Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just realized I have your Mixing / Mastering Cubase book.

Hope ya revise it one day covering Izotope Ozone 3

Comment

• Has anyone had trouble setting the latency offset so that newly recorded tracks align correctly (sample-accurately) with existing tracks? I tried to measure the offset by connecting an output directly to an input, re-recording the track from that input, and then zooming in to see individual samples and measuring the difference. What I found is that the alignment was different every time, and so there is no correct offset value. This is with a new FireStudio in ASIO mode (and one processor core disabled, of course, to avoid crashes).

If anyone has tried this and managed to get consistent alignment, I'd like to know what hardware you're using. I'm considering returning the FireStudio because of this, although I love it in almost every other respect.

A bit more detail here (sorry for the crosspost, but no one was answering and I suspect there are more DAW experts here).

Comment

• Craig,

Thanks for the response! 1) I THINK I updated to 6.1.2...but need to check and see if that works for me with a standard template...as you said, go figure.

2) Yes, I have checked the "Use Friendly Names For Drivers" box. Interestingly enough, it works for MIDI...but not for audio. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Aidel: I'm taking a guess here, but I'd imagine that its difficult to get the same offset every time because of the computer...not the interface. At any given time, the computer processes numerous tasks in the background...and each of those tasks will eat up a little time recording-wise. When you record today at 30PM it will be in the midst of x-number of tasks...tomorrow at 5:40 it will be in the middle of processing another number...hence the difference in offset.

I'd imagine that difference will be even greater if you're not using a dedicated computer optimized for audio...not sure if you are, but just a thought.
        -C

Comment

• Has anyone had trouble setting the latency offset so that newly recorded tracks align correctly (sample-accurately) with existing tracks? I tried to measure the offset by connecting an output directly to an input, re-recording the track from that input, and then zooming in to see individual samples and measuring the difference. What I found is that the alignment was different every time, and so there is no correct offset value. This is with a new FireStudio in ASIO mode (and one processor core disabled, of course, to avoid crashes).

If anyone has tried this and managed to get consistent alignment, I'd like to know what hardware you're using. I'm considering returning the FireStudio because of this, although I love it in almost every other respect.

A bit more detail here (sorry for the crosspost, but no one was answering and I suspect there are more DAW experts here).

I can't answer your question but I will repeat my recommendation to another question. Try posting on the Sonar Forum hosted by Cakewalk. There are plenty of helpful users there with very similar gear to you.

Comment

• I can't answer your question but I will repeat my recommendation to another question. Try posting on the Sonar Forum hosted by Cakewalk. There are plenty of helpful users there with very similar gear to you.

I did! Thread is here. I received a somewhat helpful response from one person, which led me to think that it was the FireStudio's fault; but I don't want to return the FireStudio without knowing what I can buy that will (1) be approximately equivalent to the FireStudio, and (2) not have this problem. I also posted in the Presonus forum, but haven't received any responses. I was hoping they could tell me that a future driver or firmware release would fix it.

I think it's the case that ASIO should make perfect synchronization possible... isn't it? I'm not even talking about MIDI or virtual instruments; just recording one audio track after another.

Comment

• I think it's the case that ASIO should make perfect synchronization possible... isn't it? I'm not even talking about MIDI or virtual instruments; just recording one audio track after another.

OK I read your Sonar Forum post too. Although I can't help specifically with the Firestudio, I agree with the comment above.

Have you tried WDM at all, that should also be capable of sample accurate alignment? I use a MOTU 828 with the WDM drivers as I also use other soundcards (so ASIO is not possible). With this set up running on an ancient (in PC terms) P4 2.4G (Np HT!) I have no problems. It seems that there are problems, as you say, with the Firestudio ASIO drivers.

Comment

• Have you tried WDM at all, that should also be capable of sample accurate alignment? I use a MOTU 828 with the WDM drivers as I also use other soundcards (so ASIO is not possible). With this set up running on an ancient (in PC terms) P4 2.4G (Np HT!) I have no problems. It seems that there are problems, as you say, with the Firestudio ASIO drivers.

Yeah, with WDM it just crashed. I really wish someone from Presonus would respond to my question on their forum. It seems like they're usually pretty good about that; maybe their main support guy is on vacation or something.

Comment

• Did you re-profile the card when you selected WDM? This isn't needed with ASIO but can really screw up with WDM. "Just crashed" seems a pretty extreme problem. I'm wondering if there isn't something else (PC setup?) going wrong here.

When specific problems like this turn up it is usually something to do with driver installation/software installation. After all if the WDM drivers crashed for everyone and the ASIO was generally so variable then there would be a blood bath going on in the forum's.

I know this is a pretty generic response. Sorry I can't be more specific. I guess you really need presonus to call you back.....

Good luck!

Comment

• For a while I've tossed up between Cubase 4 or Studio or Sonar 6 PE, obviously AudioSnap is a step in the right direction but needs to go a little bit further.

I hope in the next release of Sonar PE they will introduce an improved more easier tool that is part of AudioSnap. Have a Tempo-Track with user defined metronome sounds (hit hat, snare, whatever) the Tempo Track is basically a ghost track that becomes the main time base with an advanced Groove Quantization Map using presets or custom user presets called "Groove Quantization Maps" that will work "even more" seamlessly with both Audio and Midi. The idea is that all tracks regardless if they are midi or audio, and regardless if you or slice and arrange small clip sections or have gradual slow-down or speed-up tempo changes of the main Tempo Track, make the Groove Quantization as such so that both Audio and Midi on all tracks "automatically" locks into perfect timing without having to do any manual editing.

Not sure if I explained myself well!

For example: I noticed with Cubase Sequel it locks everything into perfect timing automatically regardless if it's midi or audio, to start a project simply drag and drop a drum pattern or other midi rhythm source and Sequel automatically sets the tempo for all other tracks for that project (Both midi and audio), of course the tempo can later be slowed down or speed up), although I don't think there are editable adjustments such as the power of AudioSnap found in Sonar 6.

Comment

• Well Craig,

Time for the Sonar 7 review already. Just when I thought I was getting used to "6"!

Comment

Working...
                      X