Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• while I appreciate the amount of work that went into this review, and although the Floor POD sounds alright, I won't be giving up my V-Amp2 for it.
    My Original Music:
    Goetic Circle
    Ashes of the Magician
    UNDEAD PRIEST
    In the Name of Majestic Hellfire

Comment

• I think the whole point of the Floor POD is that it's about as easy to program as it gets. Check it out at your local music store, and I think you'll see it's all pretty obvious.

Thanks for your prompt reply, i looked at a floor pod at guitar center.but the salesman couldn't tell me much about it, so i turned to you guys and got the answers i needed. thanks again

Sincerely, Marty
      born to rock... forced to work

Comment

• Just got back into playing electric guitar after a loooonnng hiatus. After not playing at all for over 10 years, I picked back up the acoustic guitar about 2 years ago, and have been jamming with some guys locally. Finally bought an electric a few months back, and was looking for a multi-effects box to give me some versatility. A guy at the local mega-store suggested the FloorPOD.

Before I even got it out of the box, I read the first several pages of this review thread. THANK YOU!!! So much guidance in one place was way more than I expected. It really got me up to speed.

The thing that really struck me were your comments about the unit's ability to inspire. I have seen that firsthand. I am little more than a novice on the guitar, but the Floor POD has certainly taken my creativity up a notch. I understand it has it's limitations, but it seems perfect for where I am.

This past weekend, the band I jam with played a few sets at a youth conference. I debuted my electric, and my Floor POD. What a blast!!! It felt like a "coming of age". I'm anxious to keep learning more and more about what this thing can do, as I get better and better at my playing.

PS: Looking at a loop pedal next in the sub-$300 range. The forum search function here seems to be down. If you could point me to any good reviews, I'd appreciate it.
        MacBook Pro (2.6/4/10.5.1) : Logic Express 8 : M-Audio Axiom 25 : Stylus RMX : Zero-G Morphology : Guitars (Ibanez acoustic, Fender/Squire Strat) : Tenor (D) Steelpan

Comment

• Craig,

That was a very informative review.

As more and more guitar gear becomes software based or software controlled, it becomes harder and harder to just 'try out' something in a store and get a real feel for what it can do, and how well it can do it.

Reviews such as this-a technically competent person who's also a musician-are just what's needed to sort through the new stuff coming out and avoid expensive disappointments in gear purchases.

Thanks!

Larry
          LarryProud Member: Mazi Bee MilitaGreat deals With: messiahofevil, Belt. xtchc1978, baddmann28, Overwhelmed987,OldGtrNovice,Ejendres and SlaveUnitWon't deal with: Bluesmann (counterfeit guitar fan)

Comment

• I have a quick technical question: how exactly do you use the tap tempo on the Floor POD (I did say earlier that I was a novice at this stuff).

Do you just tap the button a few times at the tempo you want? Or is there something I'm missing? I tried this approach and the results were surprising. Maybe, I just have to get used to the "feel" of it.

Thanks, KW
            MacBook Pro (2.6/4/10.5.1) : Logic Express 8 : M-Audio Axiom 25 : Stylus RMX : Zero-G Morphology : Guitars (Ibanez acoustic, Fender/Squire Strat) : Tenor (D) Steelpan

Comment

• Is this basicaly the same unit as the LINE 6 POD XT - LIVE

cept not a live version? Same effects etc?

BR

Comment

• Is this basicaly the same unit as the LINE 6 POD XT - LIVE

cept not a live version? Same effects etc?

BR

no - it's based on the POD 2.0, but in a floor thing...
                My Original Music:
                Goetic Circle
                Ashes of the Magician
                UNDEAD PRIEST

Comment

• so the effects displayed here by Craig are not in the Live version?

Dang, Well which one is better and newer..

Whcih do you rec?

thanks for your help

BR

Comment

• Blueraven,

go to www.line6.com and compare the specs. The PODxtLive has more of everything - more amp/speaker models, more effects, USB capability, so it costs more money ($399 retail). It's also based on new 'podxt' software.

