Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They made Bases too. My bass player back in high school had one in the 70s. It played and sounded like a dream.
    I recently bought a Flying V plexiglass body guitar by Grand off the internet. After changing pickups and tuners and proper setup it plays great.
    As far as sound goes it has a different tone than wood does, Its kind of a generic tone. Plastic?. Other than the neck, it doesnt respond to resonation from the amp speakers as easily either. It takes alot more volume to get that kind of feedback going.

Comment

What ever happened to this reveiw?

I personally miss, Miss Lee Flier.
      good deals with: nearly everyone.
      Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

I first saw Greg Ginn of Black Flag using these. I figured it was a gimmick or a cheap guitar,but quickly learned that the Dan Armstrong was his number one. I later got to play a used one at a GC that was showing cracks in the plexiglass around the neck bolts. The salesperson said that cracking like that was common and wouldn't effect the guitar at all. Being unsure of this, I left it in the store. Interesting guitar. It was the Dan Amrstrongs that led me to buy one of the BC Rich plexiglass Mockingbirds when they first came out, in my search for a similar tone for less scratch. I'd like to hear how the new ones sound with the higher output 'rock humbuckers' in place.

Comment

(snip)I later got to play a used one at a GC that was showing cracks in the plexiglass around the neck bolts. The salesperson said that cracking like that was common and wouldn't effect the guitar at all.(snip)

It's info like this that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a Dan Armstrong.

Comment

I have a bass (1970) which I bought in 1980. My older brother had gone to college with a guy who had one along with a V4B. Told me that if I ever saw one...buy it immediately! That day came, and I did. No regrets whatsoever. It's a little beat up...someone played it left handed for a while (there are fingernail polish position dots painted on the "underside" edge of the neck), and the pickguard broke where the jack is (probably the most common thing to find broken on DAs), but my local repair guy made a rosewood shim and made it look nice.

It's certainly not my main bass, but I do use it. Intonation is not perfect, but close enough. That thin, fast neck is almost too easy to play.
            Drums:
            PDP CX 12-14-22, Pork Pie Big Black Snare
            Sabian 13” AA Fusion Hats, A Zildjian 21” Rock Ride
            Sabian HH 16” Med-thin Crash, Supernatural Prodigy Pro 17” Crash
            Axis X2 Double Pedal
            Vic Firth American Classic 5A Nylon
            Bass gear:
            Zon Sonus V, Warmoth jazz, '70 Ampeg Dan Armstrong, '62 Fender Jazz fretless, '95 Gibson Les Paul
            Alembic F1-X, dbx 266XL, Korg DTR-2, Funk Logic DD-301, QSC PLX1602, GK MB Fusion 800, Eden D210XLT & D210XST

Comment

I have a 2006 RI, which I bought after playing one at NAMM here in July 2006 and a 1970 original. Here's my '06:

Ampeg nailed the original and actually improved upon it with the RI. I got my original from Gruhn Guitars in April 1991 after lusting after one since first seeing Keith wield his in "Gimme Shelter" as a kid in the '70s. My '70 is an amazing guitar, but the new one is slightly better. This is how all re-issue guitars should be made! And yes, the case for the RI is awesome. The Ampeg Dan Armstrong remains my fave electric guitar of all time.
              Guitars: Ampeg Dan Armstrongs, Fender Telecasters, Stratocasters, Epiphone Les Paul, G-400, EG-1275, Dots, Gibson SG, Squier Stratocasters, Telecasters, OLP MM1s, etc.Amps: Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50/1960A, Ampeg VL-502/VLA, Music Man HD150 212, etc.Effects: Vox ToneLab SE, etc.Influences: Keith Richards, Mick Taylor, Ronnie Wood, Paul Kantner, Eric Clapton, Rich Robinson, Jimmy Page, Pete Townshend, The Edge, etc.

Comment

I have a 2006 RI, which I bought after playing one at NAMM here in July 2006 and a 1970 original. Here's my '06:

Ampeg nailed the original and actually improved upon it with the RI. I got my original from Gruhn Guitars in April 1991 after lusting after one since first seeing Keith wield his in "Gimme Shelter" as a kid in the '70s. My '70 is an amazing guitar, but the new one is slightly better. This is how all re-issue guitars should be made! And yes, the case for the RI is awesome. The Ampeg Dan Armstrong remains my fave electric guitar of all time.

If you're gonna bump an old thread this exactly the way to do it. Excellent distraction for a Saturday night. Bravo.

Comment

I'm hoping Lee let's me play her dan, and her vintage lp.

Hopfully I learn something too.......atlanta '08
                  good deals with: nearly everyone.
                  Previous Moniker tiles: JoshuaTSP, Science! & GAS KING

Comment

That is a beautiful guitar. Great review as well.

Comment

great review so far!!!

go on and please post some pictures of it!

hw des it compare tonewise to the original

Seriously? The original post is 2 years old.

Comment

WTF ever happened to Miss Lee and the conclusion to this review.
                        American Standard Deluxe Tele BB
                        B&W Zoot SG
                        S6

Comment

And another bump from another ADA6 user

I've seen those pickup wiring schematics up here and wondered if any one has an experience with modding the bandpass effect for a less subtle sound?

cheers!
                          RODHA sludge, metal, hc

Comment

I just ordered one and can't wait to get it!
                            DAN ARMSTRONG ADA6 PLEXI
                            EHX DOUBLE MUFF >> EHX BIG MUFF USA >> EHX SMALL STONE >> CRYBABY LTD WAH >>
                            '65 FENDER BASSMAN w/ VIBRO KING CAB

SPAM: QZ-1, Blue Box, & Phase 100, Wylde Wah, & JH-3S Octave Fuzz
                            http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4&postcount=49

Comment

Sorry for the bump but I wonder if anyone could answer a question for me.

The one I ordered last May came with a busted toggle switch and I had to send it back.

Fast forward to now, and I was able to get another ADA6 at a price I couldn't pass up.

Here's the question.

The first ADA6 came with the standard Rosewood / Brass Saddle bridge and the one I just got has the Chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge. And it still has the Rosewood pickguard.

When did Ampeg make the switch and are there tonal differences between the two?
                              DAN ARMSTRONG ADA6 PLEXI
                              EHX DOUBLE MUFF >> EHX BIG MUFF USA >> EHX SMALL STONE >> CRYBABY LTD WAH >>
                              '65 FENDER BASSMAN w/ VIBRO KING CAB

SPAM: QZ-1, Blue Box, & Phase 100, Wylde Wah, & JH-3S Octave Fuzz
                              http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4&postcount=49

Comment

Hi J.D.
                                I bought mine last november and it when I looked for it back then some dealers still had the Rosewood equiped ones, I found one dealer that had the Roller bridge and snapped it right away. No dealer was fully sure what Ampeg / the distributor planned about that, they could not choose to order either one, got some of random batches it seems.

If you have both versions, can't you tell the difference first hand? I'd be very curious for this answer aswell.

Cheers
                                RODHA sludge, metal, hc

Comment

Working...
                                X