Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've read over all the posts but don't think I have heard of anyone else with this issue.

Basically all looks OK for me but I get no sound out of the IO/26 in Vista. I can get sound in - hear it through the monitors, record signal into Cubase, but cannot hear any playback from my system. No windows sounds, no cubase. The IO is recognized in Vista device manager, and system sound config. The output meter even registers sound going out in Sound panel. Just nothing happens.

Here is my system info:
    HP a1520E
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor, 3500+ 2.2GHz
    1 Gig of RAM
    Windows Vista Home, 32 Bit
    Rosewill RC-502 1394a card
    I am using the IO's power adapter

Anyone else run into this? I was hoping someone may have and can shed some light. My guess is that its a simple setting issue somewhere - although I have looked EVERYWHERE (I think). Or, it's a Vista issue, or a firewire issue. I am trying to find the suggested Belkin or Adaptec cards locally to try that.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• MojoDog, sorry if this is ridiculous but have you tried messing with the mix blend and or main level knobs.

I found them confusing at first because they are the non-stop travel type (or whatever they're called).
      [tumbleweed . . . bell tolls . . .]

I'll get me coat.

Comment

• MojoDog, sorry if this is ridiculous but have you tried messing with the mix blend and or main level knobs.

I found them confusing at first because they are the non-stop travel type (or whatever they're called).

Not ridiculous at all. It very well may be something that simple. But, yes I tried that.

I have been researching 1394 cards and have come to the conclusion that a card that supports isochronous and asynchronous data transfer - as well as has a better made chip like Texas Instruments, is needed. It seems like not all cards are created equal as others have said earlier. I'm trying to get my hands on one now. I'll post back if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion Spike!

Comment

• In all honesty, I'm surprised at how dodgy the customer support is over at Alesis these days. I've emailed them twice now about seeing if they were going to have drivers that supported Leopard OS X 10.5, and no one has gotten back in touch with me. My first email was sent out over a month ago, hell I think that it was a month and a half.

Jim said that they were working on updating the drivers for the Mac, which was forever ago ... and there's still the drivers from April on there. So I'm wondering if they're holding out for OS X 10.5, or not.

What's going on Jim? Am I going to have to wait to upgrade my OS for a while?

Comment

• We are currently testing a beta release for a new Mac driver. Once we determine that this update is ok for OS 10.4.10 as well as OS 10.5 we will issue a release. Sorry for the delay, but it makes no sense to release this until we determine that is ok.

Thanks,

Jim

In all honesty, I'm surprised at how dodgy the customer support is over at Alesis these days. I've emailed them twice now about seeing if they were going to have drivers that supported Leopard OS X 10.5, and no one has gotten back in touch with me. My first email was sent out over a month ago, hell I think that it was a month and a half.

Jim said that they were working on updating the drivers for the Mac, which was forever ago ... and there's still the drivers from April on there. So I'm wondering if they're holding out for OS X 10.5, or not.

What's going on Jim? Am I going to have to wait to upgrade my OS for a while?

Comment

• Can someone help me out here?

When I switch on my 'puter, if I look at the performance meter it shuttles between 1 and up to around 13% CPU use with nothing happening - no apps running, done all usual XP tweaks etc.

I have narrowed this CPU use down to Deferred Procedure Calls (whatever that is) definitely associated with the IO26 - I tried disconnecting each device in turn and its definitely the IO 26.

Is this normal? Do you get the same thing?

Please let me know. Thanks.

I run XP SP2 on a standard Dell 2.13 dual core with 1 gb ram

Can anyone help me with this please? Just start up your 'puter with your IO26 connected. Open task manager and click on performance. Let me know whether you are getting similar CPU usage.

It may be completely normal but I'd like to know. Thanks in advance.

(And good luck with the new card MojoDog )

I'll get me coat.

Comment

• I recently purchased an Alesis IO|26 for recording and live performance.

Overall, I have been satisfied with the experience, but I have been dealing with some issues that may or may not be related to the device.

Here is my setup:

Sony Vaio VGN-FS850P/W (Intel 915GM chipset)
                2 GB RAM
                Windows XP Professional (up-to-date)
                Ableton Live 6
                Alesis io|26 (Latest drivers: 3.0.56.2; firmware 1.6)
                Edirol PCR-M50 USB Midi Controller

Description of the problems:

At first, everything usually works properly with decent latency and no issues. But then the interface will start disappearing randomly. Live will inform me the interface cannot be found, and then disable the audio engine.
                Usually, I can fix the issue by unplugging the firewire cable, and then reinserting it after a couple of seconds. I can then go to the preferences window and reselect the io|26 as the audio device.
                This will often happen multiple times throughout a session, with no obvious relation to what I might be doing in live.
                I do not know if this is a driver issue, a system resource issue, or something else. What I do know is having your interface disappear and all audio stop mid-performance is very frustrating.

