X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markman -

The only pity I could have here is for the fact, that driver-programming in general is apparently more than that programmer is able to handle. But this is not the fault of Microsoft or the user.

If you knew anything about programming either applications and/or drivers, you would know that it is completely impossible to take all the permutations of computer hardware/software into consideration, you try and get it to work on as much hardware/software you can get your hands on in the test fase.
    I was a project manager on a large application development, where we needed the excact same specifications on the pc in 68 different companies, we bought all the PC's installed all OS and additional software, we then installed the PC's in all 68 companies, and connected remotely to install this new software, on at least 10 machines our software would not run, so we called them in and after a month we found out that the pc producer did not keep to their own specifications, so the 10 machines where wrong.
    When you then take into consideration, that almost no software developers sticks to Microsofts guidelines in how to make sure 3'rd party software runs under windows, then maybe you can begin to understand that it is not just a walk in the park.

Cheers
    Mike
    P.S. Again sorry for the long rant, but I really think it is a shame that people are not willing to at least try and sort out their problem!
    <div class="signaturecontainer">Cheers<br />
    Mike<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://io.nixion.net/index.php" target="_blank">http://io.nixion.net/index.php</a></div>

Comment

• You are using empty phrases without even trying to read.

How comes you always repeat I wouldn't "try what's being suggested"?!?
      The bugs I posted are mostly independant of "PC-permutations" but are obvious concept-flaws. :bor:

after all It was me that together with Tech support got that problem sorted out

So, whats your point ...?
      By the way, it does not take a month to include the reading of a system-variable.
      => Problem not solved.
      Maybe you have fun to play debugger, but there are people out there who actually want to use this already over 1 year old interface.

but that it had no effect on the usability it was only a wrongly displayed number, so what's the big deal that is not creating your clicks and pops

So you are really shure about that ?! Tell me why ! :blah:

then maybe you can begin to understand that it is not just a walk in the park.

Maybe you can begin to actually read the posts you are replying to. I already said "it's not a matter of course."

Comment

• Markman - You are so set in your way of thinking, that it doesn't matter what any one says, so why do you keep posting here!?!
        Why are you so angry with me that you have to keep insulting me, as far as I'm aware I have a no poit insulted you?

Maybe you can begin to actually read the posts you are replying to. I already said "it's not a matter of course."

I have indeed and I can't see "it's not a matter of course." any where, but what I do see is that every time you don't like the answers you start to get personal and insulting, that way you're never getting your problems solved.

But if you are so sure that your system is up to the task, why don't you go and find a friedn with a new PC like a core2 duo or something like that, and then try out your interface, you might leran something new.

Cheers
        Mike
        Mike<br />
        <br />
        <br />
        <a href="http://io.nixion.net/index.php" target="_blank">http://io.nixion.net/index.php</a></div>

Comment

• So the "users fault" is that he has to dig around in his Registry because the programmer does not know what a system-variable is ?!

Speaking of not reading what was written...I said "the sooner you alert a company to a problem, the sooner they can fix it (or advise you what you are doing wrong)"

Yet you only seemed to pick up on the "what you are doing wrong" part. The fact is that not all problems are due to manufacturer issues, there are problems due to "pilot error." It seems only fair to point out that there are multiple reasons why something might not work.

And sometimes, of course, there are even OTHER sources of problems...like in the RME forum, where the company claimed that the reason for bad FireWire performance with some Macs is because Apple cheaped out and ended up using a FireWire chip that cost half the price of the one they had been using. Interface company's fault? No. User error? No.
          There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Wow, this is getting really silly.

Mike:
            I have indeed and I can't see "it's not a matter of course." any where

Thats what I'm saying , look here:
            Why for example is RME able to make Firewire reliable, they are aware that secure Firewire datastreams are not a "matter of course", and adressed it with success.

Maybe you now may be beginning to begin to think (it over), before posting ?

It's funny when someone states that for example the wish to use S/PDIF is "pulling out insignificant issues" when this someone didn't even try to use S/PDIF. Or finds it "insignificant" to want a volume control that works as can be expected. And finds it a good "solution" to carry an additional mixer around...

