Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MikeRivers
    However, the button says "48V." It seems that too may people think that "48V" is shorthand for "phantom power" perhaps along the same line as they think that "phase" is short for "polarity."

I looked at the specs in the manual and, by golly, it says

Phantom Power +48V +/- 20%

You (just barely) meet your own specification, ignoring the fractions, with 38V being 48V -20%.

I may be wrong about this, but I don't recall seeing "ignoring the fractions" when I read through this the other day.

If you've recently added this, I tip my hat to you, even though I preferrred it the other way. I've come to realize that this format has its own reality, sort of like the island on LOST, where "20%" is, well, a little more than 20%, and 48 = 37.5, 38, or 1,405.

A rose is a rose is a rose, +- 20%, and ignoring the fractions.

forget about legal statute that protects consumers against mislabeling, I can't imagine for the life of me someone like, I don't know, Rick Chin signing off on this one. But I appreciate your candor. Seriously!

-peaceloveandbrittanylips

Comment

Originally posted by Brittanylips

A rose is a rose is a rose, +- 20%, and ignoring the fractions.

forget about legal statute that protects consumers against mislabeling, I can't imagine for the life of me someone like, I don't know, Rick Chin signing off on this one. But I appreciate your candor. Seriously!
      Well, Woody takes claim for the Satellite project, so I guess it was he who "signed off" on it.

There are plenty of products on the market that provide other than 48V for phantom powering, in fact if you count number of units in use rather than number of different makes and models, my guess is that today 48V is NOT the most common voltage. As far as legal issues go, however, I don't think you'd get very far with a class action suit that the button is labeled 48V and the voltage isn't.

A word on numbers (in science anyway): If you write a number without a decimal, and then talk about a percentage of it, you lose the right to talk about a fractional part of the percentage. You round up or down according to your preferrred rule. So 20% of 48V is correctly expressed without fractions, as 10V (9.6V rounded up to the nearest whole number).

If the specificatoin read 48.0V, then you'd gain the right to use one decimal in expressing a percentage so 20% would correctly be 9.6V.

Same goes with numerical tolerances. 48V +/-2V (which is how the current IEC standard reads) is correct, but 48V +/- 9.6V is incorrect.

I did try the Satellite with my Neumann KM84 and I got sound out of it, however I was just talking into it at a normal level. Since the KM84 uses the phantom supply voltage to polarize the capsule directly (there's no DC-DC converter in there to boost it up to a more typical 60V) I would expect that at high SPL, the mic would crap out sooner with 38V powering than at 48V.
      --
      "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006
      Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton
        I decided it was time to get away from the dock and the Mac, and take the Satellite to a new orbit: My Rain Recording laptop. So I pulled out the Satellite part, gathered up the AC adapter (the laptop has a 4-pin FireWire) and driver CD, and proceeded with Windows installation.

Now, a little background: My main laptop interface is the E-Mu 1616m, which is a nifty little guy. But when I'm doing gigs, I bring my PreSonus FireBox due to its small size and because it does all I really need it to do; the 1616m is more like having a portable recording studio.

But in writing this, I had an epiphany: I'm loathe to unplug the FireBox every time I want to use it, which kind of reinforced that the concept of being able to take the satellite away from the dock does indeed make sense if you're not lucky enough to own multiple interfaces.

How do you like the satellite compared to the firebox? Im considering selling my Firebox for the Satellite.

Comment

<<How do you like the satellite compared to the firebox? Im considering selling my Firebox for the Satellite.>>

It's a bit of apples and oranges. The Firebox has MIDI, albeit with a breakout cable, which is essential for my live act. The Satellite is audio-only. So if you need MIDI, there's your answer.

If you're talking audio-only, the Satellite of course has the unique desktop/portable configuration, which the Firebox doesn't. I'd also say the Satellite has more "transparent" mic pres. Either one copes with guitar level inputs, so it's a wash there. I've been assured the Firebox really does put out +48V if that matters.

