Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I then thought about setting up some more tests, but while I listening, my setup (which had been working just fine) stopped outputting audio. Curious...

Everything seemed in order: On the mixer's Record/Play page, the inputs were set to Digital In 1 Left and Digital In 1 Right, and the meters were indicating input signal. Okay. On the Output page, if I set the channels to the Record options (in other words, Digital In 1 Left and Digital In 1 Right), the inputs patched through to the outputs and all was well. But as soon as I switched the outputs to Play 1L and Play 1R, the meters went dead and so did the signal levels. Mute wasn't on, and the levels were up; everything seemed the same it had been before.

I checked the Aurora front panel, and the sample rate was correct; the Sync light was lit solid for Internal, which is what I had seleted on the Aurora and the AES16. "To Analog Out" was set to AES In, and "To Digital Out" was set to Analog In. What puzzled me more was that I was sure I had the same settings that had worked previously...so either I'm tired and there's pilot error, or I need to call tech support and see what I'm doing wrong...or maybe there's a hardware problem...or as so often happens in this computer-based world, maybe when I turn it on again in the morning everything will work as expected, and I'll never know why it didn't work!
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Hi Craig,

I wanted to mention a couple things from the test points so far:
      * The AES16 and Aurora 16 default settings should allow audio to pass to the Aurora Analog Outputs and from the Analog Inputs into the AES16. The Aurora default state is AES In to Analog Out, and Analog In to AES out.
      * The one parameter that does need to change from the defaults is the clock settings. Both the Aurora and AES16 will come up on Internal as the clock source. Like with any other two digital devices, it is important that one operate as a clock master and the other as a slave. For the purpose of your testing, I would suggest leaving the AES16 on Internal and set the Aurora to AES A. This way, you can test different sample rates without switching the Aurora to match. With our Synchrolock clocking system, it should make no relevant difference if the Aurora operates as a clock master or slave (it's referencing its own crystal either way).

The clocks being asynchronous will have a bearing on the listening test. Even though you didn't hear obvious clicks and pops (the Aurora digital receivers are extremely tolerant), the imaging and sound stage will be compromised.
      * It would be a shame to not run the tests that you prefer because of cables - I'll get you a "cable care package" ASAP.
      * When the system stopped outputting audio, you did the right thing by checking the Lynx Mixer first. If we don't see meter activity on the output page, then there's no reason to look downstream. The meters are informed by the hardware, so evidently the play stream is never getting to the outputs. I would suggest the following:
      1 - check the sample rate that the AES16 is reporting, and see if it matches the sample rate of the audio being played. If the Aurora and AES16 were operating independently clock-wise, its possible the Aurora was set to the right rate but the AES16 was not. Now the AES16 will switch automatically to the rate of the audio stream being played, but if some other process had hijacked the card or if "rate lock" got switched on, there could be a disparity there.
      2 - From the Lynx Mixer click File > Restore Defaults. Just in case a parameter got changed - this will get us back to a clean slate. If we're running the AES16 on its Internal clock then the default state should work perfectly for the situation.
      3 - I looked through our tech support knowledgbase and only found one incident that was similar to what you describe. In that case, the user had installed a newer driver version on top of a much older driver version and a clean uninstall/reinstall did the trick. Certainly doesn't sound like out problem here, but if the nothing else helps I would try removing the driver package with DesInstall Version 2, then reboot and install Build 42 again.

Standing by....

Paul Erlandson
      Lynx Studio Technology
      Director of Product Support

Comment

Okay folks, now we have an idea of how Lynx handles tech support

The sample rate things sounds like it's on the right trail, I'll be playing with this later tonight. The fact that everything worked perfectly at one point means all I have to do is find out what changed...

Thanks for your patience, you know how it is learning new gear!

Comment

My bag is live recording and my weapon of choice is a Core2 MacBook Pro. I am really hanging out for the Firewire card. The only pity is that audio gear is so damn expensive in Australia. The Aurora 16 is $5000! Quality is worth the price tho.
          http://www.davestergo.com

Comment

Well, one of the great things about a Pro Review is I get to embarrass myself in public!

I tried Paul's suggestions and still couldn't get it to work, so I called tech support. I waited on hold for about 25 minutes, but at 52 PM Pacific Time on a Friday, Paul himself answered. I ran down the symptoms and within about a minute, he said "Sounds like you're in dual wire mode" and suggested a couple button presses. Sure enough, I was, which suffice it to say was NOT where I wanted to be (we'll get into the whole dual wire thing later in the review). I have a DAT deck hanging over the front panel, and I must have hit a button while I powered off and powered on again.

