Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BeowulfKingsley
    So you can't access either the tuner or the tap tempo from a footswitch? That's kind of dissapointing...I wonder why? Those are two things I'd really want to be able to use without hunching down onstage. The sounds all sound great, but that sort of limits its usefulness, in my opinion.

I think you step on two footswitches at the same time to get the tuner. Not sure about tap tempo, but I'm sure Craig will be back soon.
    "Stiny! Get me a danish!"

Comment

So you can't access either the tuner or the tap tempo from a footswitch?

I didn't find a way to do so, you need to hold down a button for the tuner and tap it for tempo. Right now I'm in Tokyo so I can't double-check, the Floor POD is back in the studio...but maybe someone from Line 6 can confirm how it works before I get home.
      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Several good questions have come up in this thread and as the product manager for this product, I’d like to chime in. I’ll start with a very general comment and then respond specifically to specific issues and questions that have come up in this thread.

What were we trying to do with this product?

We already make a POD on the floor that gives you a huge selection of latest generation amp and effect models that is super tweakable – that’s the PODxt Live. The goals for this product - Floor POD - were:

- great sound worthy of the POD name at half the price of PODxt Live
        - extremely obvious and easy to use interface
        - a wide range of tonal possibilities that stays musically usable at its extremes
        - instant tweakability from the top level

As Craig points out, in many cases this product’s easy to use interface comes at the expense of deep tweakability, but I believe the goals outlined above were good targets and this is a substantially differentiated product as a result. More specifics to follow...

Thanks,
        Mark

Comment

The knobs controlling MOD and DELAY/VERB are called “Smart Control FX” and are called this because each knob is actually sweeping through different parameters within each effect simultaneously. In creating these effects we wanted to give as much variety as possible on each knob while still trying to keep the range of sounds presented usable from the min to max position.

Comment

PODxt vs. POD 2.0 sounds

Using POD 2.0 technology for this product (as opposed to PODxt) allowed us to offer this at a much lower price point. It is also significant that the “old generation” of modeling used for Floor POD is still quite alive in Amp Farm and POD 2.0. Line 6 product developers and sound designers believe the PODxt/GearBox/Vetta technology is more realistic and nuanced, but POD 2.0 & Amp Farm have undeniable character and many of our customers even prefer this sound.

Tap & Tuner function button

Yes, it’s true that you need to press a button to get to tap tempo and tuner functionality. There are three footswitches and we’ve chosen to have two modes – and . We decided that these were more important to offer on dedicated footswitches than tap and tuner. Trying to make them work as “press two buttons at once” was not desirable because it opens a can of worms and has unintended consequences. I would assume you would want tap/tuner accessible in both preset and fx on/off mode. In order to make any “press two switches” function work, you have to make every footswitch that works this way perform its function on release rather than press. We tried this and believed it was unacceptable to have patch changes or FX on/off happen on release.

Craig – yes, the presets are meant to show the range of tones you can get from the unit. For myself, I prefer fairly straight ahead modeled amp sounds with a bit of compression and little or no other effects, but you wouldn’t get a sense of scope if the presets were tamed in that manner.

Telemike –– if you saw that you couldn’t get to Tremolo or Phaser sounds by turning the MOD knob, it sounds like there was something wrong with that unit. I have never seen a Floor POD do that or heard another report of this behavior, so I’d have to say it’s an unusual problem. I have also not seen the high pitched squeal described in the review you quoted.

Comment

Craig – you talk about plug-ins in an earlier post, mentioning Guitar Rig, Amplitube, and Waves GTR by name. Please note that Line 6 also offers an AU/VST (and soon to be RTAS) solution as well called “GearBox Plug-in.” It’s essentially a PODxt in a plug-in format that contains a selection of bass amp/cab and premium mic pre models as well. It is available in stores in two configurations – a Silver Bundle that has a “best of” the PODxt models (along with the mic pres and bass amps/cabs) and the Gold Bundle that has just about everything we have modeled for the flagship Vetta amp and Bass PODxt – about 100 amp and 100 effect models.

Thanks,
              Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Line 6 Mark
                PODxt vs. POD 2.0 sounds

Telemike –– if you saw that you couldn’t get to Tremolo or Phaser sounds by turning the MOD knob, it sounds like there was something wrong with that unit. I have never seen a Floor POD do that or heard another report of this behavior, so I’d have to say it’s an unusual problem. I have also not seen the high pitched squeal described in the review you quoted.

