destination in the modulation matrix. It's just mislabeled and should read 'morph (%)' IMO.

How did it work on the EOS 4.7 then? Morphing ctrl + filter freq ctrl + resonance ctrl all going on at the same time seems very complicated to me, not only to handle for the sampler, but also to control live. That is of course if I understand correctly that that is what you want to do
      Also I'm curious as to how the X2 compares to the different hardware models, especially the filters.

Tidda

Patch request to E-mu:
      Can we have the values displayed in the destination boxes in the 'cords' section of the Voice Processing page change to the context of the filter type that is set in the filter section? (e.g. 'Filter Resonance becomes Body Size) In the pop-up selector as well of course. If you add all posibilities and grey out the ones that are not applicable, the number of modulation sources would look even bigger than it already is

Comment

• The 2 controls are totally seperate, there's nothing complicated about it. In the cords section when morph filters are being used or any filter for that matter, filter frequency controls the morph/cutoff frequency and filter resonance controls the resonance/q /gain etc.
        Taken from Emualtor X2 manual:-

Filter Frequency - Controls the frequency (or morph) of the filter.

Realtime Resonance - Realtime control of filter resonance (Q, gain, body size).

Filter Resonance - Filter resonance control which is set at note-on time only.

On the Ultra series you only had the option of selecting Filter Frequency or Filter Resonance as a destination in the cord section but when they released EOS 4.7 you were able to control the resonance in realtime if using a midi controller. Before 4.7 you were only able to modualte the resonance at note on values meaning that you will only hear a change in the resonance level when you play a new note.

All I want to do is connect 2 midi controllers, 1 to control filter frequency and the other to control filter resonance. The same as you typically find on a standard synth, its just that I want to do it on a lowpass filter created using morph designer.

EG:- midi a>filter frequency midi b>filter resonance

The same should be possible on Emulator X especially with the realtime resonance control.

As for the difference between the filters on the hardware vs software. I loaded a bass that I made on my E4Xt Ultra into the Emulator X2 and had them playing side by side. With the bass solo'd the Ultra sounded better but in the context of a mix the Emulator X sounded better. The hardware version sounded a bit flat in comparison, like there may have been some clipping going on. I have not had time to do a full comparison on all filters but from what I've heard they are very similar, and both do a great job.

Comment

• Taken from Emualtor X2 manual:-

Filter Frequency - Controls the frequency (or morph) of the filter.

Realtime Resonance - Realtime control of filter resonance (Q, gain, body size).

Filter Resonance - Filter resonance control which is set at note-on time only.

I did not find the exact quote in the manual, but for the morphing filters, Realtime Resonance doesn't control Q. I get my info from p.138 and p.139 on the right hand side. The little diamond notes give the translation between the real parameter and what you must select to control it.
          There's no 'Realtime Resonance' to be found on the right side of any of the equal signs, only Filt.Resonance.
          And in this context that's the (specific) destination value, not either realtime or initial resonance destinations.

I would like to extend my patch request to E-mu. Please grey out the realtime resonance in the cords section when the filter has no use for it. We should still be able to select it though, in case of a filter override.

Now to get to the real issue, why no realtime resonance control in the morph designer?

Maybe best illustrated with p.136 of the manual Explore the Morph designer, after setting up a first (LP) stage. and I quote:

10. Now play the keyboard and turn the Morph wheel. You have just created the classic synthesizer lowpass filter response, but in case the Q turns up automatically when you change the filter frequency. If you turn up the Q Wheel, you get even more Q. (the Q control adds to Lo and Hi Q settings.)

So why no realtime Q control? Because it adds to Lo and Hi Q settings. That is 12 settings. Not only that, the Morph wheel is at a certain point as well, so the real 6 Q settings have to be interpolated from the 12 that you want to change in realtime.

So my well educated guess is that it's too hard on the CPU and implementing it would destroy the reputation of the filters.
          Currently the Morph Designer counts as a 12th order filter (max). That is dividing polyphony by 3 already.

Tidda

Comment

• Well I know what I'm doing with the E-mu filters and cords section, I have been using them for nearly 10 years, even if I don't always explain myself very well.

Now if anyone from E-mu actually knows for a fact why you cannot control the filter resonance parameter cord destination otherwise known as gain/expression/q/peak on the morphing filters in realtime please respond.

Tbh I have nothing else to say on the matter unless someone can give a factual based answer.

PS:- For anyone thats interested here is a comparison between the 4 Pole High Pass Filter on the E4XT Ultra and Emulator X2, there is quite a big difference.

Download comparison here. http://www.sendspace.com/file/0x0uts

Comment

• Now if anyone from E-mu actually knows for a fact why you cannot control the filter resonance parameter cord destination otherwise known as gain/expression/q/peak on the morphing filters in realtime please respond.
              ***Sorry so late guys, tradeshow season
              The reason that we went with the conservative approach in regards real time rez in morphing filter types is for safety. As these exotic filters can be unstable we didn't want folks blowing up speakers or damaging hearing. We actually added per voice limiters for Morph Designer just in case.

No promises or dates, but we will look into this problem again to see if we can make it happen in a future update. Thanks for the feedback.

Best,
              ICHi
              E-MU Systems

Comment

• Has anyone been successful with importing any Giga libraries or files into Emu X 2?

Comment

• Has anyone been successful with importing any Giga libraries or files into Emu X 2?

I'm not sure what the deal is exactly, but I had trouble importing the giga files that came bundled with Giga. However, I had no trouble at all importing files converted from Roland s7x > giga with the Chickensys Translator (BTW Chickensys wrote the e-mu import routines... may or may not have anything to do with it).

I do not own any commercial Giga libraries (other than the bundled ones) to test with. If anyone can try this, there are at least two people who would be very interested in the results Perhaps someone from E-mu could comment on this as well.

