Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This guitar seems like a thin-bodied amplified acoustic (think Chet Atkins) with an added humbucker. In other words, primarily acoustic, with added-on electric features. I can't believe that the test players all agreed it was best to limit it to just one magnetic pickup. Although the amplified acoustic sound is just gorgeous, the magnetic palate is way too limited for electric players. I hope they remedy this with future models.
    I love it when it's like this... and it's like this now!

Comment

tats_dragon wrote
      I predict Michael Kelly will come out with either a multi-pickup version or alter the positioning of the existing single humbucker. Sounded excellent but since not many guitars even have a middle humbucker it was hard for me to get used to. I would probably need a special setting on the amp [or your effects processor --Jon C.] just for this guitar.

BuckyB wrote
      I can't believe that the test players all agreed it was best to limit it to just one magnetic pickup. Although the amplified acoustic sound is just gorgeous, the magnetic palate is way too limited for electric players. I hope they remedy this with future models.

tats_dragon may be on to something. If the MKH now seems more like an acoustic-electric that can switch into distortion mode, perhaps a deluxe (multi-pickup) version would appeal more to an electric player looking to grab an acoustic sound. In a live situation, I see the single pickup version being appropriate for, say, a rhythm guitarist, or the singer-guitarist looking to add depth to a band's sound, but may not be repsonsible for principal guitar duties. In this way, not having that true "back-pickup bite" is not really a limitation. (And he'll stay out of the way of the lead guitarist! )

And when BuckyB calls for a remedy in the form of a multi-pickup model, you could see that as a call to expand the product line. I'm guessing it would be hard to put two quality humbuckers in a guitar -- and outfit it with the attendant electronics -- and keep the price under $500. But BuckyB's point is taken: conceptually, it's an adjustment for guitarists to get their heads around a guitar with a middle-position humbucker.

These are all points that make good sense on paper, and when you first view the guitar. But try messing with one, and you'll see that the playability, pickup balance, and value (quality-to-price ration) make this a very appealing addition to your sonic palette. Think singer-songwriter whose songs go from introspective to aggressive; think rhythm guitarist looking to fatten that chorus with a flick of the switch. Think power trio trying to blur the line between unplugged and wall-of-sound.

You get the idea.
      Jon Chappell
      Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
      Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Hey Everyone! Hope all is well with all and I have been really enjoying all the comments and posts! You guys are all really on top of this. All this feedback helps us do things better and get opinions that are invaluable to future development! So Thanks so much!

After reading through some posts I really wanted to make sure that everyone understood something very important about the overall Hybrid design.

There have been a couple people comment on the ‘Middle Humbucker” position. The Magnetic pickup is not a "Middle" humbucker. Looking at it at first will give anyone that perception, so I do see where that’s coming from. However, the humbucker model and placement was very crucial to the overall design of the Hybrid tonally. Not only when its in use by itself, but also blended with the acoustic pickup.

We tried many different humbucker positions with varying size and shaped tone chambers and cavity routes to find the appropriate placement.

With that being said, the actual position of the magnetic pickup is at the "rear" of an internal tone block. There is then a special designed tone chamber leading to the acoustic pickup cavity and string block. This placement actually has more tonal aspects of a bridge pickup than what you would think. Is it exact? Of course not. We did however try many combinations as stated above until the most important thing we felt was achieved.

That is that our test players did agree that this was the best design tonally for all settings on this guitar.

Personally, I have gotten as much bite out of the Hybrid magnetic pickup as any of my other guitars in their respective bridge positions.

To do this it did take some tweaking of my normal amp settings. However, I would have done the same tweaking with any new guitar to make it sound the way I want it to sound through my rig anyway.

So hopefully this helps explain in more detail how important the exact positioning of the Rockfield SWC magnetic pickup is to the overall Hybrid concept and design.

Thanks again!
        Rockfield

Comment

I appreciate the input from both Jon & Rockfield. My comment however was not about the position of the humbucker, but the lack of available electric sound choices. I now understand that this guitar was not really designed for the lead guitarist. For it's intended market (singer-songwriter, rhythm guitarist), I think it's probably perfect. Perhaps a better choice in this price range for the lead guitarist seeking to add acoustic sounds without switching guitars would be something like the Peavey Generation AMC series (at least for now). Pity, because I'm really quite impressed with the Kelly's amplified acoustic sound. I'll keep an anxious eye out for any future expansions to the MKH line, as well.
          I love it when it's like this... and it's like this now!

