Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm hoping someone from Alesis can comment on the price issues with the io26. It's obvious that this box represents tremendous value; I'm not seeing where the corners are being cut. My assumption is that between the FireWire mixers and various interfaces, the company is buying a ton of mic preamp and FireWire chips, as well as connectors, and are getting huge quantity breaks.

Any comments, without of course resorting to marketing-speak or divulging trade secrets? How [do] you keep the price down on this?
    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• All right, that's it for the io26 for today, time to update some of the other Pro Reviews. I'm thinking of what kind of tests to run next...Windows and MIDI, of course. I also want to get into the direct monitoring applet a little more, I mentioned it a bit earlier but there's a lot more going on with it than I covered. See you later!
      Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• All right, that's it for the io26 for today, time to update some of the other Pro Reviews. I'm thinking of what kind of tests to run next...Windows and MIDI, of course. I also want to get into the direct monitoring applet a little more, I mentioned it a bit earlier but there's a lot more going on with it than I covered. See you later!

U...... R........ Da Man!!! GRACIAS!!
        He's Coming,Make Music Be Happy
        The Lord Is My Provider And My Boss, So Don't Even Think You Are The Man
        Too Many Songs To Learn, So little Time!!

Comment

• Craig,

Our approach on the IO 14 and 26 was to go back to the old Alesis formula of offering more bang for the buck. Since these products were developed from our initial involvement with the DICE II chip we worked to make the design cost effective as well as offer high quality. When you start from scratch and develop new designs you can look for more affordable parts to go into the design.

It’s important to realize that we didn’t cut any corners on quality however. With years of manufacturing under our belt we have ways of saving cost and passing it on to the customers.

The nice thing to realize is that while the price of the IO's are pretty aggressive we are using real, high quality parts like Neutrik connectors and audiophile Cirrus ADC’s. We also created brand new Mic Pre’s for these products instead of borrowing from past designs. We were able to save cost as well offer the best Pre’s we have made yet.

Jim

you keep the price down on this?

Comment

• Craig,

Our approach on the IO 14 and 26 was to go back to the old Alesis formula of offering more bang for the buck. Since these products were developed from our initial involvement with the DICE II chip we worked to make the design cost effective as well as offer high quality. When you start from scratch and develop new designs you can look for more affordable parts to go into the design.

It’s important to realize that we didn’t cut any corners on quality however. With years of manufacturing under our belt we have ways of saving cost and passing it on to the customers.

The nice thing to realize is that while the price of the IO's are pretty aggressive we are using real, high quality parts like Neutrik connectors and audiophile Cirrus ADC’s. We also created brand new Mic Pre’s for these products instead of borrowing from past designs. We were able to save cost as well offer the best Pre’s we have made yet.

Jim

Hi! Jim!! Thanks for your reply and info.'m looking forward to the driver improvement for the io26!

I like it a lot, it's working well with my laptop, but not with my desktop.

Thanks again! for being here

Comment

• I getting Drop outs with Sonar Home Studio 4 in my laptop now...sigh!

Comment

• Hello Jim,

Maybe you can provide a better answer than I received from support regarding the bus power on these. Have they been tested at all with Macbooks to see if they can be properly powered from the firewire ports on these laptops?

Comment

• I getting Drop outs with Sonar Home Studio 4 in my laptop now...sigh!

The io26 It's working fine with Reaper, so far............

Comment

• I ve had the io 14 for about a week, sounds great, records nice clean audio, however i too have the same problem that a lot of people are reporting: audio drop outs when playing back music or recorded audio, and when opening other media type programs i get gliches too.

Like Vilo i have a PC with 1 gb RAM and a asus MB w/on-board firewire port. So i seen in some previos threads that this seems to be the case for mostly mac users we'll evidently the problem exists for PC users as well. I contacted Alesis to notify the prob and hopefully they can release a driver to fix the prob i think everyone woth this issue should do the same. I did see what Jim from Alesis had posted about workin on this for mac users i hope they recognize that it is the same for PC's too...

Comment

• I ve had the io 14 for about a week, sounds great, records nice clean audio, however i too have the same problem that a lot of people are reporting: audio drop outs when playing back music or recorded audio, and when opening other media type programs i get gliches too.

Like Vilo i have a PC with 1 gb RAM and a asus MB w/on-board firewire port. So i seen in some previos threads that this seems to be the case for mostly mac users we'll evidently the problem exists for PC users as well. I contacted Alesis to notify the prob and hopefully they can release a driver to fix the prob i think everyone woth this issue should do the same. I did see what Jim from Alesis had posted about workin on this for mac users i hope they recognize that it is the same for PC's too...

Comment

• Has anyone used the IO/26 With cubase 4 yet. Mac or pc. I just upgraded to Cubase 4 and want to buy a new computer and sound card. I'm used to Cubase so i decided to stick with it , but am curious about the performance.
                        Thanks,
                        Andre

Comment

• Craig,

Jim

Hi Jim, thanks for your input
                          You haven just sold another unit
                          I have always been a fan of Alesis stuff. It's somehow cool, your products have a quality of their own and a certain character.
                          I have been waiting for this unit for some time and they still don't have it in Europe. Mind you, I have just received a brochure from my dealer in Rotterdam which lists the price, but I am afraid it's still not in stock. www.thomann.de says the delivery time is the end of April. Does this go only for Germany or for other European countries as well?

And of course, a big thanks to Craig for his efforts..
                          "Really the only way you can get good, unless you are a genius, is to copy" Ritchie Blackmore

Comment

• Well, I wouldn't be too hard on them. I presume that Alesis just isolated the problem, as Jim Norman emailed me only yesterday. People are always going to make guesses as to what the problem is until they find out for sure.

I can totally understand that it takes time to find problems. And I really do appreciate that Alesis was up front once the issue had been (widely) reported. But their initial claim that this type of thing is "normal" leaves a lot to be desired.

Kudos to them for doing something about this issue, and for participating in this review in the first place. Your (very positive) review of the pres and conversion, along with Alesis' pledge to do something about the driver issue on Intel Macs (which I happen to have), put the io26 squarely at the top of my list.

With this type of value coming in the new breed of FW interfaces, it'll be interesting to see how the other players (who have been in the FW game longer) react...I'm speaking of companies like MOTU.

Comment

• Thanks for all your questions. I have to leave for Frankfurt Messe soon so I apologize for not being available much for the next week.

To answer a few questions.

IO's should be in Europe this coming April.

If you are having Windows audio drop out issues please contact our Product Support guys, either by phone or email. I'm not sure you are necessarily having driver issues. We haven't seen that here on our Windows machines. There can be so many variables with interfacing audio products to computers. If you report the issue and the Product Support guys can't solve the problem it will go to us in Engineering and we'll investigate the issue further. Please let us know what you are seeing. Naturally we'll need all your details and going to support first is the best step for us to sort things out.

As far as testing all the MacBook Pro's for bus power. No we haven't tested them all. The ones we have checked have been fine, but I have found that Mac's vary in Firewire bus power. My little G4 Powerbook works fine, but my iMac G5 doesn't. Go figure.

Thanks,

Jim

Comment

• I'm pleased so far with the product . Its had a couple of glitches but nothing huge. Very well built, and sound quality is great. I'm planning on picking up the io26 soon as well. I should be able to hook the io14 into the 26 via the adat or spdif right?
                                Thanks
                                Eric
                                Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
                                Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
                                Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
                                FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

Working...
                                X