Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig, I had a vague sense that it might be possible to use outputs 3/4 for the room mix, and assign the cue mix to 1/2/Phones, and sure enough, that is what I find recommended for a DJing situation on p.19 of the manual:

This example illustrates how Konnekt integrates perfectly
    in a live setup. The objects in a live setup could be:
    • DAW/laptop as source for playing audio-files.
    • Headphones for undisturbed monitoring using the
    OUTPUT level control for separate headphones level.
    • Microphone for vocals utilizing Konnekt’s IMPACT™
    pre-amps and e.g. the Fabrik C channel strip*.
    • MIDI keys for additional keyboards and/or program
    changes.
    • Distribution to PA (amp-speakers) using the SOURCE
    level control as separate level control.
    Connect all devices according to the illustration above.
    Remember to activate phantom power if you are using a
    condenser microphone. Also note that outputs 3/4 in this
    setup are used as main outs to PA.
    Advantage of this setup
    This setup enables you to route different signals to the
    headphones and PA system via the DAW. This is useful
    for numerous purposes. E.g. for excellent cue monitoring
    for DJ’s as well as individual level control of the two
    signals.

I'm wondering if, like me, you were making the assumption that 1/2 would have to be the main (room) mix in such a situation, and therefore failed to see the solution of using 3/4 as the main mix, or was I perhaps not clear enough in explaining what I wanted to achieve?

BTW, not to hijack the thread, but what are the main problems you heard about with the Saffire and Ultralite? I should check whether the K24D has similar issues as those interfaces.

Gee, to be honest, I haven't even bothered to keep track of the specific issues associated with each interface, but I remember that there were, for example, problems involving the performance of the stock Rage 128 video card in the early G4s when one of the interfaces was in operation. There's also the question of the slow system bus on that generation of G4. If any other specific issues come back to me, I'll be sure to post them here.

BTW, I notice that the manual states that the minimum requirement for the operation of the 24D itself is (on a Mac) OS 10.3.9, while Assimilator requires 10.4.x. Could Mike confirm that the 24D will work with Panther, and does not require Tiger?
    Mac "Sawtooth" G4 with 1.4 Ghz upgrade, 1 GB RAM, ADS Firewire Card with TI chipset, Internal IDE 80 GB + 250 GB HDDs, OS 10.4.10, Konnekt 24D

Comment

• He thanx for the pro review....

The konnekt 24d site has nearly NO information on the interface (just some german guy saying the interface is really nice )

As a newbie i found ev in your review helpful (even you taking the interface apart)

Can someone tell me if the sending of the effects also work in logic 5.5 (pc version) and i hope that a review of the assimilator effect is still coming?

One of the reasons my eye caught this card was that someone told me that this effect also worked like a vst plugin and that the cards hardware did the calculating. Now that i know this is not true i still would like to know if you guys can help me out if this tool really helps me out with my mix. (jazz house music)

I also found your review about the guitar-preamps...effects etc. very nice.... 90 procent shure that i'm buying this card next week...

keep up da good work and props for your dedication!!!!

grtzz

John

Comment

• Yeah, thanks a lot Craig... this is really helpful! Let's hope that these Sonar-latency issues are properly addressed and this unit becomes the go-to interface for those of us at this price range!

Comment

• I'm wondering if, like me, you were making the assumption that 1/2 would have to be the main (room) mix in such a situation, and therefore failed to see the solution of using 3/4 as the main mix, or was I perhaps not clear enough in explaining what I wanted to achieve?

Actually it had occurred to me, but I thought you wanted to be able to monitor EITHER bus with the headphones. Although now that I think about it, by the time it hits the PA, there's no real need to monitor it on the phones.

But this brings up a good point I'm not sure I mentioned: Using the Send controls, you can send signal to any of the outputs. For example, you wouldn't have to send to 3/4/, you could send to the SPDIF or ADAT out if that was more convenient to use as an output.
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Can someone tell me if the sending of the effects also work in logic 5.5 (pc version) and i hope that a review of the assimilator effect is still coming?

Yes, there will be a review of the Assimilator as that is part of the package and besides, it looks like fun

Unfortunately I don't have Logic to test here, but any host that can do real-time monitoring of an input should work. The Konnekt 24D ins and outs to the Fabrik R work just like any other inputs or outputs.
            N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Let's hope that these Sonar-latency issues are properly addressed and this unit becomes the go-to interface for those of us at this price range!

Well let me emphasize that may be an issue with my particular system. I haven't received word one way or the other whether anyone has used the K24D with Sonar and experienced the same kind of issues I did, or had no problems at all. So at the moment, my database of "K24D with Sonar experiences" consists of one person with one computer! I don't think that's enough to draw any solid conclusions just yet.

Comment

• Craig,

Concerning your system... I spoke to TC yesterday and they suggested using a dedicated TI chipset firewire card, claiming that if I did, latencies of 128 to 256 would be obtainable with ANY DAW. Are you using a dedicated 1394 PCI card or at least running the K24D as the only firewire peripheral hooked up to your computer? Apparently this thing doesn't like to share!

Sorry if you mentioned this earlier... this thread is getting long.