It must be adefecrtive unit then
                SE Systems, pro-audio dealer serving North Carolina

Comment

How would this thing work for bass guitar???
                  I play both 6 string electric guitar and 4 string electric bass....
                  Not at the same time obviously.....
                  And would love to have 1 box I could set up for both.....

Maybe a stupid question or idea but this is what I am looking for...
                  Medicated for Your Protection

Comment

Please note that Line 6 also offers an AU/VST (and soon to be RTAS) solution as well called “GearBox Plug-in.” It’s essentially a PODxt in a plug-in format that contains a selection of bass amp/cab and premium mic pre models as well. It is available in stores in two configurations – a Silver Bundle that has a “best of” the PODxt models (along with the mic pres and bass amps/cabs) and the Gold Bundle that has just about everything we have modeled for the flagship Vetta amp and Bass PODxt – about 100 amp and 100 effect models.

Yes! I just got a set to review for EQ magazine and I'm really looking forward to checking them out.

And thanks for "chiming in," Mark. It's one to say that I assume the idea behind the Floor POD was to offer POD technology at an affordable price, but it's another thing to have someone with the company confirm that was indeed the goal.

It's also comforting to know I'm not the only person who thinks the POD 2.0 has something unique to offer compared to the PODxt!!
                    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Okay, I've pretty much covered everything I planned to cover...but of course, if there's anything else you want (e.g., additional audio examples of specific features or presets), just let me know. This is an open-ended review, and additional comments/questions are always welcome.

After all the time I've spent with the Floor POD, I've come to several conclusions. A lot of these have been scattered throughout the thread, but let's put them together in one place.

First, it seems pretty clear to me there were three main design objectives with respect to the Floor POD:

* Don't cut corners on construction, it has to hold up to being stomped on.
                      * Trade off deep features (e.g., computer interface) for ease of use.
                      * Rather than have a huge variety of sounds, do a "greatest hits" where it's hard to find something that doesn't sound good.

And of course, it had be brought in for a reasonable price or no one would want to buy it

Overall, if those were indeed the objectives, they've been met. I was initially disappointed with the lack of options -- there are limited selections of amp models and effects -- but the more I worked with the Floor POD, the less concerned I became. What really did it for me was recording the audio examples with just the amp sounds (no effects, no compression, no nothing). It seemed pretty much impossible to get a bad sound. I liked some sounds more than others from a personal taste standpoint, but all of them were useful.

At that point, the effects became the "icing on the cake" rather than being essential to get a good sound. I'm of the "less is more" school of thought, and most of the time, if you pile on lots of effects your tone gets less distinct and your sound more homogenized. With the Floor POD, I ended up creating lots of presets with minimal effects -- a little tempo-synched delay here, a little reverb there. And I found them totally satisfying.

My main objections had to do with the user interface, not the sounds: Specifically, not being able to call up the tuner, or tap tempo, with the footswitches. That's definitely an inconvenience for live use. A secondary inconvenience is not being able to call up effects in any way other than stepping through sequentially. This I don't consider as serious, because I tend to use only a limited number of presets in any given tune anyway. It's not a big deal to go forward or backward a preset or two. And, there's a workaround: Hitting the "Dist" footswitch often let me do rhythm and lead sounds with the same basic preset.

One user interface thing I liked was the choice of secondary functions for the knobs. Its seems the knobs would cover 80% of the tweaks you wanted to make, and the secondary knob functions -- which you wouldn't have to access as often -- would cover the other 20%. I also really like the additional master volume trimpot on the back, as you can match the Floor POD levels to just about anything.

The RP250 has been mentioned several times in this thread as the main competition, and I did a fairly lengthy post comparing the two previously. There's no point in repeating it here but suffice it to say that the sounds and design philosophy are quite different. It seems to me that if someone really was careful about defining their needs, and had the chance to play both of them, they would gravitate naturally toward one or the other and not look back.

