Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do these keyboards have the ability to do basic transport control of ProTools (Mac)? Anything beyond just the basics?

Comment

Hi. Dope review. I'm thinking about to buy this nice machine, but I've got the EDIROL FA-66 Audio Interface connected to my PC via firewire. Can I do something to connect both in order to have the audio interface as the main component of my "studio"?

Maybe I'll buy a workstation too, like AKAI MPC1000 or the ROLAND MV-8800 and I wish to have all integrated.

Thanks you in advance.

Comment

Hi. Dope review. I'm thinking about to buy this nice machine, but I've got the EDIROL FA-66 Audio Interface connected to my PC via firewire. Can I do something to connect both in order to have the audio interface as the main component of my "studio"?

I don't have the Firewire add-on for the XS6, so I'll be speculating, but I'm sure someone from Yamaha will correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe there's no technical reason why you couldn't hook up the FA-66 to one Firewire port and the Motif XS6 to another port (it seems to be good practice to have separate ports for each firewire device you use rather than try to daisy-chain them). However, at the DAW end of things, if you plan to use the FA-66 as an ASIO interface, that "locks out" the possibility of using other interfaces, at least with Windows. A company called CEntrance has a driver that accommodates using multiple Firewire ASIO interfaces, but I don't know if it accommodates ASIO and mLAN; I would tend to doubt it.

WDM/KS drivers for Windowsdo allow for having multiple interfaces working simultaneously, and while I think that would mean mLAN would also be available, I can't vouch for that without trying it myself.

The Mac is another story, what the ability to aggregate interfaces, but that's not a technique I have tried.

Hope this helps....
        N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

I went to the http://www.yamahasynth.com site, and found a couple programs to download: Studio Manager software, and a Motif XS editor. So here we go again - another learning curve!

I installed the software, and so far, so good although both applications seem somewhat complex, and it took me a while to figure out how to set up the MIDI ports so they would communicate properly. At the moment, I have the computer synchronizing with the XS6 so that as I make changes in the editor, they're reflected at the keyboard itself. You can also do the reverse, where changes you make on the keyboard alter settings in the editor.

Refer to the image, which I had to reduce to fit the BBS size limits for screens...the actual graphics are nice and crisp. This shows an editor screen for all elements; you'd use this if you wanted to, for example, change the filter cutoff for all elements simultaneously. But you can also call up screens for individual elements, organized similarly to the instrument interface (separate views for Oscillator/Pitch, Filter, Amplitude, LFO, etc.) so there's no need to acclimate yourself to a different UI.

Okay, and now I'm going to forget this program ever existed so I can get back to the keyboard itself...otherwise I'll probably find myself exploring the software for the next few days, and there's so much we need to cover in terms of sounds, the sequencer, etc. But again, I must say I appreciate Yamaha's relentless approach to support. You don't just get a keyboard, you get an editor, the Studio Manager software, some serious web resources, networking...I'll admit it's a bit overwhelming sometimes, but there sure is a lot of cool stuff going on here.
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

In answer to avl_digital, The Motif XS has a built-in SP/DIF output so you could just connect that to the SP/DIF in of the EDIROL FA-66 to integrate the Motif XS into your studio.

The Motif XS has complete mixing capabilities so you can mix all your Motif XS sounds digitally and record the stereo output digitally via the Edirol or set some tracks to an assignable L & R digital output and record Motif XS tracks one at time.

As far as using two Firewire devices, as Craig pointed out, most Fireiwire devices are peer to peer so you can use both but not at the same time.

You need to switch the ASIO driver in your application between the two devices.

So our recommendation would be to just use what comes standard on the XS and connect digitally via SP/DIF to your Edirol interface.
            Athan Billias
            Director of Marketing
            Pro Audio and Combo Division
            Yamaha Corporation Of America

Comment

And now, in response to your requests

The attached files are of solo violin, solo cello, and solo contrabass. As with the previous examples, I just played these into my sequencer, and saved them as MP3s...nuthin' fancy. This time around, though, I converted them to mono so they would have somewhat higher quality when played back as MP3s. I figured the gain in quality would offset some of the loss of spatiality that would occur by going from stereo to mono.

