Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger, if I remember well, I believe you use your io/26 with a PowerBook, don't you? And I suppose you're running Tiger? Also, how much RAM do you have?
    iBook G4 1.2 GHz - 1.25 GB RAM - Tiger 10.4.11 - Tracktion2 - Alesis iO|26 - Tascam VL-X5

Comment

I have a 1ghz G4 Powerbook with the latest Mac OS 10.4.?

I have 768Mb RAM. I really should have a gigabyte of RAM, but everything works ok.

Roger, if I remember well, I believe you use your io/26 with a PowerBook, don't you? And I suppose you're running Tiger? Also, how much RAM do you have?

Comment

Two questions!

1)
        Slightly off topic - but can anyone recommend a nice travel case for the IO|26 that would fit the PSU and maybe a few other bits and bobs? - I have a significant amount of mobile recording coming up and no nice "pouch" for it yet.

2) Back on topic, has anyone else successfully used the IO|26 with WDM under XP? - I want to use it alongside my Tascam US-428 with Sonar 4 PE but have had to retreat to using it as the sole audio interface using ASIO as I couldn't get playback without pops and clicks in Sonar (the same recording would play cleanly in Cubase LE) when using WDM.

My setup is a Dell XPS M170 laptop with an external Prestigio L190T LCD screen - XP SP2 (media), 2GB RAM, 2.66 GHz Pentium M - recording to an external USB2 disk.

Using ASIO I can get perfect recordings in both the supplied Cubase LE and Sonar 4 PE - but with WDM cannot playback in Sonar without the pops and clicks (if I record some audio, export it and playback say with Sound Forge or Cubase LE it plays fine). Either way I'm getting random system hangs since installing the drivers - always happening when I'm doing something that involves media of some sort - say opening a PDF manual with Sonar open - or forgetting to close Sonar and opening WinAMP is a guaranteed killer!

I can get by just fine using my Tascam as the controller and the Alesis as the only audio interface - but it's handy having those extra audio inputs available on the Tascam and being able to flick between the audio outputs to hear differences.

Cheers,

Fergus.

Comment

Actually it records 8 mono tracks. I use Logic Pro and I've recorded up to 24 tracks with the lightpipe inputs.

I was talking about Cubase Le, not the io26
          He's Coming,Make Music Be Happy
          The Lord Is My Provider And My Boss, So Don't Even Think You Are The Man
          Too Many Songs To Learn, So little Time!!

Comment

Same here. My version of Cubase Le does 8 mono tracks. What version do you have? The current one is 1.0.10. The guys at Alesis product support sent me the latest.

I was talking about Cubase Le, not the io26

Comment

Same here. My version of Cubase Le does 8 mono tracks. What version do you have? The current one is 1.0.10. The guys at Alesis product support sent me the latest.

I tried the version that came with the Multimix Firewire16 Mixer, and I did not like it, so I did not installed the one that came with the ioI26

So if is 8 mono racks is good, sorry for the mixed up

Comment

Patience...I think it's important to cover what the thing does first before we start doing the listening tests, because if it doesn't have particular features people want, they're not going to care about how it sounds. Besides, I didn't take all those pictures for nothing

So Anderton when you gonna let us know how this thing sounds then? Also I think you mentioned you've used the EMU 1820m before, can you A/B with that as these 2 interfaces have simular claims and bang for buc..although I know the 1820m is discontinued now.

Comment

I will be recording this weekend using the IO|26, will post any comments.

Comment

So Anderton when you gonna let us know how this thing sounds then? Also I think you mentioned you've used the EMU 1820m before, can you A/B with that as these 2 interfaces have simular claims and bang for buc..although I know the 1820m is discontinued now.

I will indeed be comparing it with the 1820m and some others. Unfortunately, after visting my mother, I was scheduled to return home on Friday...when that big snow storm hit the east coast, and my flight was canceled. I was stranded in Newark NJ, and due to problems getting re-booked, I didn't get home until late Monday night. Yesterday I had to deal with various deadlines I missed because of not getting home, and I'll finally be able to get back to the Pro Reviews this evening. Sorry, but things don't always work out as expected! Jeez, at least I could have gotten stranded in Maui or something
                    Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I will indeed be comparing it with the 1820m and some others.

