Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig, would you elaborate on line 3-4 having "not an awfull amount of gain"...or how you put it!

Comment

• It's funny, but this same issue came up with the Mackie Onyx 400F: The non-instrument line ins just didn't seem to have a lot of gain.

For example, I plugged my Peavey DPM-3, an older synthesizer, into inputs 3/4 and kicked the gain up as far as it would go (at the synth and the K24D), yet the highest levels I could get were around -6dB. To put things in perspective, that's usually where I like to hit anyway -- I'm one of those people who would rather have a bit more headroom and not worry about losing 1 bit of resolution. But still, that seems a little stingy.

I also tried plugging in a couple of consumer electronics pieces -- a Sony Minidisc, and a Pioneer XM To Go receiver. With the MD, I came out of the line outs, and the XM To Go, the headphone outs. With both cranked to their maximum levels, I wasn't able to get much more than -15dB or so.

Of course, if I patched them into the instrument inputs, I could get plenty of gain. But if you're planning on using the K24D onstage, and you have some older synths around that don't have real hot levels, don't expect that ins 3/4 will bring them up sufficiently to match signal sources you have plugged into inputs 1/2.
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• As promised, it's time for some audio examples because I can tell you all day the Fabrik R sounds great...but hearing is believing.

Please note: When you download any of these examples, if they have a .PHP extension, change them to .MP3 and they will play in iTunes, Windows Media Player, etc.

This first example is just taking a percussive transient and triggering a long tail from the Hall algorithm. As you'll hear, even through it's an MP3, the tail is silky smooth and doesn't have any annoying periodicity or artifacts.

Comment

• This example uses the plate algorithm instead. You can actually make it a bit brighter, but I decided to bring the brightness down so it would be a little "warmer." Again, the sound quality is beyond reproach.

Comment

• Same thing -- impulse through algorithm -- but using the Live algorithm. TC says this one is a bit grainier and has more presence, and it does.

Comment

• In contrast to the previous examples that showed off the quality of the decay tail, this one puts the reverb in context. Here we have drums going through an algorithm I tweaked to give a fairly smal room sound -- something to add some ambience.

Comment

• In this example, the drums are "opened up" by being put in a concert hall.

So if you've downloaded the previous examples, now you know why I think the reverb is really good

Comment

• I think we've covered a fair amount of ground so far, but we still need to cover the Fabrik C, which has excellent compression and equalization. There are also some other loose ends, like the ability to store routing presets for live use, storage of Fabrik presets, and the like...see ya later!

Comment

• Craig thanks for all!

You are great!

Comment

• Craig,

In regard to its operation with Sonar 6, do you believe these issues will be addressed by either TC or Cakewalk in the near future? Also, IYO will Konnekt's functionality with Sonar ever be on par with Cubase or Logic?

Comment

• In regard to its operation with Sonar 6, do you believe these issues will be addressed by either TC or Cakewalk in the near future? Also, IYO will Konnekt's functionality with Sonar ever be on par with Cubase or Logic?

Of course, I cannot speak for TC or Cakewalk, nor am I privy to their priorities for Konnekt 24D. All I can do is speculate based on common sense.

Sonar is an extremely popular program, so it would be in TC's best interests for Konnekt to be fully compatible with it. Furthermore, it is in Cakewalk's best interests for Sonar to work with as many interfaces as possible. Whether the problem is with Konnekt or Sonar is hard to say, because Sonar works with several other interfaces I've tested, and Konnekt 24D works with several other hosts I've tested. However, both products are relatively new, and each has had one small update. These are the kinds of issues that generally get worked out over time.

However, I would always caution against buying something because "someday it might work the way I want." You can only go by what exists now. On the other hand, both companies have alluded to updates that will be released relatively soon. I'm sure now that this issue is on their radars, at the very least some testing will occur to find out if there really is a problem, or whether this is something unique to my system.

Comment

• Craig, is the situation for line in 1-2 at the back of the unit the same as you described the line 3-4? I have an MKS70 and a Microwave XT I 'd like to be able to patch in ther all the time at home.

Also I have an S5000 with adat outs and a Creamware Noah with ADAT out and spdifs, what happens to the sync situation if I hav both unit conceted to the konnekt? Let's say I conncet the S5000 through ADAT to the Konnekt and have it sync to the S5000, how do I kepp the Noah in sync with the rest if it's Spdif goes to Konnekt too? WOuld the word sync come handy here?

Comment

• Craig, is the situation for line in 1-2 at the back of the unit the same as you described the line 3-4? I have an MKS70 and a Microwave XT I 'd like to be able to patch in ther all the time at home.

Yes, but you can always go through the front panel connections for 1+2 and if you need more gain. The issue with 3+4 is there is no front panel "instrument" input.

Also I have an S5000 with adat outs and a Creamware Noah with ADAT out and spdifs, what happens to the sync situation if I hav both unit conceted to the konnekt? Let's say I conncet the S5000 through ADAT to the Konnekt and have it sync to the S5000, how do I kepp the Noah in sync with the rest if it's Spdif goes to Konnekt too? WOuld the word sync come handy here?

Konnekt 24D does not have word clock sync so that option is out. As to your other questions, I don't know enough about the gear you mention -- can it slave? Does it have to be a master? Does it have in and out? For example, it might be possible to send an ADAT out into Konnekt and have the K24D sync to that, and another device entering via SPDIF, but which also has a SPDIF in. You would run the K24D SPDIF out to the second device's SPDIF in, and set the second device to slave to the K24D.

Comment

• When using Wavelab 5 or 6 with the Konnekt 24D, either with ASIO or WDM, I get gapping and interruptions in audio playback (even with 8,192 sample buffers in the K24D). I have the 6.00b patch installed in Wavelab 6 and whatever the last update was for Wavelab 5. This doesn't seem to be a problem with recording, only playback. I tested Wavelab out with some other interfaces, and it worked fine.

Mike, have you tried the K24D with Wavelab? Do you know of anyone else having this problem?

Comment

• Craig, I gather the issue with the line levels. as different from the driver issue, is hardware related...so there is no way they (TC) can change that. Am I right?

Comment

Working...
                                X