Comment

• Re having the Konnekt on its own firewire card: my early G4 only has the original firewire/USB ports. I was hoping to make the best use of my three expansion bays by getting a USB 2.0 and Firewire IEEE 1394 Combo PCI card. Would having the USB 2.0 on the same card as the one the Konnekt is attached to (even if I were not using the firewire for anything other than the Konnekt) be equally inadvisable? Or would the best solution really be to have that card for most firewire/USB purposes, and a separate 1394 card for the Konnekt? If I do that, then a new video card (needed to drive a large DVI monitor I'm planning on getting) will use up the last remaining bay.
                  Mac "Sawtooth" G4 with 1.4 Ghz upgrade, 1 GB RAM, ADS Firewire Card with TI chipset, Internal IDE 80 GB + 250 GB HDDs, OS 10.4.10, Konnekt 24D

Comment

• I spoke to TC yesterday and they suggested using a dedicated TI chipset firewire card, claiming that if I did, latencies of 128 to 256 would be obtainable with ANY DAW. Are you using a dedicated 1394 PCI card or at least running the K24D as the only firewire peripheral hooked up to your computer?

Both! Dedicated card with TI chipset, nothing else connected. I do get latencies of 256 samples with Sonar, albeit with glitching sometimes, but what's curious to me is that I get 128 with other hosts and even 64 with Tracktion.

Comment

• Aloha! This review has been very helpful as a new owner of the 24D. I am using a Macbook 2 GB with 2 GB ram and I record using Logic. The 24D is Very clean and worth the learning curve just like logic.

BUT I went to record a jam session with the 24D and I had planed on using 2 condesor mics and 2 line ins on the famous quiet line 3+4. I could barely here my Mesa Boogie walkabout Scout bass amp and the guitar players amp was even softer than mine, barely a visual or audible signal. I did turn everything in the TCNear up. We both had our direct outputs cranked. Unfortunately I purchased this unit for this exact setup and with out purchasing another, I can only record 2 tracks. We did pull an ond tube mic pre out of the closet to get the bass recorded it sounded great TC has really done a great job with this product, but I had hoped to just use the 24D a GREAT product on it's own and not have to bring a bunch extra gear. I'm hoping Mike is back soon, so that we can find out if there is a fix other than sending back the first batch due to incorect gain settings on input 3+4.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

• Hi all, the line 3-4 line level may be a deal breaker for me as well, now let's keep the fingers crossed for TC's feed back on t hat.

Comment

• Hi All,

I just heard from TC's tech support:

Indeed, a new firmware (and, I think, software) update is on the way---I would expect very soon.

That I cannot direct monitor is a known issue and will be fixed with the firmware update.

Naturally. I would expect further issues to be resolved by the update, but I don't have a list of them.

Dt

Comment

• I've done quite a bit of testing this morning, on Konnekt 24D and the 3-4 inputs. I'd like ask Craig (or anyone else) to take a moment to conduct something similar.

I took a test tone, generated from a KSP8. This signal was run into Konnekt through the ADAT inputs.

From Cubase SX 3, I monitored this input signal and output it to Line Outs 3-4. I took a patch cable and connected the line out 3-4 to line inputs 3-4. The levels are identical at both input and output stages. (screen shot attached)

I did similar tests generating test tones from a Yamaha digital and compared the line level inputs to an RME Multiface and got identical results.

-Mike Martin
                            TC|US
                            -Mike Martin
                            Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Originally posted by sonicE
                              Re having the Konnekt on its own firewire card: my early G4 only has the original firewire/USB ports. I was hoping to make the best use of my three expansion bays by getting a USB 2.0 and Firewire IEEE 1394 Combo PCI card. Would having the USB 2.0 on the same card as the one the Konnekt is attached to (even if I were not using the firewire for anything other than the Konnekt) be equally inadvisable? Or would the best solution really be to have that card for most firewire/USB purposes, and a separate 1394 card for the Konnekt? If I do that, then a new video card (needed to drive a large DVI monitor I'm planning on getting) will use up the last remaining bay.

SonicE,
                              In my experience (on PC based machines), USB/Firewire Combo cards are troublesome when it comes to 1394 audio interfaces. I can't say that you wouldn't have better luck on your Mac, because I've never used a combo card on a Mac but in general most companies recommend that you use a dedicated 1394 card.

-Mike Martin
                              TC|US
                              -Mike Martin
                              Casio America, Inc.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anderton
                                When using Wavelab 5 or 6 with the Konnekt 24D, either with ASIO or WDM, I get gapping and interruptions in audio playback (even with 8,192 sample buffers in the K24D). I have the 6.00b patch installed in Wavelab 6 and whatever the last update was for Wavelab 5. This doesn't seem to be a problem with recording, only playback. I tested Wavelab out with some other interfaces, and it worked fine.

Mike, have you tried the K24D with Wavelab? Do you know of anyone else having this problem?

Craig,
                                I'm currently using a beta of the upcoming 1.03 release and playback works fine.

In addition, you may want to confirm you clock settings, Wavelab will change them based on the file you're clocked to an external source as I was, could create a problem.

-Mike Martin
                                TC|US
                                -Mike Martin
                                Casio America, Inc.

Comment

Working...
                                X