Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live 6 is working great for me. Haven't had a single crash and use it extensively in performance situations.

...made the switch from 5 after Armin Van Buuren recommended to it me. He told me he loved it. Does all his music from his laptop now...with just Logic and Live.
    Myshell Nukina
    http://www.nukina.ca
    http://www.djmyshell.com

Comment

Why? What will I lose if I use Live instead of another program?

Well, for me, Live is best used to create an individual groove that then becomes part of a larger piece of music. If you standardly work in only bars of 4/4, and you also do not write to video, then staying in Live will probably be fine.
      For me, I often write to picture (at 29.97 fps), which Live only sort-of supports. Also, even when I'm not writing to picture, sometimes I like to have a bar of 2/4. While you could do that in Live, it is more convenient to do in a full DAW software package.

To me, Live is an EXCELLENT co-application to my DAW. Live is fast and easy to create grooves with, and that makes it a beautiful app when paired with a full-featured DAW, since it is great at the very things my DAW software is lacking.

Comment

To me, Live is an EXCELLENT co-application to my DAW. Live is fast and easy to create grooves with, and that makes it a beautiful app when paired with a full-featured DAW, since it is great at the very things my DAW software is lacking.

...all the more reason why it's great ReWire exists!
        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I understand that Live's tempo and pitch stretching algorithms involve compromises between sound quality and resource-saving. But when making DJ mix CDs, for example, it would be nice to have an "off-line" algorithm that would only go for pristine sound quality. Actually, it would not only be "nice", it would be just what one would expect from a professional DJ tool.
          www.myspace.com/dj10101

Comment

Also, it would be nice to have playlists. This is simply essential for DJs (and mere folders won't do because there are multiple sort criteria, so it needs to be an XML library file - like iTunes and Adobe Lightroom), but producers and others should welcome it as well as it would enable flexible sorting of clips.

Any comments from Ableton on these two suggestions?
            www.myspace.com/dj10101

Comment

I just ran into a problem in Live on the PC that I did NOT experience with the exact same setup in Live on the Mac.

Here's the scenario:
              A Reason DrRex track is needed. Live 6 is invoked and Reason 3 is rewired into Live 6.
              Rather than keep the sequence in Reason, I write the MIDI track to disk from Reason and import the MIDI track into Live 6 by dumping the MIDI file onto a session view track. The reason I do it this way is so I can fool around with the MIDI in Live.
              On the Mac, this works great. On the PC, the playback stuttered drastically. I searched through the support areas of propellerheads and ableton and I found no issues related to this. Finally, after a lot of guessing, I decided to turn off multiprocessor support in Live even though I'm running on a Core 2 duo processor. I figured maybe it would help since there are 2 processes which could logically run on different processors. Well, this DID FIX IT.
              I still don't get it though. On my Mac, the multiprocessor support is enabled, and no similar problem exists. My PC is a much more powerful machine than the Mac, so it doesn't make sense to me.

Anyone here know why this might be the case?

Comment

...all the more reason why it's great ReWire exists!

Um. Actually, NO. Live disables all its plug-ins when it runs as a rewire slave. At least for me, that means I don't use Live as a rewire slave.

Enabling plug-ins when running as a rewire slave is a big wish-list item for me.

Comment

Um. Actually, NO. Live disables all its plug-ins when it runs as a rewire slave. At least for me, that means I don't use Live as a rewire slave.

Enabling plug-ins when running as a rewire slave is a big wish-list item for me.

Wow, That is a biggee. I haven't decided on what SEQ app to pair up with Live for rewire, yet. Glad I learned about this before I made any purchases. I guess you'll have to render any effects first..... meh

Comment

Wow, That is a biggee. I haven't decided on what SEQ app to pair up with Live for rewire, yet. Glad I learned about this before I made any purchases. I guess you'll have to render any effects first..... meh

Yeah, well it might not be Ableton's fault. As far as I know, there aren't any programs that run plug-ins while running as a rewire slave. Maybe it is part of the propellerheads rewire specification. I don't know.
                    A really crummy workaround is to save all the effects as presets and then instantiate them from the presets in a different application later.

Comment

• As far as I know, there aren't any programs that run plug-ins while running as a rewire slave. Maybe it is part of the propellerheads rewire specification. I don't know.

I would be very surprised if Ableton did not add such functionality into Live 7. But right now...Project 5 definitely can host DX/DXi and VST/VSTi as a rewire host or slave.

http://www.project5.com
                      http://www.thepassionofthechrist.com/splash.htm

Comment

• I think the reasoning is that as you're basically using ReWire with a slave to feed raw audio in a host, that you would use plug-ins in the host. Of course, the "Achilles Heel" of that approach is what happens if the ReWire slave was proprietary plug-ins that have no other equivalent? Still, for my purposes, being able to treat live as a loop generator for use with other programs has turned out to be pretty useful.
                        Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• Still, for my purposes, being able to treat live as a loop generator for use with other programs has turned out to be pretty useful.

I personally don't like that approach because it means you have to START the whole process with both programs going. The thing I love about Reason is that you can start working on a loop or other chunk of music with ONLY Reason running, and then run Reason as a slave later without changing anything.

Comment

• LOG ONTO OUR WEBSITE TO RECIEVE FREE TICKETS TO UPCOMING CONCERTS HAPPENING IN SAN DIEGO!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT & KEEP LISTENING FOR YOUR FAVORITE ARTIST. WE ARE HEARD LIVE AROUND THE WORLD! ALWAYS TAKING REQUESTS & HAVE LIVE INTERVIEWS IN OUR STUDIO ALL THE TIME., www.X1FMRADIO.COM

Comment

• has anyone tried 'elastic time' in pro tools?

how does it compare to live???
                              Myshell Nukina
                              http://www.nukina.ca
                              http://www.djmyshell.com

Comment

• I'm fairly new to Live 6 and I have pretty much an entire song recorded in it. It was really easy to lay down all the tracks and edit what needed to be edited. The problem is the song is over 20 tracks long and when I hit play the sound cuts out and cuts in later in the song. The CPU overload light is going off and it is frustrating the crap out of me. I have an Hp desktop with XP Pro, 3 Ghz P4, 1 GB of RAM(I know I should up to 2), and a line 6 toneport for inputing. I've tried backing up all my data and completely restoring to factory settings and reinstalling everything and get the same problem. When there is only a few tracks playing it doesn't happen as often, but when I have a VST like EZDrummer running it doesn't like to cooperate. I've gotten rid of all the tracks that I didn't need anymore and deactivated all the VSTs after mixing down to another track and it still won't play straight through without skipping and cutting out.

Should I be editing all the empty areas out of all the tracks or should I group and mix down similar tracks to 1 or 2 tracks, I really don't want to do that should I want to make another mix of the song.

I have a digital 16 track recorder and I moved to PC recording so I could escape the confines of 16 tracks and mixing down tracks to free up additional tracks. Somebody please tell me I made a good choice in switching to PC recording. Keep in mind that I have NO money to spend on a new computer or a better processor at this time and probably not for a while. I just want to know of an easy fix to this problem.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X