Craig, do you think you could do like this person did and record a short sample from a high quality source into the various interfaces you've done reviews on so we can judge for ourselves the quality of the A/D sections? I found this invaluable in helping me decide (at least with that comparison --> spoiler <--) that I much preferred the Konnekt 24d over the Fireface 400.

I know that it's a lot of extra work, but I think it would save you quite a bit of typing in answer to the inevitable "But how does it sound?"

- Mike

Comment

I just recieved the io14. Very easy to setup and was able to hear sound and input sound with in 5 minutes. Haven't tried recording yet, though I have installed cubase LE. When I plug in my headphones (AKG M80's) there is a bit of noise, but then the line is clean. I am also using this interface to evaluate sound while I'm editing video in Final Cut Pro Studio and Soundtrack Live. I ran into the problem where when I open Soundtrack and then try and listen to the audio in Final Cut, the audio disappears. Reopening Final Cut solved the problem, and I haven't messed with it more, but this is a potentially annoying problem. Anyone have any ideas why it happened or is this similar to the sound blip people mentioned when opening more then one program at once?

Thanks,
                        Eric
                        Member of the Mazi Bee Militia
                        Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 92 Gibson AJ, 2001 Martin 000-16GT
                        Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, '73 Vibro Champ, Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb
                        FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Line 6 Pod HD400, EH Holy Grail Plus, Fulltone Fat Boost FB-2, Dunlop Wah

Comment

I will indeed be comparing it with the 1820m and some others. Unfortunately, after visting my mother, I was scheduled to return home on Friday...when that big snow storm hit the east coast, and my flight was canceled. I was stranded in Newark NJ, and due to problems getting re-booked, I didn't get home until late Monday night. Yesterday I had to deal with various deadlines I missed because of not getting home, and I'll finally be able to get back to the Pro Reviews this evening. Sorry, but things don't always work out as expected! Jeez, at least I could have gotten stranded in Maui or something

Ok sorry to pressure, just thought you'd forgot about this thread! good to have you back I look forward to your posts.

I'm new here by the way, but I actually started a thread over at gearslutz on the io26 as I was supprised no one was reveiwing it. So when some one from here (maybe ViLo) posted the link to this in Gearslutz and I saw your methodic approach to reviewing kit, I was impressed.

I'm not really looking to buy this (at least not at the mo) but want to hear how the quality stands up to their claims.

Cheers

Comment

I am really stoked to see that Craig Anderton is reviewing this potential little nugget. Hopefully the A/D D/A conversion will prove to be excellent (not just good) for this price range. I like the blurb about the jitter-free technology, but then again talk is talk and specs are specs.

Also must say that I am super glad to see that it will be compared to the EMU 1820m, since that is what I have been using for the last 4 years. Love it, but always looking at other pastures.

Thanks!
                            Will

Comment

I'm new here by the way, but I actually started a thread over at gearslutz on the io26 as I was supprised no one was reveiwing it. So when some one from here (maybe ViLo) posted the link to this in Gearslutz and I saw your methodic approach to reviewing kit, I was impressed.

Comment

I own the I|O2 model for basic home recording.
                                I'm pretty happy with it, also noticed how greatly is was built. Good preamps, no hiss or noise. I only have 2 complaints actually.
                                - ASIO drivers are bad, they bring in too much latency and several recording programs don't recognize them. I had to tweak text parameters for Cubase to accept it. I finally switched back to good old ASIO4ALL.
                                - MIDI input has glitches. I use it with a master keyboard to trigger soft synths. It locks up quite often. My keyboard and cables work fine with other synths.
                                I'd appreciate if you could test these parts on the bigger brothers.
                                1/3 solid knowledge, 1/3 common sense, 1/3 made-up bull****************
                                Living fossile from a dead world

Comment

Working...
                                X