And please, don't reflect your own problems on other people, I am sure that I don't need your instructions for behaviour.
            I already said it before: Don't take it all too personal...

This is absolutely Kindergarden.

Comment

• ...like in the RME forum, where the company claimed that the reason for bad FireWire performance with some Macs is because Apple cheaped out and ended up using a FireWire chip that cost half the price of the one they had been using. Interface company's fault? No. User error? No.

This is what I referred to as "exotic chipset", thats a whole other story than a interface that does not work with STANDARDS.

I am very happy that I made the decision to never buy a mac as long as it is possible.

Comment

• Achord - I am sorry mate, but I am not sure I understand you correctly.

1 - Your device is supposed to come with a CD with the drivers, the first you should do is to install that.
                Note - Make sure your IO26 is not installed while installing the drivers!!!

2 - If you then need to update your driver and firmware which I recommend, then you need to sort out your download problem, and since I can't see your pc I can't really tell you where it goes wrong.
                But you said you could download on another pc, why don't you copy that downloaded file to a USB memory stick, and take that to your pc and install it with that?

I have absolutely no experience with Cubase, I have not seen it since the Atari computer days:lol: so can't help you with that one.

Cheers
                Mike

Telecaster 220

I did use a USB memory stick and loaded the driver application from the website. Was able to install the drivers that way - did not use the CD since those are outdated?. Once the drivers were installed I was able to load Cubase. So far so good. Thanks for your help.

Achord

Comment

• Markman -

This is absolutely Kindergarden.

Well not until you decided to post again, but unfortunately I have not got moderator rights, otherwise I would have kicked the people out that ruins it for everyone else that comes here to get help.

Craig - Please let me know if I'm out of order, but I really think this guy has absolutely no intention of getting help, he is plainly not capable of grasping that if he gave it a little time, he would probably get his problems sorted.

Cheers
                  Mike
                  Mike<br />
                  <br />
                  <br />

Comment

• Telecaster 220

I did use a USB memory stick and loaded the driver application from the website. Was able to install the drivers that way - did not use the CD since those are outdated?. Once the drivers were installed I was able to load Cubase. So far so good. Thanks for your help.

Achord

Achord - That is great news good luck with it, if you have any issues then post back here and we'll see if we can help you

Cheers
                    Mike
                    Mike<br />
                    <br />
                    <br />

Comment

• Mike:
                      For your information:
                      This is a PRO REVIEW of the IO26 and not a playground to learn basics in the handling of Windows.

For your information the IO26 is NOT a mixer, so this thing about additional mixer is not really true is it.

Thank you for this valuable information...
                      One last comment:
                      So you are not even reading your own postings ?

My output doesn't distort anything in my end, but then again I rung my outputs to a mixer where I have set my gain levels.

As I already said many postings before:
                      I would appreciate if you simply wouldn't talk to me over and over...

Comment

• Markman - For better or for worse this Pro Review has turned in to a help forum for Alesis IO14/26 and even Multimix, and a lot of people have found the help that they needed here, whether that help ended up being help with Windows or not doesn't matter, and who are you to call this a playground in the basics of windows, you can't even get rid of your clicks and pops using windows.

Yes I am reading my own posts, and since we all ready established that the IO26 is NOT a mixer, then my use of a mixer is not unusual.

My output still doesn't distort at all no matter where I send the signal.

As I already said many postings before:
                        I would appreciate if you simply wouldn't talk to me over and over...

No you have not, you can appreciate all you want, I still think you're wrong in your approach to getting your problems sorted, but I'm a nice guy so I will answer you until you either have found the help you need, or you finally give up and stop posting.

Cheers
                        Mike
                        Mike<br />
                        <br />
                        <br />

Comment

• Markman - For better or for worse this Pro Review has turned in to a help forum for Alesis IO14/26 and even Multimix, and a lot of people have found the help that they needed here.

Very true. The Pro Review part kind of ended once the io worked on everything I own -- not much for me to talk about past that point.

BUT I know how ornery interfaces are, and I'm very glad that people are finding assistance here.

