Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is cool !

I had been making my own with E drums and a Boss Dr. Saving the tracks to sep files to be composed later. Takes a long time to assemble something individually. This may save me the work!! thx for the review Craig!

Comment

This is cool !

I had been making my own with E drums and a Boss Dr. Saving the tracks to sep files to be composed later. Takes a long time to assemble something individually. This may save me the work!! thx for the review Craig!

You're very welcome! Doing a sample library as a Pro Review is something we haven't tried before, but it seems to be working well. I will say that as a user, the DD stuff is uniformly great, both in terms of sound quality and performances. I think their "secret sauce," aside from the multitrack aspect, is that there are enough variations included so you don't get that dreaded "cookie cutter loops" issue. You can make parts that really "breathe."
      N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Calling Discrete Drums people...as I'm listening to these samples, I gotta say I'm really impressed with the room sound loops. If it wouldn't be giving away any trade secrets, could you describe a bit about the room you used, and the miking?

I really like this Pro Review. I really want to know what kind of drums they were using, especially the bass drum. That dry sound is the perfect mix of tight and fat. Tasty.

When the room kicks in, I think it almost has a certain artificial sound to it. Not bad, I just hear a bit of ring that is almost sounds like a plate or something similar. It's big (maybe more deep than big), but it has a lot of slap to it. I'd guess two verbs, maybe. Or the room, enhanced with some early reflections.
        It is a cool room sound. It has a big Led type thing, with a bit of Beasties trash thrown in to balance out the equation.

I do like the examples posted so far. I could get serious results with a library like this. I'm going to take a closer look at DD's website and see what's on offer.
        RIP: Nite Owl Jazz

Comment

The room sounds are genuine room sounds, any ringing you hear is from the room itself. Do note, though, that I messed with the room sounds in some examples (transposition). I noted these in the text.

I'm working on some more examples right now
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

Before bidding adieu to the project in Heavy Mental Disc 1, here's a real-world example of using the library.

I just finished writing a review of the HD.6X-PRO (also known as the Les Paul Digital Guitar) for EQ magazine, and wanted an audio example of what it sounded like. So I cranked up a DD loop, and laid down some sounds with the guitar...here are the results. And yes, that's just one guitar and one drum loop...

Comment

Here's a fun one...I took the Bridge files from Brain Matter (Disc 2 in the Heavy Mental series), and wanted to show how much you can twist the multitrack files with signal processing.

The first four measures have the following tracks:

Kick
              Overhead
              Room
              Snare

The second four measures have the same tracks, but with the following processing:

Kick - PSP Vintage Warmer set for serious crunch
              Overhead - Pluggo HF Ring Mod, automated so its frequency falls over a two-measure duration
              Room - Reversed using Sonar's DSP
              Snare - Processed with two Project5 plug-ins, Tempo Delay and ModFilter. A parallel snare track goes through Sonar's Vintage Channel plug-in, with noise gating to maintain just the snare "crack," and a little bit of EQ.

As you'll hear, you can really mess with the sound thanks to the multitrack approach.

Comment

OOOoooo... that's was pretty sweet. I'm starting to like this more and more. I've never considered multitrack sample discs before, until now.

Comment

Hi,

This is great that you just did this review as I just started to look at this sample library. I have so many drum libraries and programs but have come back to using loops as the best for rock and the most efficient for my limited time. I am a weekend warrior with this stuff...

Now for this library, I would mostly be interested in using stereo loops because I don't have much time to mix things, but I do have a pretty sweet setup for myself to mix them on (I have a Tascam DM24 that I pipe all the digital audio to and have a ton of outboard)....

The drawback to the stereo loops looks like I can't change the tempo. They don't have Rex support.

So.... if my main workflow is usually using Cubase SX and Stylus RMX to record, what package of Heavy Mental Drums should I go for? My go to drums now are Drums on Demand.

I don't think any of the bundles that they offer will allow me to change the tempo in my setup, but maybe if there are so many files, I can find something close enough..

