Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craig,

Thanks very much for this in depth run through. You have picked up on many things I have missed so far. I am yet to try out AudioSnap again using 6.2. I'm hoping for better results than I had with 6.01!

It's way better in my experience.

Did Bob ever get back to you regarding you BCF2000 button problem? If so I would like to hear if it is resolved.

Nope, never heard anything back. Maybe it's time to ping him again...
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• I hear that Cakewalk is on the Radius transposition issue, and a 6.2.1 update will be fixing it shortly.

Comment

• Anderton

It looks as though you did a pretty in depth review of sonar 6 pe, I'm looking at possible cross grading to this in stead of upgrading to cubase 4 or even if was available sx3. But since they dropped support for sx3 and cubase 4 is still full of bugs. I was wondering did you have a change to explore the surround sound side of it. And would you happen to have any snap shots of the controls for it. My goal has always been to record and mix in surround sound. To get a better idea of this is i plan on doing most of this in the box. Other than vocals and occasional acustic guitars the rest will be mainly vst and such. Could you give me some recommendations or in site on this.

thanks

Comment

• Well I'm sorry to say I haven't worked in surround with Sonar. However, people who do tell me the implementation is very good -- apparently it benefitted from being "late to the party." I've included a short of the panner and Sonitus Surround Compressor for ya.

One of the feature people really seem to like is SurroundBridge, which lets you patch standard mono and stereo plug-ins into surround buses (not tracks, buses). So if you have a fave reverb and want to use it as a surround reverb, you can.

Anyone out there using Sonar for surround? Care to chime in?

Comment

• Anderton

thanks for the feed back. I really hate to put you on the spot like this. So here goes. If some one offered you either sx3 or sonar producer 6 which would you take. As unbiased as you can make it why. I know its stupid to ask and don't worry my decision making will be all my own. Also I'm collecting feed back from other sources as well.

thanks

Comment

• Anderton

thanks for the feed back. I really hate to put you on the spot like this. So here goes. If some one offered you either sx3 or sonar producer 6 which would you take. As unbiased as you can make it why. I know its stupid to ask and don't worry my decision making will be all my own. Also I'm collecting feed back from other sources as well.

thanks

Well I have both, so I don't have to worry about it But I use Sonar PE6 for most of my music work for many reasons, but one of the biggest is because it handles acidized files very well; you can edit and tweak them, which is necessary because a lot of sample CD manufacturers don't do it right in the first place (ahem). I use Acidized files a lot for doing audio-for-video so it's an essential part of what I do. SX3 doesn't have this ability; Acid Pro does.

SX3 has the Quadrafuzz effect and some nice synths, and I think its MIDI implementation is better and more streamlined than Sonar's. However, Sonar's is adequate for my needs. I also have found AudioSnap and ACT to be valuable additions to Sonar; there's no direct equivalent in SX3.

Really, the way to choose ANY sequencer is to find which sequencers have unique features that other ones don't have, and if they're relevant to what you do, that narrows things down considerably. But I don't use Sonar all the time. For example, Acid Pro remains the fastest way to put a soundtrack together; Live is my program of choice (by far) for live performance. When I'm doing Mac projects, Digital Performer gets the nod. Cubase is what I used all the time before I started using Sonar, so it's still a comfortable environment and if I get a project in that uses Cubase, it feels comfortable to use it.

Comment

• Thanks

I understand, They are simply tools no more no less. using the right tool for the job at hand.

Comment

• Hi Craig, I'm trying to decide between Logic, DP5 and Sonar. Does the end-to-end 64 bit processing in Sonar make that much difference? Your reviews are amazing. - Chris Dixon
                  P.S. That New Years snow dump was a doozy.

Comment

• Well Logic and DP5 are Mac-only, and Sonar is Windows-only, so it also sounds like you're trying to decide between platforms...or do you use both? Or maybe you're planning to run Sonar under Boot Camp?

Anyway, the importance of the 64-bit thing depends mostly on the type of project you're doing. Basically, the more calculations that are involved -- mixing, plug-ins, etc. -- the more of a difference it can make. Is it a HUGE difference? No, but those little differences can add up in a complex project.

And there's STILL snow around here from that storm, sitting on the north side of hills and in the shady side of trees!

Comment

• At LEAST the roads are clear...... I'm a mac fan, but pretty happy on either platform. Pros and cons to both I guess and I'm waiting to purchase my desktop based on what software I choose. I've been leaning towads Sonar (and thus a PC) based on this forum and the software features - but wasn't sure about the true worth of the higher bit rate in terms of mix clarity and that ever elusive "analog" feel. Do you have any opinion as to whether it brings a computer mix closer to sounding like it was done on a board? -The argument being that computer-based mixes sound "small" by comparison.... Thanks! -Chris Dixon

Comment

• I've been leaning towads Sonar (and thus a PC) based on this forum and the software features - but wasn't sure about the true worth of the higher bit rate in terms of mix clarity and that ever elusive "analog" feel. Do you have any opinion as to whether it brings a computer mix closer to sounding like it was done on a board? -The argument being that computer-based mixes sound "small" by comparison.... Thanks! -Chris Dixon

You'll see a lot of opinions about in the box vs. console mixing, but one FACT I can offer is that there is a difference. An analog circuit is inherently a signal processor. So is digital, but the "processing" that it applies is different. As an obvious example, with digital, distortion increases at lower levels while with analog, distortion increases at higher levels (particularly with tape).

A 64-bit digital path applies the least amount of digital processing that's techologically possible. Will you hear a difference? As I said, it depends on the material. But I do believe that with proper gain-staging and judicious use of dithering, you can indeed get a "close to analog" sound while mixing in the box.

Sometimes I think the reason why console mixes sound "bigger" is because people get to use a real control surface, and turn the mix into a more of a performance -- which is going to be an inherently more interesting-sounding mix. This is a subject that's touched on quite a bit in the April 07 issue of EQ.

Comment

• Thank you so much for the information Craig. I truly appreciate your time and hard-earned expertise. Best of luck with all you are doing! - Chris Dixon

Comment

• Follow-up: Update 6.2.1 is out, and it fixes the Radius transposition bug. Yay! Seems like Cakewalk is being quite diligent about updates these days.

Comment

• I apologize for resurrecting an old thread, but I only stumbled upon this site recently.

I have a question about Session Drummer 2. Is it Soundfonts only, and therefore 16-bit only? That seems to be what's implied earlier, unless the soundfont format got an upgrade recently I don't know about. It seems a shame if that's so.

Again, thank you for letting me resurrect this thread.

Comment

• Well after spending time with the demo and hanging out at their web site. Plus asking a ton of dumb questions. I finally took the plunge and ordered the sonar 6 PE cross grade it should be here by the end of this week I hope!

Comment

Working...
                                X