I'd also like to add that these riffs are played strictly off the keyboard: No added modulation, footpedals, etc. I wanted these samples to represent as "naked" a sound of the keyboard as possible. Obviously, if you start adding aftertouch, mod wheel, footpedals, etc, you could get more expressiveness. What's important about these examples is that I feel the expressiveness of the samples themselves is quite noteworthy.

Listen away

Comment

There are various ensemble sounds in the XS6, here's a (very) small taste.

The Ensemble patch was converted to mono, for the reasons given in the previous post. I like the thickness of the sound alot.

The Cello Duet patch is in stereo, because I figured you already heard the naked cello in the previous patch, and would find the difference in spatiality interesting. The cello duet patch is really quite warm and expressive...

Anyway, check 'em out. I'll do some more orchestral patches (pizzicato, brass, etc.) tomorrow. I had a bit of a setback today as we had a bunch of lightning storms, and when I started hearing crackles through the headphones that were timed with the lightning strikes, I figured that turning off the computers for a bit was a good idea

Comment

Athan_Billias a lot of thanks for your reponse. But I think the EDIROL FA-66 has not SPDIF.

Check it out:

How could I connect then the XS to the EDIROL? Thanks in advance again.

Comment

I'm not Athan, but I think I can answer that. On the rear panel, the FA-66 has optical SPDIF (the Out - Digital - In connectors). The XS6 has coaxial (RCA jack) SPDIF. The data format is exactly the same, only the connector is different, but you can buy optical to coaxial adapters (it's handy to have one around anyway).

This M-Audio converter would do the job, and costs only about $60.

Comment

You actually only need the optical to coaxial conversion one way (you just need a digital input to the Edirol and don"t need both SP/Dif in and out) so you can get boxes for about half the price.

A quick Google search found this.

http://www.svideo.com/toslinkcoax1.html
                      Athan Billias
                      Director of Marketing

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Athan!

But a note to AVL Digital: You still might want to get the bi-directional box, because you never know when some other piece of gear will show up in your studio that needs optical-to-SPDIF conversion...This is a corollary of Murphy's Law, namely, "Any adapter you don't have will be needed sometime in the near future."

Comment

Here are some brass sounds for ya

Same ground rules as before: Real-time noodling into a sequencer recording the audio output, no expressive mechanism other than playing the keys.

First up is classical trumpet, then French horn.

Comment

These examples are of muted trumpet and sax. For the muted trumpet, I was trying to go for a bit of a Miles Davis vibe 'cause I always thought he had the muted trumpet thing totally down.

The saxophone example broke my rule of "no extra expressive gestures." Seems I simply cannot try to play a sax part without messing with the pitch bend wheel, so I figured, why fight it?

Comment

Over the course of doing these examples, I've become more and more into using the control surface to control the recording process. I've been using this with Sonar (sorry Athan, Cubase will get its turn...) and increasingly, find myself turning to the computer less and less.

While recording, I would turn remote mode off while looking for sounds, then turn it back on when I was about to actually begin recording. The transport buttons did most of the work here, as the faders weren't really needed for what I was doing.

For those times I needed to undo, both undo and redo are implemented. As I recorded these examples (one after another, in the same tracks) I really didn't need to deal with the computer mouse or QWERTY keyboard at all; only when I was done recording, and ready to save out each example then bring it into Wavelab for trimming and MP3 conversion, did I actually need to move away from the keyboard and get back to the computer.

Old habits die hard, and it took me a little while to feel totally comfortable about controlling Sonar while sitting at a keyboard. But once I got into it, I have to say, it made recording go a lot faster...it took me about 2/3 of the time to generate today's examples compared to the ones I generated yesterday. To me, that's tangible evidence that the "let's add a control surface to the keyboard" concept has value.

Comment

We completely re-did the user interface for the DAW control on the Motif XS and it is really nothing like the Motif or Motif ES. we re-grouped paramters to make them more logical and gave you access to key windows ( Project or Mix) on almost every page

That plus the the fact that the XS has 8 sliders and 8 knobs really make it a very complete and usable DAW controller.

It may well be the DAW controller with the largest sized color display on the market. Most devices like Mackie controllers usea small "scribble " strip display.

In fact , in Remote Mode by pressing SF5 Page List, you can access every DAW control parameter from one page. This is an incredibly fast way to work (even with Sonar ).
                                Athan Billias
                                Director of Marketing

Comment

Working...
                                X