The Firebox is smaller, but runs hotter. I'm currently sitting in a hotel room and don't have either one directly in front of me, so I may be missing a few things, but that's it in a nutshell.

Bottom line: If you need the docking feature and a slight mic pre sound upgrade, the Satellite would be a better choice. If you need MIDI, +48V, and are willing to connect/disconnect cables, then you might as well stick with the Firebox.
          CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

So the difference in audio quality is negligible?

I'm trying to decide between getting a Satellite and a midi-usb cable, and getting a Firebox.

The thing with the low phantom in the Satellite is a bit troubling...

I thought the audio quality differences in favor of the Satellite is substancial, but if not I guess I'm better off with the Firebox.

What do you think?

Comment

<<So the difference in audio quality is negligible?>>

That depends on how you define negligible...I do feel the Satellite mic pres are better, as they sound more "defined." Are they orders of magnitude better? No.

To my ears, the line ins and instrument ins are equivalent.

Again, let me emphasize that the Mackie's "hooks" are the mic pres and the ability to separate the dock for mobile recording. The issue is whether those are important to you or not.

Comment

Hi,
                With your experience now of the Mackie, which seems favourable if you are considering buying one, how would you compare it to a MOTU Ultralite?
                I am buying a new audio interface for my Mac and had heard in various forums SOS etc that MOTU's reputation for stability in Mac use was good. Feature-wise either woudl suit my needs well.
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by barjeelik
                  I am buying a new audio interface for my Mac and had heard in various forums SOS etc that MOTU's reputation for stability in Mac use was good. Feature-wise either woudl suit my needs well.
                  If you trust what you read, go for the stability (which I translate to "it works for most users"). But if you want stability, my advice is to wait for something to be on the market for at least six months, Then you'll have a better picture of its performance, and if there are things that the manufacturer can fix in software, they might have been fixed.
                  --
                  "Today's production equipment is IT-based and cannot be operated without a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be operated without a passing knowledge of audio." - John Watkinson, Resolution Magazine, October 2006

Comment

Probably true as all manufacturers products appear to go through a stage where they have teething troubles.
                    I had also looked at the established MOTU Traveler and 828MK II but finances mean that these are beyond consideration unless I purchase from the States via ebay. I am somewhat loathe to risk this and know of friends who came unstuck buying guitars this way and had to pay import duty, which on top of postage meant they effectively stood still price-wise.

Comment

Is there a way to input another preamp? I know the onyx pre's are good but I like variety. Also, about the a/d d/a, are they the same as the F series? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Neverthere
                        Is there a way to input another preamp?
                        It has line inputs, or if you're a real purist, halfway, you can use the unbalanced Insert Return.
                        --

Comment

Well, my Onyx Satellite arrived today - or at least I think it arrived today. The delivery person left it around back, inside the side gate. If I hadn't been wandering around back there while on a phone call (cementing an album production deal with a band ), I might not have noticed it for a few days.

I'll be unboxing it and installing it sometime tomorrow, and will start with my comments and thoughts soon thereafter.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Great Phil, additional comments will be most welcome!

Comment

Update: I tried the Onyx Satellite (pod only) with the Rain Recording Event computer, which uses Intel Core Duo. No problem at all running at 128 samples (!), and no whine, no weirdness. Just for kicks I loaded Guitar Rig into the Event, and used it in standalone mode. There's no question in my mind that 128 samples of latency is simply not an issue for playing amp sims. It felt like real time.

Hey, isn't that a Foreigner song? "Feels like the real time..."

Comment

Hi Craig - I have a quick update regarding the buffer settings... we are actaully in testing with a new high performance driver for Satellite that allows ultra low buffer settings including 64 samples and possibly even lower. Depending on how the extensive testing goes, we aim to have the new driver available for release in the coming weeks.

P.S. It was great to meet you at AES - I hope you had fun for the rest of the show.

Woody.
                                Woody

Comment

Working...
                                X