Also I have the long term goal of creating a record, so maybe I should go for the whole package and be able to mix the drums to taste at a later time, but use the pre-mixed loops as a starting point.

What do you think? How limiting is it that you can't change the tempo?

The pros of this library look like the sound and the massive amount of loops, and the style! Finally a really good rock library

The biggest con to me seems to be the ability to change tempo. Not sure how good cubase is at beat detection of the stereo loops...

Thanks much...
                  Jon

Comment

Well I decided just to go for the whole super pro bundle. I figure that will be really helpful to have everything. I can't wait! I have battery and kontakt so it will be cool to be able to trigger the samples in those programs. and create some electronic derivations of the beats to mix in my songs. Also, changing the room ambiance really is key for different songs.

I guess if I need to change the tempo I can always base the slicing off of the snare or hi hat track now.

Question: Are the separate tracks in stereo? Or is a track like the snare in mono, and you have to pan it manually? If I have to pan it, do I have any idea of where it was in relation to the other drums?

Anyway, I hope this rocks... I already have almost every other program / library.

Cheers,
                    Jon

Comment

If anyone is interested, Cubase SX 3.0 Warp feature works great with adjusting the tempo these loops. These loops rock hard...definitely get the super pro bundle if you can swing it. I'm a hard rock guy and these loops deliver.

I basically use the stereo loops to get some ideas down, then can use the multi track loops after I have something I like. I can copy all of the multi track loops in one swoop into Cubase. Then I can set the original tempo for all the loops, then turn on audio warp (with the drum setting) and the loops tempo is now the tempo that cubase is in. I just choose the loop closest to the bpm I need and then warp to taste.

Fantastic!
                      Jon

Comment

Apologies for letting this thread slack off...as explained in the Live Pro Review, between getting stranded on the East Coast prior to Messe due to snow storms shutting down the airlines, to getting ready for Messe, then going to Messe, and now getting sick upon returning, I'm functioning at waaaay below capacity. This thread will ramp back up as soon as my fever goes down.

Comment

If anyone is interested, Cubase SX 3.0 Warp feature works great with adjusting the tempo these loops. These loops rock hard...definitely get the super pro bundle if you can swing it. I'm a hard rock guy and these loops deliver.

Indeed. But one thing I'd add is that the loops aren't super-processed so you can definitely put your own stamp on them if you want. What makes them "rock hard" is that they're superbly recorded, but in a neutral way. The lack of built-in processing gives me a lot more options.

I basically use the stereo loops to get some ideas down, then can use the multi track loops after I have something I like. I can copy all of the multi track loops in one swoop into Cubase. Then I can set the original tempo for all the loops, then turn on audio warp (with the drum setting) and the loops tempo is now the tempo that cubase is in. I just choose the loop closest to the bpm I need and then warp to taste. Fantastic!

That's a great way to work. I also use the audio CDs a lot just to remind myself what's on there so when I want to add a part, I can do so easily.

Also on the subject of warping, because the drums are on individual tracks, it's exceptionally easy to convert them to REX file format loops. One advantage of using this approach is that because there's no significant DSP applied, the fidelity remains exceptional.

I will also try to warp some of the DD loops using Sonar's AudioSnap feature and report back on the results.

Comment

I'm currently reviewing the Gibson HD.6X-PRO (the official name for the "Les Paul digital guitar") for the Harmony Central newsletter, and of course, needed some audio examples. And of course these needed drum parts, so I pulled out some of the two-track files from Heavy Mental.

This example uses the stock files, with one exception: I added the four successive snare drum hits by copying one snare and pasting it in place multiple times. It's amazing how that one little change makes a big difference in the overall effectiveness of the part.

Comment

There are also some projects with fairly straightahead parts, should you need them. For example, this more laid-back, basic drum part fit really well behind some chorus+delay guitar playing.

Comment

This isn't as light as the previous example, nor as heavy as some other ones...sort of a nice space in between. However, remember that most projects also include several variations, including parts that really "bash." When added along with something like this file, you can alter the character pretty easily.

Comment

Working...
                                X