Comment

This looks like a very cool guitar and from the postive reviews so far, sounds like a real winner especially for the price. I really wasn't a fan of the T5 as it seemed like a thin acoustic with a weak electric pickup tossed in at the last minute. there wasn't a good balance between the electric and acoustic to me. It wasn't something I could go from subtle acoustic to screaming overdrive with.

This MK reminds me of Carvins AE185

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=AE185

Was more along the lines of a good balance between the two that could accomodate moderately heavy levels of gain without all the feedback that typically plagues semi hollow guitars and still have a good acoustic voice and the ablity to blend the two.

Unfortunately, the AE's start at $1000

So I'm eager to try this MK guitar out to see how balanced the two aspects really are. I can see how not having two dedicated pickups can appear to cripple the tonal versatility that a dual humbucker guitar has, I don't want to jump to any conclusions without testing it first because from what's been said thus far in the thread, it doesn't seem to be just a semi hollow guitar with a humbucker tossed in at the last minute. looks like it was engineered from the ground up to have both electric and acoustic jive together equally well.
            Guitars
            Tokai LS150 - Sheptone Bryan Kahaek Signature pickups - Mystic Dream MM JP6 - G&L Comanche

Amps - Cabs
            Splawn "MUFASA" Nitro - Mako MAK4 Preamp - Jet City 100H w/JJ KT66's, 22H & Pico Valve - Whitebox Engineering 2x12, PortCity OS212 - Splawn 4X12

Kemper Profiling Amp - u mad?

Visit my music page

Watch my amp demo videos on Youtube

Member of the Jet Setters

Comment

If I were to purchase a guitar like the Hybrid I probably wouldn't use a 'blend' of electric and acoustic as much as one or the other. An acoustic with distortion guitar blended seems pointless to me.
              As BuckyB has pointed out, the Hybrid seems to be geared more towards a rhythm guitarist. Doesn't appeal to someone needing a full palette of electric sounds. It's more of a novelty guitar for only a few songs.

Jun
              100% AxeFX ode to Michael Schenker www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/Jun/axefxremix.m4a
              Bravo mic'ed wet/dry/wet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXG-kJCCXk
              Axe-FX direct recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMmA9tYIF4
              Rivera TBR-1M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROvOH2NajL8
              Hafler T3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEyWzTz8zo

Comment

If the piezo pickup could be adapted to drive a hex output (like the roland GK system or LR Baggs ) as well as the stereo output jack then it'd be the perfect guitar...

You could use it to drive a MIDI converter, or their VG-8 technology. It could also be used to drive the Line 6 Variax system, removed from the body and rackmounted. (i've been trying to find out exactly how to do this, it has been done, but hav'nt been able to get very far with it...(link)).

Or you could just have each string output seperately using one of these. http://www.rmcpickup.com/fanoutbox.html

Thats gone a touch off topic and I apologise, but I do think that having hex output would make it perfect It'd also go some way to a solution about having only the one pickup.

Or maybe i'm just rambling, never mind.
                Good deals with: woolyh, kaz2550, fruvai, english_bob, daysofspeed, gambit, matchpoint (twice), SilenceSketches.

Comment

Hey everyone!
                  Tats_Dragon said,

"If I were to purchase a guitar like the Hybrid I probably wouldn't use a 'blend' of electric and acoustic as much as one or the other. An acoustic with distortion guitar blended seems pointless to me."

Your right! But thats why in steroe as metioned above you run the Y cable into 2 sound sources. ! acoustic Amp or PA and then your choice of electric amp for the magnetic pickup. That way, you dont have an acoustic with distortion. The acoustic is split so its clean and full! While the electric also split and separated is distorted or not. Its up to you... but in this mode you wouldnt have a distorted acoustic.
                  Todd Rockfield

Comment

T-rock,
                    There have been a couple people comment on the ‘Middle Humbucker” position. The Magnetic pickup is not a "Middle" humbucker. Looking at it at first will give anyone that perception, so I do see where that’s coming from.

It SOUNDED like a middle humbucker to me when I tried it at GC.

I totally understand the concept of using an insert cable running an electric amp and the piezo DI'ed a PA. My 'distorted acoustic' comment, i should've clarified, was a response to your statement of:
                    However, the humbucker model and placement was very crucial to the overall design of the Hybrid tonally. Not only when its in use by itself, but also blended with the acoustic pickup.