The FloorPOD is based on older 'pod 2.0' software. Has far fewer amp/speaker/effects models, but can be easier to use as it's not as complicated. It's smaller, and it retails for $199.

At NAMM line6 have just introduced the FloorPODPlus - it's specs are right in-between the above units and so is the price, $299 retail.

Check out the harmony-central reviews of the PODxtLive and FloorPOD. It's up to you - do you need everything including the kitchen sink, or do you need something simple with a few good sounds, or does your budget pretty much dictate. Also check out units by Boss, Digitech, Korg, Zoom. Do your research. Listen to each one. It's not an area you can make a quick decision on.
                    "Stiny! Get me a danish!"

Comment

• Mud,

Yes i saw the new one at Line 6 and decided on it when it arrives in March. However, didnt notice the diffs.

Ill check that out.

Thanks

Comment

• Mudflaps -- excellent summary, couldn't have said it better myself.

Having had the chance to distance myself from the review for a bit, what with NAMM and all, I must say that all my initial impressions and comments in this review have held up. Sometimes after you use a piece of gear for a while, you find out some things that maybe weren't as cool as you thought, or some features you missed that are really cool. But the Floor POD "is what it is" -- basic, easy to use, limited, and with really good sounds. I must admit there have been times when despite having a bunch of very cool guitar gear around, I just plugged in the FP and wailed because it was just so easy to get going.
                        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• The thing that really struck me were your comments about the unit's ability to inspire. I have seen that firsthand. I am little more than a novice on the guitar, but the Floor POD has certainly taken my creativity up a notch. I understand it has it's limitations, but it seems perfect for where I am.

Actually, the "inspiration factor" was what surprised me the most about the Floor POD. What that tells me is that there is a real place for devices that have a very limited and optimized "skill set" (and I don't just mean in effects...that applies to software and all kinds of devices).

People often talk about how limiting one's options can improve creativity because you're not getting "lost in the features." But while that's true in theory, in practice it requires that those options be spot on -- because if you have limited options, they better all be good. I think that's probably the Floor POD's strongest point: The sounds hit a very high success ratio.

I'm glad there have been so many comments about how this thread has been useful in terms of making decisions. As a reviewer, I absolutely love this format as it allows the ability to describe gear in so much detail. And as I mentioned in the first post, this particular one has given me the chance to play lots of guitar
                          Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Well the Floor Pod is new. So maybe it has better sounds then the XT Live?

$ isnt a factor.

If the quality of the amp model sounds etc ARE the same in each one then I wld prob get the XT Live.

Also, I was noticing quite a few of the XT Live on ebay being sold. I wondered, why are all these units being sold?

And i wondered, are the newer models of the XT Live better than the earlier versions? Seemed many of the ones on Ebay were bhgt in early 2006.

Comment

• Well the Floor Pod is new. So maybe it has better sounds then the XT Live?

these tones are from the POD 2.0 - old(er) stuff re-packaged into a floor box.
                              My Original Music:
                              Goetic Circle
                              Ashes of the Magician
                              UNDEAD PRIEST

Comment

• Craig,

This is an awesome review -- objective, clear, and informative. I am a huge fan of your work and appreciate all of the time and patience you put into the reviews you do. Thanks.

. . .

But my one question lies in the tones the Floor Pod puts out in front of an amp. How does it sound in front of a combo with 12" speakers? How does it sound in the loop of a combo with 12" speakers? No one has really made a clear comment on this. This application, however, is a highly used one in the realm of floor processors.

Anyone's experience and feedback are appreciated.

Thanks.
                                "For as this appalling ocean surrounds the verdant land, so in the soul of man there lies one insular Tahiti, full of peace and joy, but encompassed by all the horrors of the half known life." -- from Moby Dick by H. Melville

Comment

Working...
                                X