I'm also very impressed that Jim Norman remains so conscientious about monitoring this thread, and that Telecaster is helping out so much.

Look, no one is here to force anyone to do anything. If you don't like the io, or it doesn't work for you, then by all means move on to something else that does work. For those who are digging the io, I hope they continue to find additional useful information here. Bottom line for me is it works for me, it's great value, and I can record stuff with it.
                          There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

Comment

• Mike:
                            For your information:
                            This is a PRO REVIEW of the IO26 and not a playground to learn basics in the handling of Windows.

True story: A company (not Alesis) was working on a consumer-oriented piece of software and wanted my input on making it as user-friendly as possible.

I said it didn't matter how user-friendly they made it, it had to work within a computer environment and that was not user-friendly.

The people using these tools are musicians. So many times in Windows, or the Mac for that matter, there's one checkbox in one sub-menu deep in the OS that can make the difference between a product working or not working.

These Pro Reviews have helped many people by pointing out some small computer tweak. With the Konnekt 24, for example, I don't think it was generally known that certain wireless network cards could screw up your audio until it was pointed out in the K24 pro review.

When it comes to computer-based music, we're all experts if it works, and we're all beginners if it doesn't And that goes for companies, too, who have to navigate the same kind of capricious policies that Apple and Microsoft unleash that the rest of us have to deal with. And who do not have unlimited resources, either, and who -- being human -- are capable of making mistakes.

The difference I see with Alesis is that they have someone here on a regular basis encouraging people to send him PMs with specifics on problems so the company can fix these issues. If Alesis didn't care, Mr. Norman would have bailed a long time ago.

Comment

• Anderton:
                              It's nice that it works for your gear, but I am supprised by your view that this is a cause to see a REVIEW that uses a FORUM is automatically finished at the moment you are pleased.
                              Posting bugs and giving a hint towards concept-flaws (= possible solutions) is a part of the WHOLE PICTURE.
                              This takes time and efford, that I DID NOT receive any thanks or progression for. I am not even expecting thanks, but to fight around in a childish manner with a frantic leech kills niveau.

It is not so elegant to supress every critic that is directed to the maufacturer of the reviewed product.
                              Drowning the many critical posts of different users away is a somewhat embarrassing form of swamping information, that I could imagine even Alesis is not so proud of. I remember times when Alesis made sophisticated "entrance-products" and was not assigned to a kids-product-image with the equivalent support-problems.

It's also not helpful to repeatedly try to direct the fault to other manufacturers - by incorrect argumentation strings for reported problems that are independant from other manufacturers - for people who are trying to make a decision to avoid problems that might arise.

After all a reviewer is "only human", too.

Limiting the number of streams to avoid buffer underuns is a standard of ASIO, too.
                              But the manufacturer has to be aware of this to have it working. Even if he doesn't want to switch this over ASIO, he could make the number of activated streams controllable in his own driver.

S/PDIF is a standard that SONY should know how to implement, they have set this standard and their gear rejects the Alesis S/PDIF. There may be gear that tries to read the signal anyways, but this looks like a indicator for a really bad IO26 clock.

Electrical level of LINE-signals is a standard. Alesis could solve this problem, if they made the outputlevel storable. There may be folks out there that don't even recognize that their setup is distorting.

To cure bad programming with CPU overkill can not be a serious solution.
                              To write drivers, which should be performant, by relying on several (apparently on-the-fly loaded) routine-libraries seems to be not so recommendable.

Comment

• As a "user" (not a de-bugger) with latest drivers running a current model 2.2ghz C2D iMac on an 'audio only' user account.... I am experiencing two main issues:

1. "ASIO Driver Could not be started" when I open Cubase. - Seems to fix when I switch latency settings in system prefs, SOMETIMES!

2. Master Audio - when the ASIO driver does kick in, SOMETIMES, it's at 100% which has come very close to killing my speakers. Now do I have to have an extra mixing stage between the Alesis and the (powered) speakers to cover this flaw?

I'm considering spending 4x what I did on the IO26 and purchasing an Apogee Ensemble - apparently they work.

Comment

Working...
                                X