Bottom line: I don't know the unit well enough to troubleshoot my own issues, but Lynx's tech support solved the problem and was helpful. Always a good thing to know.

Sure is nice having both channels back again I rewarded myself by playing a CD through the Lynx converters and I'm grooving on that right now.

BTW on the phone, Paul mentioned that there's an upcoming update that adds some things people have requested. Rather than try to summarize what he said, I suggested he just post it here...so Paul, when you get a chance, give us the scoop on Upcoming Stuff.

Comment

Craig,

I'm glad we were able to get that resolved - nothing worse than starting the weekend with gear woes.

So I did want to put the word out about the new drivers and firmware for the AES16 that will be released within the next two weeks. There are a number of juicy enhancements:
              1) We will now support up to 10 sources per output for zero latency hardware monitoring at sample rates up to 96k. Windows users that use ASIO Direct Monitoring will even be able to get up to 22 sources per output at 44.1/48k. There has been quite a clamor for this capability so I'm very pleased that it's about done (I did a session last weekend using ASIO Direct Monitoring for 16 input channels poured into 2 and it worked beautifully).
              2) The AES16 will now support multi-channel interleaved playback, so you can play 5.1 or 7.1 encoded material through the AES16 outputs.
              3) Some PC ASIO users had trouble with the PCI instruction updates that were in the last two firmware revisions, even though for most users these changes really improve PCI bus efficiency. The new driver will make these instructions optional.
              4) Full fledged 32-bit and 64-bit Vista support (although, for Pro Audio you might want to hold off on Vista for a bit...).

Have a great weekend!

Paul Erlandson
              Lynx Studio Technology

Comment

...although, for Pro Audio you might want to hold off on Vista for a bit

Hey Paul! Not to hijack a thread about your own product or anything ,but do you have some inside info on Vista that we need to know about?

Comment

ARGh! Converters, converters.

I'm currently all wrapped up with upgrading my AD. I recently bought a Lavry DA10 for the monitoring chain and I'm VERY happy with that. Been looking at the Blue series or the Myteks for AD. Now along comes this thing. Argh!

I'm curious how it works standalone. I'd be using it (if I buy) with the LT-ADAT option and pushing 8 channels into a Traveler's ADAT input so I wouldn't be using an AES card.

Questions for any Lynx rep who may be lurking:

1. Where is the 8 ch AD (without the DA) using the same converters? Everyone (including me) doesn't need the DA. Honestly, if there was a 8 ch AD version without the DA and with ADAT out I'd pay $1500 for it. Slap a LT-ADAT in one, disable or remove the onboard DA (and the rear connectors and the midi functionality if you like) and call me. I have a credit card waiting for you.

Note: The above assumes that the converters are as close to the high end models as many claim, or just immediately better than the RME's of the world.

2. Where is the standalone 2 ch Aurora? Many people who can't affored $2k might easily blow $600 on a stereo unit.

3. If your new converter's are so good (as many say and I believe) then why have you limited your market so severly? See questions 1 & 2. I can't believe these questions didn't come up during R&D.

Craig, you need some Apogee, Lavry and Myteks in there for comparison though as people looking to step up from MOTU / RME need a frame of reference and a cost/benefit analysis of where these fall in between. Unless they are immediately head and shoulders above those types of units (the MOTU's and RME's) AD/DA many might choose the additional expense of (and fewer channels of) a two channel unit like a Lavry or Mytek or Apogee.

Frankly I'd like to see a direct comparison with the converters in a Mackie 800r.

Thanks. Looking forward to the review.

Comment

do you have some inside info on Vista that we need to know about
                    Craig,
                    Vista will work just fine if you are only using ASIO, since that bypasses everything Microsoft. If you do use the WDM driver (MME/DirectSound/Direct Kernel Streaming), then you are forced to use Microsoft components, and there are some new limitations with Vista.

The biggest problem at the moment revolves around sample rate support with Vista. Vista wants to be in complete control of the sample rate. That means that any application that used to set the sample rate by itself (CoolEdit Pro comes to mind), can no longer do so. The user must manually set the sample rate in the Audio Control Panel for the device in use. This also means that if you are clocking externally, as soon as the external sample rate changes you must also go into the Audio Control Panel and set the same rate there, otherwise you will not get audio. Some audio cards may get around this limitation with a driver rewrite (the code changes required are not easy), while others may decide that pro audio users really will just use ASIO and leave it at that.

