Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<<Just an observation - I was a total noob once upon a time and got hooked on Acid as my first audio DAW. In comparison Acid is so much simpler to bring in drums, bass and just record your own track on top of that. It is just a matter of hitting the record button.

Riffworks in comparison is much complex for a starter as far as I am concerned. Actually even after being an audio pro it took me a while to make ends and tails of it, actually because of the oversimplification and totaly unorthodox design. What I mean by this is that there's no other app like it on the market, which is either a good or a bad thing, depends which way you look. >>

Very perceptive comments IMHO. When I started working with Riffworks, I found it a bit confusing at first until I "unlearned" the DAW way of doing things. Once I saw it as a drum machine-style program and not a linear sequencer, it was smooth sailing.

I know what you mean about Acid; few programs can beat Acid 1.0 for being drop-dead simple to use. However, as soon as you get into hard disk mode, you're back to a more linear work method.

The thing about Riffworks is the way it parses music into riffs, like drum machine patterns. It makes it so easy to create little segments and stitch them together -- much like Acid, in a way, except with guitar audio instead of packaged loops.

Also, the inclusion of the effects is a huge deal. They're really excellent and make it easy to get good guitar sounds right out of the box. I think that's a real attraction to guitarists.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

ihsoy,

1. There is no way to copy a layer to another riff. You can duplicate a riff and add to it, but copying layers opens up another can of worms like what if the riffs are different lengths, what if they're at different tempos. I expect we'll do something cool that will make all this work, but for now we like to say you played it once, just play it again You like play the guitar right?

2. I think add-on drummers are great, but I'm biased

RiffWorks IS limiting in some ways. The whole premise of RiffWorks is that having an all powerful DAW doesn't necessarily make for inspired music. Sometimes you have to have some limitations in order to make room for the creativity.

cheers,
      dug

Comment

<<Sometimes you have to have some limitations in order to make room for the creativity.>>

I don't really see Riffworks so much as limited, as optimized to perform a specific function. For capturing ideas, it's really not very limited...it's only when compared to a DAW that you see the limitations, but I never saw Riffworks as competition to a DAW.

It's like Ableton Live: Some users complain that it doesn't do certain DAW functions. That mystifies me; Ableton Live is a whole other type of software. If you want a DAW, get Pro Tools or Sonar or whatever
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by dug
          but for now we like to say you played it once, just play it again You like play the guitar right?

RiffWorks IS limiting in some ways. The whole premise of RiffWorks is that having an all powerful DAW doesn't necessarily make for inspired music. Sometimes you have to have some limitations in order to make room for the creativity.

cheers,
          dug

I love playing of course, but I seem to have those one-off "wow, that was cool..what did i just do?" moments.

That's what I love about RW so far..that it does inspire me to play!

Thanks!
          mike

Comment

Another observation about guitar effects - most of the controls on the effects are rotary which is hell to operate with a mouse. I know RW is going for the vintate look but try to do it with the right hand while holding a guitar and you'd see what I mean - it is pure hell!
            ========================

http://www.descentintomadness.com

Comment

Originally posted by jjbraunius
              Another observation about guitar effects - most of the controls on the effects are rotary which is hell to operate with a mouse. I know RW is going for the vintate look but try to do it with the right hand while holding a guitar and you'd see what I mean - it is pure hell!

Funny you should mention that........I find that annoying as well. Especially while mixing.......but even Gear Box has that issue when trying to dial in sounds and effects. Would be nice if there were keyboard cuts to dial up and down say when the mouse is over a specific knob......

Back to the perception of the software complexity for a second......it sounds as if we have two "schools" or methods of assessing that. Most of the guys that have previous experience with recording software find RW difficult to pick up on initially due to the fact they are pre-programmed to having the package set up differently. By comparison us complete NOOBS that have little to no experience using any recording software are right at home as I/we do not have to un-learn (if that is a word) or relearn how to do basic things. Does that sound like a fair method of breaking it down?

I personally think RW is almost idiot proof....maybe you other guys are just too over qualified? Joking of course.....LOL

Granted there are other more complete packages out there, but not this price point. It was designed as a spring board of sorts.....to introduce less technically inclined folks to the world of recording. Which I think it does beautifully. I would never use the word limited in my description of this software at all.
              Not everyone believes what I believe, my beliefs do not require them to.
              ShredRex Music
              My Riffworld Page
              My YouTube Channel

Comment

Shred - obviously you haven't tried N-Track and Mackie Tracktion that are in the same ballpark (or less) in price.

