Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spokenward
    The Konnekt 24D has associated plugins, the Fabriks are integrated and the Assimilator is bundled. The thing I like best about firewire and USB interfaces is the ability to move them from machine to machine. What happens to the plugs? Are they installed and registered on only one machine? How does the licensing work?

Fabrik C and Fabrik R are physically in the Konnekt 24D itself, much like external effects units. These will always be available when your Konnekt is in use and even when your Konnekt i24D s away from the computer in stand alone mode.

Assimilator runs natively, using the computer's CPU. In this case however Konnekt 24D functions as a dongle.

There is no limit to how many computers you want to use the Fabrik's and Assimilator with but Konnekt 24D is required to use all of them.
    -Mike Martin
    Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Mike and Craig for the detailed answers to all of my questions!

Thanks for the offer to put together a comparison chart Mike.
      http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Martin
        Fabrik C and Fabrik R are physically in the Konnekt 24D itself, much like external effects units. These will always be available when your Konnekt is in use and even when your Konnekt i24D s away from the computer in stand alone mode.

Assimilator runs natively, using the computer's CPU. In this case however Konnekt 24D functions as a dongle.

There is no limit to how many computers you want to use the Fabrik's and Assimilator with but Konnekt 24D is required to use all of them.

That is a very sensible way of handling it. thanks.

Comment

Here is a quick run down of the differences. All other features are identical.

Analog outputs
          Konnekt 8 - 2
          Konnekt 24D - 4

Digital I/O
          Konnekt 8 - Coax S/PDIF
          Konnekt 24D - Coax S/PDIF + ADAT Optical or Stereo Optical S/PDIF

DSP
          Konnekt 8 - none
          Konnekt 24D - Fabrik C/Fabrik R

Additional Software
          Konnekt 8 - none
          Konnekt 24D - Assimilator Konnekt

Simulataneous DAW Channels
          Konnekt 8 - 4/4
          Konnekt 24D - 12/12

Mike Martin
          TC|US
          -Mike Martin
          Casio America, Inc.

Comment

In a previous post, I tested several programs with the Konnekt 24D, and was able to get reliable operation with 128 samples (and even 64 samples with Tracktion), but couldn't get Sonar 6 to work reliably with anything less than 256 samples.

This raised a few eyebrows on the Sonar forum, so I did some extra testing. I tested Sonar 6 with the Creamware SCOPE interface and got reliable operation over ASIO at 3 milliseconds, and with the E-Mu 1820m ASIO at 4 milliseconds This was a somewhat more complex testing environment that the other tests, as it had a few drum tracks and an AmpliTube2 plug-in.

Therefore, it seems the Sonar latency issue is related to the driver in the Konnekt 24D. Scott from ADK pointed out that RME ended up having to do some driver tweaks for Sonar; I seem to recall someone at Creamware saying basically the same thing.

This may be one of those "1.0" deals. For example, it took a few revs before the 1820m drivers were rock solid with Sonar. But I don't know if this is something in the Konnekt 24D, or in the way it interacts with my machine.
            CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Craig,
              I don't have Sonar here to compare at the moment. Let me see what I can do about that.
              -Mike Martin
              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Thanks Mike!

Comment

I think we've pretty much nailed the I/O and sync, but before getting into the DSP software, it's worth noting this is one of the few interfaces that is designed to work well as a stand-alone device, without the computer being on or even having to use the mixer applet. (Of course, you'll need to use the enclosed power supply to provide power to the K24D.)

This will also help explain the semi-circular array of red dots in Mike Martin's avatar . Click on the attachment to see how this works. The source level control is indeed a hardware level control, but how do you know which source it's controlling, and the associated level? The Ch. Select button toggles among ch1, ch2, inputs 3/4, and user, which consists of user-definable functions (we'll get into this later). This is the source controlled by the level. As the Level control is a continuous controller, a ring of LEDs light around its rim and this corresponds to the level.

But there's more: Push the knob, and it controls pan for the selected source. Then leave the knob alone for a second, and it reverts back to being a volume control.

If have the mixer applet visible, you can see the fader change as you move this control. But it stand-alone mode, it makes it easy to see the relative volume of each channel.

Comment

Another interesting feature is that when using the applet, clicking on a control with a little ringed knob icon allows the front panel level control to monitor the level. (Click on the attachment; these assignable parameters are circled in yellow, except that the one circled in red is the currently selected parameter.