Another issue has to do with device naming. Microsoft completely changed where the device names come from, and Vista the names of the devices by itself (with XP, the driver had complete control over how devices were named). This presents an interesting issue when dealing with a pro audio card that is also used for high-end home theater applications. To allow multi-channel playback for DVDs, the device must be named "Speakers" otherwise Vista simply won't present the Speaker Configuration to let the user select how many speakers they have. In a multi-card configuration, you end up with multiple devices all named "Speakers" which can be confusing to the user.

Hopefully Microsoft will look at some of these issues by the time Service Pack 1 is released.

Thank you,

David A. Hoatson
                    Lynx Studio Technology, Inc.
                    Co-founder, Chief Software Architect

Comment

Lawrence,

Thanks for the feedback. All points duly noted.

3. If your new converter's are so good (as many say and I believe) then why have you limited your market so severly? See questions 1 & 2. I can't believe these questions didn't come up during R&D.

Well - the first priority was to offer enough interfacing options for the Auroras, so we've put out the PT|HD, ADAT amd LynxTWO interfaces, and will be releasing the FireWire Interface next month. Thanks again for the feedback.

Paul Erlandson
                      Lynx Studio Technology

Comment

Great information on Vista, David -- thank you!

Comment

Well - the first priority was to offer enough interfacing options for the Auroras, so we've put out the PT|HD, ADAT amd LynxTWO interfaces, and will be releasing the FireWire Interface next month. Thanks again for the feedback.

Paul Erlandson
                          Lynx Studio Technology

Thanks Paul. The process of choosing AD converters is daunting. I want this next step to be my last quality step, I don't want to be upgrading converters again in 2 years. With the recent addition of the Lavry DA10 I can now hear exactly what my Traveler AD sounds like. It's actually pretty good for the money but I know I need better. I'm 'a lookin'.

Looking forward to a spirited review of the Aurora... and maybe a 4 channel version without the DA? Hint ....

Comment

Craig,
                            Vista will work just fine if you are only using ASIO, since that bypasses everything Microsoft. If you do use the WDM driver (MME/DirectSound/Direct Kernel Streaming), then you are forced to use Microsoft components, and there are some new limitations with Vista.

The biggest problem at the moment revolves around sample rate support with Vista. Vista wants to be in complete control of the sample rate. That means that any application that used to set the sample rate by itself (CoolEdit Pro comes to mind), can no longer do so. The user must manually set the sample rate in the Audio Control Panel for the device in use.

wow, that was one of the NICE things about XP was the ability to change the sample rate on the fly in the application... nice step back they took on that one.

Comment

As Paul was kind enough to send me a cable with AES/EBU XLR ins and outs, I thought I'd take a brief detour from computer-land and check out the Aurora 8 as a "replacement" converter for an existing, older converter - like the one in my TASCAM DA-30. I picked the DA-30 because it had, at least for that time, decent converters compared to what you found in consumer CD players and such. The source material was 16-bit, so even though the Lynx does a lot better than that, there was a level playing field.

I decided to run my first test as follows: DA-30 AES/EBU out to Lynx AES/EBU in, Lynx Analog out to DA7 mixer. Simultaneously, I ran the DA-30 balanced audio outs directly to the DA7's inputs.

But wait, you say: That's pretty dumb, because you're sending BOTH signals through the DA7's A/D and D/A converters, which one would think would tend to obscure any subtle benefits brought forth by the Aurora. But I'll do a test that bypasses the DA7 and goes directly to the monitor speakers next; the whole point of this first test was that I was curious whether any changes would indeed make it through another stage of A/D and D/A conversions.

Furthermore, D/A conversion has the reputation of being the "easy" conversion as opposed to A/D. So in theory, there shouldn't be a huge difference between the Aurora and the "old school" converter, given the various constraints.

Comment

I should probably mention that in terms of sending signals from point A to point B, it's really pretty obvious. There's a switch for selecting what goes to the Analog Out, and what goes to the Digital Out, as shown in the picture.

For this particular application, I wanted to send the AES In (from the DA-30 output) to the Lynx Analog out. Looking at the switch, there are three LEDs for the three choices, and you just hit the switch until the right one lights up.

As I wasn't using the digital outs, I didn't care about that a whole lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X