As I said, my testing is in progress right now. I have a fresh image of XP Professional with nothing installed except Live and the drivers for the interface and my midi controller.

The io|26 is being powered by the external AC adapter (wall wart). My laptop (Sony Vaio) only has the smaller 4-pin Firewire port (Sony calles it i.Link).
                For this reason, the device will not power off the Firewire port alone. I am using a cable that is 6-pin on the end connected to the io|26 and 4-pin on the end connected to my computer. I have wondered if using the 4-pin connection would have any effect on the device, but it doesn’t seem like it should. I plan to install the io|26 on my desktop, which has 6-pin Firewire connections, and rule out that possibility. I need to do some additional experimenation using another application besideds Live, as well as on a different system. Unfortunately my time is too limited to put the alesis into action; I have a show tonight, so I will be going back to my old method of running my computer’s headphone out into a mixer...

I'm hoping the issue isn't with the interface itself, as I have been extremely satisfied with the quality and form-factor of the io|26.

Any other help/suggestions/troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Spira-

A great many of us have been enduring the same problem for months. It's a problem with the Alesis and it's not likely to go away until Alesis resolves it.
                  Mac dual G5 w/10.4.10, G5 iMac w/10.4.10
                  M-Audio Mobile Pre, Alesis io|26
                  Apple Logic Pro

Comment

• Thanks for the quick reply, and that's what I was afraid of...

It's such a nice form factor; I really had my hopes up that this would revolutionize what I could do live, let alone providing me the final piece for a really good mobile recording rig.

So I guess this must be a driver issue then?

I have been trying everything I can find. I installed one MS hotfix that was for firewire specifically, and I think after my show tonight I will install hotfix 904412 and see if that does anything...

Comment

• Yes, I think it's a driver problem. But it exists on both Macintosh and Windows systems, so I suppose it's possible it's a firmware issue in the box. You're right about it being a great form factor. That's why I bought one. But I would never trust it for a live performance.
                      Apple Logic Pro

Comment

• I absolutely do not have this problem on my AMD 64x Win XP machine. My network card is disabled. My firewire is an Adaptec PCI card - I think a VIA chipset. Which leads me to wonder if it's a laptop thing. I mean, obviously, it's a driver thing, but it sounds like a problem with interrupts. I'd start rooting around with the Window system tools. Or try a firewire PCMI card - as much as I'd hate curing hardware with hardware.

The main volume thing bit me in the ass the other night. Ouch.
                        --
                        digital lo-fi: A computer full of software and the truth.

Comment

• It's not a laptop thing. My computers are both desktop and Macintosh. It's a random thing. Some people get it, others don't. If it was easy they'd have fixed it by now. No one can figure it out. If you have it, you're stuck until (unless) Alesis figures it out.
                          Apple Logic Pro

Comment

• Wow Jim, thanks for getting back in touch!!! MUCH appreciated. I thought that it was odd how I didn't hear back from anyone, considering that the guys at Alesis get back to me pretty quickly.

I figured that you guys were still working on that driver, so it's all good.

From what I understand tho, is that there's going to be major changes with the CoreAudio Firewire stuff in 10.5. So if you're trying to make the new driver work with 10.4.10 and 10.5 (and having trouble with it) maybe you guys should release them seperately, instead of trying to get them to work together. They are 2 different operating systems after all.

Thanks again for getting back in touch Jim, I was pretty sure that you'd have something to say. I'm glad that I haven't updated past 10.4.8.

Comment

• Perhaps you can share what you have heard about the driver, as it was not posted on the forum. Evidently it has something to do with System 10.4.8 Version 10.4.9 is required to use Apple's Logic Studio.
                              Apple Logic Pro

Comment

• Can anyone help me with this please? Just start up your 'puter with your IO26 connected. Open task manager and click on performance. Let me know whether you are getting similar CPU usage.

It may be completely normal but I'd like to know. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to bang on about this but anyone? Anyone at all?

I'll get me coat.

Comment

Working...
                                X