========================

Comment

<<Another observation about guitar effects - most of the controls on the effects are rotary which is hell to operate with a mouse.>>

Unless I've misunderstood your question, that's not true. If you click on a control and move the mouse up and down (like a slider), the knob turns. I don't like the "imitation knob" motion where you have to move the mouse in a circular path.

However, the controls don't work with the mouse scroll wheel if that's what you mean.

Comment

Craig, usually when having circular controls going up and down is hard to get you to zero in with better precision. If they were up and down sliders thing would've been much easier, and a double click on them where you can write in the value could also help tremendously. The downside is that the cool vintage visual effect is lost for efficiency.
                    ========================

Comment

<<If they were up and down sliders thing would've been much easier, and a double click on them where you can write in the value could also help tremendously.>>

That's an excellent point: Most programs with parameter control give you a couple options, like clicking and dragging to change a numerical, or typing in a particular value.

I will say I don't find the knob control thing problematic, although I would if I had to move the mouse in a circular motion...mouses were born to move in a line, not in a circle!

Comment

Shred - obviously you haven't tried N-Track and Mackie Tracktion that are in the same ballpark (or less) in price.

No I have not, in fact I just read about N-Track this morning. There are a ridiculous number of programs available now a days.....hard to keep up on them all. Remember I am still a noob here.

As I mentioned back in my other post, I was looking at recording software for guitarists. Not so much along the lines of general recording programs. The main benefit behind the packages geared to guitarists was the bundling of hardware and amp modelling, with the recording software.

N-Track has definately peaked my interest though.....I would never drop Riffworks for it. But it is a very affordable alternative.

My biggest complaint with Riffworks is fact I cannot encode mp3 directly form the software.

ShredRex Music
                        My Riffworld Page
                        My YouTube Channel

Comment

Shred, do you like the sounds you're getting with computer modelling software? I for one cannot find anything that sounds convincing to replace a kranked amp sound. For $150 I got a Sansamp TRI-OD analog pedal/modeler and Hughes and Kettner TUbeman ($300) that sound light years ahead of anything computer generated I've tried, even on outboard modelers. I use PC plugins for the other effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, etc. but for distortion everything comes up short IMO. On clean tones I guess some of these are useful but I still don't like any of the distortion modelers out there.
                          ========================

Comment

Hi,

Yup, I think the RiffWorks and Live comparisons are dead-on. RiffWorks is coming at the use model based on those of us that play guitar.

Quick disclaimer - I work for the DrumCore guys - but I use the REX player for helping with drum tracks. Then I can just export my loops as Rex and slam '
                            em in there (ours and whomevers').

Now I just need to be able to use the backing tracks Live via my pedalboard ;^).

--kT

Comment

Shred, do you like the sounds you're getting with computer modelling software? I for one cannot find anything that sounds convincing to replace a kranked amp sound. For $150 I got a Sansamp TRI-OD analog pedal/modeler and Hughes and Kettner TUbeman ($300) that sound light years ahead of anything computer generated I've tried, even on outboard modelers. I use PC plugins for the other effects such as delay, reverb, chorus, etc. but for distortion everything comes up short IMO. On clean tones I guess some of these are useful but I still don't like any of the distortion modelers out there.

Funny you should mention that as well........LOL I found with the guitar port and gear box I was getting decent tones. But nothing that really did it for me.

Recently I have been running my Behringer GMX 212 into riffworks via the guitarport and adding no other colouring at all. All the effects are also coming form the amp. And for the first time I am getting MY sound into the recordings, what I hear when I sit and play through my amp. Without having to crank the amp and mike it. So for now the modelling software is not even installed on my computer.

I was trying several modellers, Gear Box, Amplitube, Guitar Rig........but the sound from my amp is better. Once I was able to get my bass tones and drum sounds in Reason all sorted out, I started to get the overall sound I was looking for.

I guess I stick with Riffworks because I know how to cut and paste my songs together in no time at all. It takes me longer to program the drums and bass than it does to do anything else. At least now I am not constantly tweaking to get a sound I like, and the songs sound more consistent.

Check out the couple of songs I have on myspace. The song called Last Chance was a modelled guitar sound. The song called Riding on E was the amp direct. Just give you an example of what I am talking about. Although Last Chance has a pretty decent sound, so it may not be the best comparison.

http://www.myspace.com/shredrex
                              ShredRex Music
                              My Riffworld Page
                              My YouTube Channel

Comment

<<Quick disclaimer - I work for the DrumCore guys>>

Not to hijack the thread, but I've just starting working with DrumCore in anticipation of doing a review. It's very clever...and the idea of using it as a "development system" for Riffworks backing tracks is pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                                X