Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, just get 2 1/4" to RCA adapters. I'm surprised that your laptop doesn't have a line out. I'd recommend picking this up for that use however: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-UCONTROL-UCA202-USBAudio-Interface?sku=702540

Thanks man!

That means I can use that thing, and if I choose to get the io|26 and use it exclusively for recording!
    Originally Posted by Spacehog26

Sonic Maximisers are...the musical equivalent
    of a turd polisher.

"This isn't 4chan you idiot"- anon.

Originally Posted by lfrz93

btw petejt,
    is that you in your avatar?

Originally Posted by petejt

-----
    My list of gear is here
    Mesa/Boogie Mob

Comment

• I tried another buffer setting to see if it would eliminate the problem I had with static on playback in Tracktion if I played back after recording without closing and reopening Tracktion. It worked. Being curious, I tried my original 512 buffer setting. It worked too, no static. Repeated a couple of times. Ah, the vagaries of the way computers function. Sometimes, when a program doesn't work right, a simple reboot is needed. I didn't do that the last time. Every thing seems to be working right now. I've found a 512 buffer setting with System Latency Compression set to high works best for playback for my Dell laptop.

Comment

• Hello everyone.

Just wanted to say thanks for the review of this piece of equipment.

I was deciding between this (iO26) and the "firepod".
        Because of some of the features of the iO26 vs the firepod I decided on the iO26 and went to the local GC last saturday evening and bought one.

I've never used an "audio interface" with a laptop before, and the fact that I have a Dell made me squirm a little but I needed to see if I couldn't get something to suit my needs.

I thought this might be able to help someone or maybe start a dialog of what's what on my system if anyone has something similar with problems.

Currently using:
        Dell Latitude D610 (1.73 Ghz proc. and 1Gig of ram)
        An ADS Pyro pcmcia "firewire" card (22 bucks at Circuit City)
        Cakewalk Home Studio 2004 XL

Installed the pcmcia card.....near effortless

Went straight to the Alesis web site for the latest driver/control pannel (for the iO26) and installed per instructions........again near effortless (if it were'nt for the mouse clicks..:-)
        Note: I did not install the firmware that came with the driver and control pannel.

Plugged in the io26 and proceeded to check it out (near midnight by this time), already playing back some of my cakewalk music with no problem....Im starting to get a little grin on my face.

I hear a fain "chatter" in the back ground.....disabled my wireless card.....chatter gone.....switched back and forth to confirm wireless adapter noise.....confirmed, no problem....I shut it off.

Did a quick in with the guitar and pod......echo's from you know where, latency at about 100 ms (3 days in music !).....oh well there is a ton of stuff to check and do but I'm tired and have to get to bed.

Next day (Sunday):

Open cakewalk and have a poke around.....using the MME drivers
        Never even noticed that from the night before.
        Switched to ASIO and ran the wave profiler........wow latency at 1.9 ms.
        O.K. that's what it says but how does it perform.
        Using the direct monitor I started recording some rough guitar tracks to my already recorded song.....no problem, worked great.

For the heck of it (as an afterthought) i tried the ADAT (for the first time in my life)
        Holy Cow !!!
        Transfered 16 (8 at a time)tracks from my Fostex VF16 ! (yes, the original one).......that alone is worth it for me.....whole new world now.

So anyway, I loaded up a huge song and tried simultaneaously recording 2 tracks while playing back 32..........not a hicup anywhere, worked great.

That's the extent (in a nutshell) of my experimentation so far, If I can do any further testing for anybody on anything specific or offer any greater detail in my setup for compatibility purposses, please feel free to ask.

This is a great site and has offered me some great information and for that, I am greatful.....:-)

In turn, if I can offer anyone assistance, I'll gladly do so.

Thanks Again.

Comment

• If your Firmware isn't the latest you won't be able to have seperate Headphone control. MYI.

Glad its working for you.

Ed

Comment

• Hi. I'm subscribing to this thread :-)

Comment

• If you install the new driver, it also installs the new firmware. Open the control panel and click i0/26. It'll show the 1.6 firmware if you installed the new driver. I assume Alesis gave the firmware a separate zip folder in the download in case you wanted the new firmware but not the new driver.

Comment

• If your Firmware isn't the latest you won't be able to have seperate Headphone control. MYI.

Glad its working for you.

Ed

Thank You for the info.

The "read me" that came with the Alesis zip mentioned to update the firmware if it is anything below 1.6, after I looked where they mentioned to, the firmware was in the 3 xxx range (hopefully looking in the right spot but not 100% sure ?) and I wanted to see how everything may or may not work the way it is while keeping the firmware (amongst other things) in the back of my mind in case of trouble.

I'm at work and can't check the firmware for the exact version right now, wish I could.