One other point I should bring up in fairness is that I was an "early adopter" of Line 6 gear -- the POD and Variax both answered real needs that I had. I've followed the updated versions, and I think the PODxt and Vetta are simply amazing. On the one hand, this could have to Line 6's advantage, because I tend to agree with their subjective decisions about sounds. But on the other hand, this was a little risky from their standpoint because I've heard the best and priciest things they can do, so it wouldn't be surprising if I didn't think much of the "little brother" by comparison.

As it turned out, though, the bottom line is that this is a very cost-effective box that delivers some really standout sounds. It's not a PODxt or PODxt Live, nor does it cost anywhere near as much...but the sound has the same pedigree, no question about it.

Perhaps the most telling point is that despite being "jaded," I had a blast doing this review and playing through the Floor POD. I actually looked forward each day to recording some new audio examples and frankly, some of the ones I didn't post will probably show up as loops on my next sample CD.

And I guess that pretty much sums it up. Any further questions? Any questions I missed? Let me know!

Comment

• Originally posted by MightyGerbil
                        How would this thing work for bass guitar???
                        I play both 6 string electric guitar and 4 string electric bass....
                        Not at the same time obviously.....
                        And would love to have 1 box I could set up for both.....

Maybe a stupid question or idea but this is what I am looking for...

me too!

Comment

• Well, you can use anything with bass, but IMHO the Floor POD is not optimized for bass -- in other words, the cabinets sound "tuned" for guitar, I don't think there are any emulated bass cabs in there. There's also no dedicated parametric EQ to really mess with (boost) the bass frequencies.

Wouldn't surprise me if Line 6 came out with a bass Floor POD at some point...might be worth waiting for that. Mark, any plans along those lines?

Comment

• kind of a noob question here...is there a way to switch off the power besides unplugging the ac adapter?

Comment

• Nope, other than a massive power outage

Comment

• Yeah, I own the Toneport, Gutarport and all the model packs save the bass, and Line 6 wants an outrageous $200 for vst functionality for those of us who have already made a considerable investment in a computer based system.

Just say NO and go with Amplitube 2.1 or Guitar Rig 2, neither of which has a dongle, are much more flexible and sound better. (That is, I can't use my model packs with both my Guitarport and Toneport, or any other Line 6 Product I choose (not) to purchase.)

In my NSHO, I feel like I've been baited and switched, and I will be working with my other AmpSims, since without vst functionality, my professional applications for Line 6 software are useless.

Now, I'm not frustrated with Line 6 or anything, but they certainly have taught me to avoid GAS attacks in a very real and personal way..... When I first bought into Line 6, I had really high hopes that it was a good investment - at the time it was, but I thought VST would be added as a simple technical upgrade (VST functionality is NOT rocket science - witness all the free vst's on the market, and the fact that it is de riguer with current amp sims)

If you REALLY like Line 6 sounds, go with them, but just be aware of the gotchas (which are NOT listed in the marketing hype)..... They are good, but not THAT good.....

Especially when compared with their competition (Amplitube 2.1, Guitar Rig 2)....

Originally posted by Line 6 Mark
                                PODxt vs. POD 2.0 sounds

Using POD 2.0 technology for this product (as opposed to PODxt) allowed us to offer this at a much lower price point. It is also significant that the “old generation” of modeling used for Floor POD is still quite alive in Amp Farm and POD 2.0. Line 6 product developers and sound designers believe the PODxt/GearBox/Vetta technology is more realistic and nuanced, but POD 2.0 & Amp Farm have undeniable character and many of our customers even prefer this sound.

Tap & Tuner function button

Yes, it’s true that you need to press a button to get to tap tempo and tuner functionality. There are three footswitches and we’ve chosen to have two modes – and . We decided that these were more important to offer on dedicated footswitches than tap and tuner. Trying to make them work as “press two buttons at once” was not desirable because it opens a can of worms and has unintended consequences. I would assume you would want tap/tuner accessible in both preset and fx on/off mode. In order to make any “press two switches” function work, you have to make every footswitch that works this way perform its function on release rather than press. We tried this and believed it was unacceptable to have patch changes or FX on/off happen on release.

Craig – yes, the presets are meant to show the range of tones you can get from the unit. For myself, I prefer fairly straight ahead modeled amp sounds with a bit of compression and little or no other effects, but you wouldn’t get a sense of scope if the presets were tamed in that manner.

"Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
                                http://www.flamencochuck.com

Comment

Working...
                                X