If the mag pickup positon was chosen with a 'blend' in mind, as you pointed out, your electric amp definately has to be tweaked every time you use the Hybrid.

Jun
                    100% AxeFX ode to Michael Schenker www.javajunkiemusic.com/Audio/Jun/axefxremix.m4a
                    Bravo mic'ed wet/dry/wet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXG-kJCCXk
                    Axe-FX direct recording http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDMmA9tYIF4
                    Rivera TBR-1M http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROvOH2NajL8
                    Hafler T3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzEyWzTz8zo

Comment

Hey Tats!

You my friend have the best posts! Thanks for everything....however I again have to reply to your comment:

"If the mag pickup positon was chosen with a 'blend' in mind, as you pointed out, your electric amp definately has to be tweaked every time you use the Hybrid."

Not True... if you use 2 separate sound sources split using the Hybrid stereo jack this is not neccasary. As soon as you dial in your electric sound it there. Just like a regular electric guitar...It wont change on you. If you have a 2 channel amp you can set a clean tone on the acoustic pickup if you choose not to run into 2 separate sound sources.

Now I myself tweak my sound no matter where I am playing. Thats just me! Every room sounds different. But a major tweaking or set up? no way! This guitar was made to be a players guitar! Easy to understand and work with.

The same tweaking done to a standard a strat at one club on Friday and then another club on Saturday to get the best sound in the room, as minor as it might be is the same tweaking it would take on the Hybrid! I do this myself 3 times a week...

As soon as I was dialed in the first time, its been my go to axe...I have 2 songs that I do not use it on and they are both tunes I need a neck humbucker tone only.....

Thanks guys and take care.
                      Todd Rockfield

Comment

Listened to the clips:

The acoustic sound is nice the distortion sound is not
                        at all useful to me , blend is also useless to me .

I need acoustic or driven ; Scorpions, def leopard, rat,doken.
                        The clips sound like Ted Nuggent , not usefull.

Acoustic and electric with little compromise to either in one
                        guitar would be awesome.
                        But half measures are what they are.
                        Taylors T5 by the way is crap in the electric mode also , acoustic is
                        of course very nice....

I like the body size, the T5 Taylor is too big.

Head stock is not terrible , Schecter Blackjack series might work
                        or a blend of the two.
                        Solid and colored flame would be nice additions.
                        Stained finishes.

Just saying it's not ready for my use, but may be great for
                        multitudes of other players.

Fantastic concept.
                        ps needs 24 frets...
                        Is the scale 24 3/4" ? 25 1/2 "

Comment

I am sure everyone knows that sound files sound different through different systems.

Just for the record... high gain amp and your there for those styles mentioned....
                          Again, I play all sorts of music and it works for all. This is to exception to one style and thats the extreme metal! Even with my mesa cranked. (THAT WAS LOUD BTW)

The acoustic sound I agree is top notch! And when you have the option to split it sparate, man can you really dial her in...
                          Rockfield

Comment

Ok then....once again I will ask..and maybe it IS not important...but, Put the hummbucker here, put it there...piezo here or there...obviously very important questions IF........the frame those pickups sit on are worth a poop......so is this guitar well built to start with or not...no point in talking about what the stereo can do untill we establish that the tires can hold the road ...IMHO.........

Comment

Originally posted by TR2
                              I am sure everyone knows that sound files sound different through different systems...

I mentioned the hi gain sounded like Ted Nugent, a sound I can't use.

For driven sounds I'd need sounds like ;Scorpions, def leopard, rat,doken.

I also said I like the Acoustic clips ,they are nice I'd like to be using it for that,
                              but you say ...sound files sound different through different systems, so am I to not trust what I heard ?

Or :
                              trust the nice acoustic clip.
                              and disregard the weak overdriven clip.

Found no dimensions or complete specs nor options
                              on the Kelly site.

I did a GC and MF search can't find the guitar.

Scale length
                              upper & lower bout
                              thickness
                              finish options
                              tuners

This looks like a very cool guitar, price is great.

Comment

Originally posted by TR2
                                Just for the record... high gain amp and your there for those styles mentioned....
                                ...This is to exception to one style and thats the extreme metal! Even with my mesa cranked.

Clips ?

Comment

Working...
                                X