So, for example, if you wanted to see the level of an ADAT channel pair, you'd click on the little knob icon and you'd be able to adjust this, and see it, from the front panel. In a way, this makes the interface into a bit of a remote control. For example, suppose you're playing guitar several feet away from your computer because you don't want to pick up noise. With the 6' FireWire cable, you could have interface several feet away from the computer, and use the front panel knob to set the guitar gain.

Comment

The User option can control different parameters, depending on how the K24D is configured. You choose what parameter the user switch position controls in the applet, on the Setup page, with a drop-down menu. Click on the attachment to see the choices for the K24D I'm using.

Comment

So why is stand-alone mode useful? Well, TC probably had loftier apps in mind but I like being able to run the optical SPDIF from my CD player into the digital in, and take advantage of the higher-quality D/A converters (and headphone) that the K24D offers compared to my circa late 80s CD player. It also makes a good headphone amp for practicing guitar, especially with a little compression, EQ, and reverb. And while I didn't try this as an application, it seems to me this would be a convenient little mixer for a solo act: Stick a mic in one input, guitar through a POD or whatever into another input, and a backup medium (CD, MD, etc.) into the line ins.

This could also work well for my live act in conjunction with a laptop, as it can handle guitar, voice, and has the necessary MIDI connections for my Peavey PC-1600 hardware controller...as well as hardware processing for the guitar and voice, so I wouldn't have to use plug-ins. I'll probably still stick with the PreSonus Firebox because it's considerably smaller, but if I need the extra DSP or don't want to deal with the FireBox's breakout cable to handle MIDI, then the Konnekt 24D would be ideal.

Comment

There's one other difference between the Konnekt 8 and K24D that's admittedly minor -- but hey, this is a Pro Review so I don't have to worry about running out of page space! The front panel DSP select button in the K24D is replaced by an AUX in monitor button on the Konnekt 8. When pressed in, this monitors the rear panel AUX inputs.

Comment

Hi and thanks for the great review, I recently sold my 01V and switched to a laptop, so I am considering the MOTU Traveller and the Konnekt 24, I also have a TL-audio 5051 valve strip...

My questions is about syncing the digital input, since there is no clock sync on the Konnekt doe that mean the Motu would be more relible as far as the syncing goes (I had problem syncing to adat between my 01V and my EMU 1212 through lite pipe, the spdif worked better!)

ALso am I losing quality by using the Konnekt preamps compared to the 5051? How do the MOTU Traveller and the Konnekt pres match up (apart from having 4 on the MOTU)?

finally is the Fabrik Reverb on pair with better software reverebs asuch as Waves Convolution reverbs ?

Thanks

Comment

My questions is about syncing the digital input, since there is no clock sync on the Konnekt doe that mean the Motu would be more relible as far as the syncing goes (I had problem syncing to adat between my 01V and my EMU 1212 through lite pipe, the spdif worked better!)

I assume by clock sync you mean word clock. You can of course sync to the K24D via ADAT, optical SPDIF, or coax SPDIF. But I've always had good luck doing ADAT sync.

ALso am I losing quality by using the Konnekt preamps compared to the 5051?

Well, the Konnekt preamps are designed to be clean and accurate. Anything with a tube is going to have a different character. In a way, this would be an advantage to you as you could patch the 5051 into the line ins when you want a tube sound, and use the Konnekt pres when you want a "neutral" sound.

How do the MOTU Traveller and the Konnekt pres match up (apart from having 4 on the MOTU)?

I have not had the opportunity to test the MOTU Traveller, sorry...

finally is the Fabrik Reverb on pair with better software reverebs asuch as Waves Convolution reverbs ?

I'll be testing the DSP next. However, as with the preamp question, it's a little "apples and orange": I do not believe Fabrik is a convolution-based reverb, but synthesis-based. So it's kind of like asking if a Waldorf synth is on a par with an Akai sampler; they're different technologies, with different characters. A more accurate comparison would be to something like a Lexicon hardware reverb or something like the IK CSR reverbs.

Comment

thanks for your great review so far.

I've seriously considered to get Konnket 24D
                                from the first time I heard about this unit.

will keep watching this review, probably asking some questions sometimes.

keep doing great work!

KJ, Korea

PS, I read many post comparing Konnket to Saffire in a few forum during my research. It seems like those units are most decent (firewire) audio interface in the market on this price range. So I believe it will be very helpful for many people if you can tell us some pros and cons or any differences in comparing two units (even if you already said you didn't have Saffire with you)

cheers,

Comment

Working...
                                X