Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by telemike
    How are the distortion stomp boxes on the RP2520? I am thinking of using it mainly for using the 808 and other stomps with reverb into my amp. Then other presets for chorus and rotary/.

Based on this thread, I decided to go to the local GC and try one out as I have an infant son in the room next to "the studio" and I need a small portable headphone capable system for downstairs.

Using a Mexican Strat, the unit was plugged into a Marshall Solid State half stack with all tone controls set to 12 o'clock and the clean channel gain at 10 o'clock. I can confirm that the bypass in this unit is very good as I did a bypass vs. guitar straight to amp test and I did not notice any difference in tone (granted GC is not the best lab for such tests). All other effects on the unit were bypassed.

Stomp box model impressions are as follows:

TS9 - I have a TS9 reissue I bought a few years back and am very familiar with its tone and this is a darn good emulation. I think there is slightly more gain than available in the actual pedal. Very smooth with that signature mid range bump. Considering TS9's are around $100 dollars, you've already almost justified the price of the unit.

RAT - Had one for many years and have missed it since I sold it. This really brought back some memories. Another very nice emulation. With the gain pegged, total 80's shred. Backed down to 60%, nice smooth and singing. Very nice. Coupled with the TS9 model, the unit's price is already justified.

DS1 - Never really liked this pedal, always seemed harsh and I couldn't ever get it dialed to a usable sound. The model sounds a little tighter in the lows than the original and the highs sound smoother to me, but overall I probably wouldn't use this setting. Would have preferred one of the Boss OD's or the BD2 instead of this model.

Big Muff - Another pedal I couldn't ever get into. Same flabby low end and harsh highs that I remember. Good emulation, just not my bag.

Fuzz - I've had a couple different fuzzes over the years including an Arbiter reissue. This has much more gain on tap than what I remember and less definition. Not a bad fuzz tone, but I've heard better.

I'm not familiar with the rest of the OD/Dist boxes so I can't comment on their accuracy, but most of them sound pretty good. Overall, the unit did sound a bit thin on the "heavy" settings but those would get the least usage (if any) from me and there is EQ on tap which might beef the tone up considerably. Also, remember I was using a strat and can't comment on the "warmth" of the amp I was using.

From a modulation standpoint, it's pretty stanard of Digitech's quality which is very high in my opinion. The Chorus, Detune, Rotary, and Trem all sounded great. Also of note, the digital tracking for octave stuff is good, much better than the Boss Octave pedal I have with less artifacts.

I'm going to go back with a pair of headphones and test the unit further to see what the amp modeling has to offer.
    Will Chen Trio | FrugalGuitarist.com | FG on Facebook | Forum

Comment

Hey Does anyone know if digitech sells a longer cord
      thx

Comment

Originally posted by odo
        thx

What kind of cord?
        Memeber of the Blues Brigade

Comment

Sorry power cord

Comment

Dou you have 2 use the power cord that digitech give u or can u just use any 9 volt adaptor?
            `Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it but your the only one who can truly feel it`

Comment

i dont really know I just use the one they gave me

Comment

You can use any 9-volt adapter as long as it matches the requirements: 1.3A output, and the proper polarity and size of the plug (the polarity is not shown, either on the power supply, the unit, or the manual). Or you could splice an extension wire in between, which is inelegant but does the job. Just make sure you use the same gauge as the existing cord.
                Jon Chappell
                Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/jon_chappell
                Check out my website: http://jonchappell.com

Comment

Just an FYI...

X-Edit and USB drivers for the RP-350 (windows) was released today

Comment

Originally posted by odo
                    thx

I was wondering if maybe an octopus cord like the kind One Spot sells would work as an extension?

Comment

I've been 'hinting' around on the Digitech RP250 forum myself for some enhancements I'd like to see, like the ability to assign more than one thing at a time with the expression pedal. I know the Digitech folks read it so you may want to express some of those fine suggestions yourself.

Comment

Great thread!! I have an older RP200 and while I like some things about it- effects and very easy to use interface are excellent- the amp tones are pretty cold and sterile, especially the OD models. Also, the unit robs my guits of their overall character, which is not a good thing. However, I'm really intrigued by the newer RP's- if the tones are as good as advertised, I'll be picking one up.
                        Good deals http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1#post45270390

YoutubeJams http://www.youtube.com/user/sixblade...4?feature=mhee

Comment

I have what may be a stupid question, if so forgive me and answer anyway please. Can this thing replace my guitar port? In other words, can I plug this into my computer, without plugging in an amp and still play and have the different sounds come out of my computer speakers?

I play mostly at home and this seems much more versatile than my guitar port and I would rather not get out my amp every time I want to play.

Would I need special editing software or hardware?

Thanks!
                          FREE DCinDC!!!

Originally posted by geek_usa

That's damn near sig worthy

but seriously, don't you think just maybe, possibly, quite interestingly enough, it could be YOU?

My gear:
                          2008 Fender American standard strat
                          Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
                          Fender Deluxe Players Strat - FOR SALE
                          SX SST62 - FOR SALE
                          Custom made Tele
                          Fender Super Champ XD - Amazing amp
                          Vox AC4TV - Love it
                          Breedlove AD25/SR Plus
                          Squier Classic vibe 50's Tele AND strat!! (strat is FOR SALE)

Comment

The short answer is yes, you could replace the Guitarport with the RP250.

The long answer involves how you get the sound to your computer speakers - either using USB which may have too much of a delay, or plugging the RP250 analog line outs into your sound card line input.

I don't have a Guitarport but I vaguely remember it working the same way. You can record via USB and monitor via the line outs to avoid the USB latency.

Comment

Cool, thank you for the answer. My daughter really likes the guitar port, so I'll probably just give it to her and I can justify the cost of the RP 250 to the wife.
                              FREE DCinDC!!!

Originally posted by geek_usa

That's damn near sig worthy

but seriously, don't you think just maybe, possibly, quite interestingly enough, it could be YOU?

My gear:
                              2008 Fender American standard strat
                              Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe
                              Fender Deluxe Players Strat - FOR SALE
                              SX SST62 - FOR SALE
                              Custom made Tele
                              Fender Super Champ XD - Amazing amp
                              Vox AC4TV - Love it
                              Breedlove AD25/SR Plus
                              Squier Classic vibe 50's Tele AND strat!! (strat is FOR SALE)

Comment

Originally posted by Jake West
                                Here are some things I don’t like about it:

1) Effect combinations do have limitations. For example, you can have 1 distortion +1 chorus + 1 delay; but you can’t have, for example, 1 chorus + 1 phaser + 1 tremolo or 1 uni-vibe + 1 rotary. This is because phaser, univibe, rotary, ect, fall under the “Chorus/Fx” row, of which you can choose only 1 per “effect chain”.

Hi, i'm italian. I would buy the rp350 but here (in Italy) it will be in the shop only from 10 January 2007.

I would know from the experts if the quoted part written by Jake West is true. Is it true that i can't use, for example, 2 distortion at the same time OR , for example, 1 chorus + 1 octaver at the same time??

This is a very bad thing, in my opinion.
                                I wait your answer. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X