I haven't been able to mess with it since Sunday....:-(

I had such good preliminary results that I'm afaraid to change anything, however, best to do it while I can still take it back.

If you would, can you describe what I might be lacking right now and what I should gain by updating the firmware (if it needs it), So I'll know what exactly to look for and expect.
                I'm not super familiar with the unit at this point so please bare with me.
                I'll be glad to report my findings as soon as I get a chance to mees with it.

Please forewarn me if there are any "bugs" that you know of with the latest firmware.

This things doing more than I expected it to right now, when I've finished testing it on my current system, I have an older Dell Inspiron 8100 (1GHZ, 512MB) laptop with built in firewire that I want to try.

BTW, what is MYI ?......(Might be too many TLA's......:-)

Thanks Again.

Comment

• If you install the new driver, it also installs the new firmware. Open the control panel and click i0/26. It'll show the 1.6 firmware if you installed the new driver. I assume Alesis gave the firmware a separate zip folder in the download in case you wanted the new firmware but not the new driver.

I'll have to check this when I get home (if the wife and son allow...:-), I must not have looked in the right spot for the firmware version (looked more like the driver version ?) and I'll need to double check.

Yes, there is a separate zip for the firmware.
                  I installed the driver/control panel but did not install the firmware........yet.

As mine was/is new and mainly from reading this thread, I didn't bother with the software that came with it, I went straight to the Alesis web site and downloaded the "latest" stuff.

Comment

• Hi,

I am using the io26 for a few months now, without problems until today.

Thing is, i mainly use it for live electronics with Pure Data. Today i had a first rehearsal for my final examination concert next week, and the io26 stopped working 2 times. There is still going power over firewire (the green light next to 44.1 is still lit) but there is no connection anymore: the orange light next to the firewire symbol is gone.

Restarting the computer fixed it, but of course that would be quite embarassing during my examination. I also don't know how to recreate this problem. This evening it seems to work ok again.

Like I said, i am using Pure Data, with some audio patches. I make use of 5 inputs and 4 outputs, which is not really hard on the machine, i think. I do not think Pure Data has anything to do with it though. The second time it happened, it was not even running yet.

My computer has a AMD athlon 64 X2 dual core processor 3800+, with 2 gb of memory. It runs windows XP.

Does anyone know why this could happen or if there's a faster way to fix it, instead of rebooting the computer? I tried plugging out and in the firewire connector, but that did not help.

Thanks,

yvan

Comment

• @yvanvds
                      Are you using the separate power supply that came with the unit or.....are you powering it through the firewire connection ?

I could swear I read somewhere in this thread about the iO26 suddenly disconnecting while using only the firewire for power ?

Comment

• To RockAndRollOver-Re: Firmware update with new driver.

Per the PDF "read me" that came with the driver, open the new control panel (not the HDM panel, though you can get the control panel by clicking settings on the HDM panel). The control panel has the buffer, System Latency Compression and other settings. Near the top it says Alesis io26 (or io14 if you have that model). Click on that. It brings up a new screen indicating the firmware. I installed the new driver from it's zip file and checked this as it said in the "read me". It showed the 1.6 firmware even though I didn't install the new firmware from the firmware zip file.

Comment

• The firmware was update from December 2006. So if you got a unit in the last several months the Firmware was already installed for you.

Ed

Comment

• I could swear I read somewhere in this thread about the iO26 suddenly disconnecting while using only the firewire for power ?

I was indeed using the firewire for power. Though the power as such was still working, hence the green light. But on my next rehearsal i will use external for the device, hope that helps. Stupid thing is, it has not disconnected since yesterday, so i cannot really try out anything. (And during those scarce rehearsals i really have other things on my mind than trying to find out what causes the problem...)

Comment

• To RockAndRollOver-Re: Firmware update with new driver.

Per the PDF "read me" that came with the driver, open the new control panel (not the HDM panel, though you can get the control panel by clicking settings on the HDM panel). The control panel has the buffer, System Latency Compression and other settings. Near the top it says Alesis io26 (or io14 if you have that model). Click on that. It brings up a new screen indicating the firmware. I installed the new driver from it's zip file and checked this as it said in the "read me". It showed the 1.6 firmware even though I didn't install the new firmware from the firmware zip file.

I finally got another chance to mess with the iO26 last night and checked the firmware version......it's at 1.6
                              I did exactly as you did but I didn't have a previous install of the driver/control panel so I wouldn't have been able to determine any firmware change.
                              As Instred mentions, it may have already been updated (at the factory) in my case.

Comment

• The firmware was update from December 2006. So if you got a unit in the last several months the Firmware was already installed for you.

Ed

I checked last night to make sure my HP 1 & 2 volumes were independent of each other, they are.
                                It's a good thing because I actually needed to use it that way last night.

Comment

Working...
                                X