Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <<when i switch the control panel to 44.1k a nice high frequency hiss comes out of my monitors, which are hooked into the "a" set, and nowhere else. when i switch it to 48k it goes away.... does it have anything to do with me installing improperly??>>

With any interface I've used, changing sample rates while the host is running is asking for trouble. Close the host, change the sample rate, re-open the host and all should be well.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• thanks for the reply. There are no apps running while the hiss is going. Curiously, the hiss occurs when i switch it to 44.1 or 88.2. Not on 48k or 96k. I am only in the utility when trying this. This is Sattelite specific too, i have been working with the Motu 896 and Firewire 410 on this same exact setup with no problems of this sort. oh, and the volume still wont turn all the way down... I guess i am off to the store to exchange for a new one.

Comment

• FWIW, I had the exact same Intel motherboard as you previously and had nothing but problems with the on-board Firewire controller. I was testing a Yamaha mLAN audio device and the drivers would not install under circumstance with the firewire controller. As soon as I added a 3rd party VIA FW Card the drivers would install, but the audio interface wouldn't initialize. I moved the mLAN device and FW card over to a different motherboard (Nvidia Chipset) and everything worked great. Normally Intel boards are rock-solid and this board was with every PCI and USB audio interface that I used. I wouldn't be surprised if there is something funky with this board in regards to FW support.

Originally posted by the jynx
        when i switch the control panel to 44.1k a nice high frequency hiss comes out of my monitors, which are hooked into the "a" set, and nowhere else. when i switch it to 48k it goes away.... does it have anything to do with me installing improperly?? can i reverse this? I hope it is just a driver problem... it doesnt seem to be going in or out of logic so its not really effecting the signal path, but it is very annoying.

again

Windows XP Pro SP2

Intel D865PERL, 3 GHz prescott, 768mb ram

if there is anything you want me to try i am more than welcome to be a guiney pig.

thanks
        jynx

Comment

• well, its either the mackie harware or the mackie drivers....I tried a fresh install on my second pc, same thing. its gotta go.....

Comment

• nice support here in the us....I have tried three diff days and sat on hold for 45 min each time eventually hanging up......garbage

Comment

• In Craig's official published review of the Satellite (EQ January 2007) he mentioned that "by the time you read this" Mackie would have a firmware update which would allow mixing the input source and DAW playback with the switch in the DAW position. This sounds like a good idea, in fact something I may have mentioned in this Pro Rreview thread.

Well, I read it. Where's the update? Also mentioned was a high performance driver with latency that could be set to 64 samplees or fewer (just like the CEntrance driver . . . hmmmm).

Tap tap, tap . . . . .
              --
              "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
              Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

• I just discovered something curious today when trying to re-create the whine when docked and using phantom power. I know I heard it back when I was playing with the Satellite and looking for trouble, but I couldn't get it to make the noise again.

Anyway, I was recording with the mic inputs terminated with 150 ohm resistors inside XLRs, and was watching the meters indicate around -85 dBFS, which jumped up a couple of dB when I engaged phantom power, but I couldn't pull a pitch out of it, just a bit more random noise.

Anyway, I coughed (cold season, you know) and I saw the meters jump up to around -60 dBFS. Tried it again and they did it again. So I started yelling at the Satellite, and sure enough, when playing back the recording (with about 60 dB of gain added) I could hear the coughs and a really crappy recording of my voice.

The talkback volume control was all the way down, but I suspect that even without the button pressed, it's not as "off" as it should be. D%&*@! digital controls!
                --
                "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
                Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

• The whine is gone!

I downloaded the "CHUD" utility from Apple and unchecked "processor nap" like Craig suggested, and bam, no more whine. In fact, I can "toggle" the whine on and off with that checkbox. I think I'll choose....no whine.

Craig, you are officially my hero. I will be sending a copy of this file to the tech support folks, and having them post this solution on our forum, as well as using it to help out anyone who calls up.

Now then, since some of you guys must have grown up along with me in the eighties and it's great B movies, who can be the first to tell us what C.H.U.D. really stands for?

C.H.U.D. = Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller

I saw that movie at the local video rental store 1,000 times when I was a kid and will never forget it. Maybe I should rent the movie now, eh?

Regards,

-Alex

P.S. I love my Mackie Satellite and have had no problems with it on my DAW (Dell Inspiron 9400/Intel Core Duo 1830/2 GB RAM/80 GB 7200 RPM HD/Tracktion 2.1/ Mackie Satellite/HR824s) while using plenty of VSTs and recording vox/guitars/synths.

Comment

• Can I 'daisy chain' the Onyx Satellite with my FW HD (assuming I'm using external power supplies).

I am running a G4 Powerbook 1.33 GHZ and Logic and looking to upgrade my Audio interface.

The Onyx Satellite is now being offered in the UK at an amazing price! £169 so if this can work daisy chained I'm up for buying.

Thanks all.

Comment

• im going to lay this out as simple as i can. so i just drew a picture....hehe. ya see i have only tought my self what i know today. so i know very few correct wording for everything with this product, and music world in all really. but hey i have made it this far (playing by ear is what i call it) on my own. but now i am in a jam. i dont know if i have my set up right or what, but i can lay down my problems like this.

1. when we record we need to hear are vocals with the beat. why is my playback for the music, and the inputs divided with the SOURCE button?

2. why dose the manual for it, in the home recording set up show a mic pluged in #1 mic plugin, and a different mic pluged in #2 mic plugin, when #1 and #2 are not stereo? one is right and one is left.....why???

3. dose my set up look ok??? if not what do i need or need to learn???

this is a basic drawling of how it is set up.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

well i hope someone can school me,
                      much love,
                      KING David

Comment

• if u cant see the pic just go hear
                        http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog&pop=1&indicate=1

Comment

• Don't know if this has been noted in the thread before but the Satellite's price has been dropped to $200 at Sam Ash and other places for those interested.
                          "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt about in your philosophy, Horatio."

"Live Long and Prosper."

Comment

• I just saw the price drop as well. Sweetwater is also giving away a free bag with the Satellite as well: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Satellite/ . This is a killer price!

Comment

• BTW, I've had a lot more time over the past few months to put the Onyx to the test and it's been a pleasure to use. The mic preamps are oustanding for such an inexpensive interface! I'm getting acceptable performance when I set my latency to 3ms on large projects. Hopefully when Mackie releases a new driver I might be able to get this down to 1.5ms while keeping the CPU usage down. Otherwise, it's not a show stopper for me. And Vista support would be nice as well (including a 64-bit driver).

Comment

• I've noticed a very low level, sporadic, pinging noise from the outs of my satellite when I attach the firewire cable to the card on my laptop PC. (It sounds almost, but not quite, like the sounds a fax machine makes.) I first noticed it when I turned up the gain on a track I had recorded.

I carefully checked over every connection in my equipment, and its definitely coming from the connection between my firewire SIIG expresscard and the satellite. I've even tried it on another PC, and discovered the same problem. Its very annoying.

I talked with Kurt at Mackie for nearly an hour about the problem. He offered a number of good suggestions, and was extremely knowlegable, but he was still unable to offer any remedy. He speculated that it might be due to a grounding issue in either the computer, or the SIIG expresscard. He finally suggested that I try out the satellite on a Mac to see if the problem persists.

I'm still trying catch up with a friend of mine that has a Mac laptop. So I haven't had the chance to do that yet. In the meantime, I thought I would leave this post in case anyone else may have had a similar issue with the satellite, and could offer any suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                                X