Comment

• I talked to the E-Mu folks at AES, and they said the legibility thing was due to being locked in to bit-mapped graphics, which is something they plan to change in the future.

any word about this in the new version? i agree, way too small...the karoke function looks fun, but nothing to upgrade for...this a difficult choice: if you don't keep up with the versions now, will it be too expensive later?

Comment

• I'm not sure what the deal is exactly, but I had trouble importing the giga files that came bundled with Giga. However, I had no trouble at all importing files converted from Roland s7x > giga with the Chickensys Translator (BTW Chickensys wrote the e-mu import routines... may or may not have anything to do with it).

I do not own any commercial Giga libraries (other than the bundled ones) to test with. If anyone can try this, there are at least two people who would be very interested in the results Perhaps someone from E-mu could comment on this as well.

***The current translator only supports GS2 format, so make sure your not trying to convert GS3. The GS2 conversion was done jointly by ChickenSys and E-MU and is very good based on our testing. If folks find any problems please let us know specifically what title and what part of the conversion and we can look into improvements.

Best,
                      ICHi
                      E-MU Systems

Comment

• ***The current translator only supports GS2 format, so make sure your not trying to convert GS3. ...
                        Best,
                        ICHi
                        E-MU Systems

Thanks, they (the GS bundled sounds) were indeed GS3, and GS2 works fine. Is there a program that can convert GS3 to GS2 that you know of? I actually own GStudio but it wont run without a "GStudio Compatible" card (which you-know-what is not unfortunately), and it stopped working, anyway, after an upgrade hosed the licensing somehow ("this product is already registered" or somesuch... then aborts").

Comment

• [QUOTE=ross g;20530232]any word about this in the new version? i agree, way too small...the karoke function looks fun, but nothing to upgrade for...this a difficult choice: if you don't keep up with the versions now, will it be too expensive later?
                          ***Are you talking about X1.x to X2 or X2 to the new X2.1(also to be released as EX2 platinum)?

If the former there are massive changes that are definitely worth the money.
                          The highlights of X2
                          -Morph Filter Designer
                          -TwistaLoop
                          -SynthSwipe
                          -Transform Multiply

If it's the latter the changes are more subtle but nonetheless substantial
                          The highlights of X2.1
                          -Xplode (beat slicer with MIDI and tempo map export)
                          -Xtractor (dsp tool that allows you to isolate, edit or remove things in a mix)
                          -X64/Vista support
                          -Native 64-bit version of standalone and VSTi
                          -Multi-Core, Multi-Thread optimized (substantial peformance gains)
                          -Library has been optimized (substantial speed increase)
                          -Streaming engine optimizations

We can't say specifically how we will price future upgrades but we will always try to make it as affordable as possible. If what we've done up to now is any indicator, incremental upgrades have been free, major new features have been 79 bucks. We think this is pretty reasonable.

Best,
                          ICHi
                          E-MU Systems

Comment

• any word about this in the new version? i agree, way too small...the karoke function looks fun, but nothing to upgrade for...this a difficult choice: if you don't keep up with the versions now, will it be too expensive later?
                            ***Are you talking about X1.x to X2 or X2 to the new X2.1(also to be released as EX2 platinum)?

If the former there are massive changes that are definitely worth the money.
                            The highlights of X2
                            -Morph Filter Designer
                            -TwistaLoop
                            -SynthSwipe
                            -Transform Multiply

If it's the latter the changes are more subtle but nonetheless substantial
                            The highlights of X2.1
                            -Xplode (beat slicer with MIDI and tempo map export)
                            -Xtractor (dsp tool that allows you to isolate, edit or remove things in a mix)
                            -X64/Vista support
                            -Native 64-bit version of standalone and VSTi
                            -Multi-Core, Multi-Thread optimized (substantial peformance gains)
                            -Library has been optimized (substantial speed increase)
                            -Streaming engine optimizations

We can't say specifically how we will price future upgrades but we will always try to make it as affordable as possible. If what we've done up to now is any indicator, incremental upgrades have been free, major new features have been 79 bucks. We think this is pretty reasonable.

Best,
                            ICHi
                            E-MU Systems

sorry, i have X2 atm...not planning on upgrading my computer for now...

i'm most interested in resizing the screens etc:

(Originally Posted by Anderton
                            "I talked to the E-Mu folks at AES, and they said the legibility thing was due to being locked in to bit-mapped graphics, which is something they plan to change in the future")

the new functions look fun, but i'm pretty happy with X2 atm (besides what's been mentioned)

rg

Comment

• If the multi-core support reduces the CPU load when running as a vsti, the price with be worth it to me. The extra sound sets will be the icing.

Can I assume that the 32bit version will still install on x64 and run as a vsti in 32 bit hosts, as it does currently? Also, will I be able to install both the 32 and 64 bit versions on x64?

I may switch to 64 bit Sonar once the update is released, but I may not if too many plugin conflicts exist. Bit-bridge performance in 64 bit Sonar has been a little touch and go with some plugins.

Sounds like a great upgrade though!!! When???

Comment

• [QUOTE=ross g;20545096][QUOTE=ICHi;20537175]

sorry, i have X2 atm...not planning on upgrading my computer for now...

i'm most interested in resizing the screens etc:
                                ***Unfortunately dynamic resizing will be difficult as long as we try to make both Standalone and VSTi as VSTi does not allow for dynamic resizing. It's still quite risky to assume that all users are using resolutions above 1024X768 so one way or another we are going to have to decide to leave people behind.

What screen rez are you currently using? Also what in the UI do you find small and that needs the most attention? There are several ways to solve the problem but we need to think about all users.

Best,
                                ICHi
                                E-MU Systems

Comment

Working...
                                X