Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The final piece of the network puzzle is together: I'm now able to access the XS6 from my computer (or precisely, the USB memory stick connected to it; this is how it's supposed to work, you can't access the Flash memory directly). It shows up under My Network Places, you enter the File Server Account and password (heads-up - it's case-sensitive), and you're good to go.

Well, I definitely file this under Life's Little Victories, considering I'm a moron when it comes to network. I have to give the props to Yamaha, for making the setup instructions not too arcane, and Microsoft, for making it easy to set up a network under Windows XP. Very cool.

I'm signing off for now, but with a sense of accomplishment
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

thanks for the review..

Just reading the yamaha website at the moment.. it looks like its a very complete workstation.. Im mostly curious about the patch editing and the sampling..

is it easy to edit the existing patches?
      is it a smooth process??

and can you use samples as waveforms to make instrument patches?
      or does the sampler only let you do phrase sampling??

appologies if this is jumping ahead
      Nord Stage on order....
      Hurry up elves!

Comment

Thanks for the review Craig. You are the perfect person to answer my question.

With the acquisition of Cubase by Yamaha I know they are working hard to integrate the Motif into Cubase while stating that they are not going to leave out other DAW's. What features of integration within Cubase are missing from users of Sonar and Logic.

Robert
        My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the review Craig. You are the perfect person to answer my question.

With the acquisition of Cubase by Yamaha I know they are working hard to integrate the Motif into Cubase while stating that they are not going to leave out other DAW's. What features of integration within Cubase are missing from users of Sonar and Logic.

Robert

We'll all find out soon
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

Hi, I'll jump in and answer this one.

"What features of integration within Cubase are missing from users of Sonar and Logic ? "

There are no features that are missing. Advanced Integration simply makes it easier to use Yamaha hardware with Steinberg software.

Here are a couple of examples from the Motif XS and AI extensions (which will install into Cubase AI that comes bundled with the Motif XS and also commercial versions of Steinberg products like Cubase 4 Studio and Cubase 4.

Motif XS Song Import into Cubase AI

You can save a song on a USB device (or as Craig did save a file via Ethernet to your computer). Then you can open Cubase AI , select import and Motif XS Song is a choice. You can then open that Motif XS file. For example if it's an All file you can view all the songs saved in the All files , select a song, select either all tracks or which tracks you want to import and then import the song into Cubase including both MIDI and Audio. Using the Motif XS Studio Manager multi part editor you can send the mix from the Motif Xs to the editor and save it. Now you ahve ported all the settings from your Motif song into your DAW.

Is this possible to do with Sonar, yes , but you need to do a lot more work.
            Import the MIDI as SMF file, copy over the audio as wav files and make notes about where they went in the song, have the studio manager open as a stand alone program and manually sync Studio manager and the Motif XS. In fact , most people would probably just do it the old fashion way and re-record the parts into the computer sequencer by syncing them up. In fact in Sequencer setup we have given you a quick setup to do just that, so we really didn't forget about our shared customers with Sonar, DP and Logic.

Here is another example which is the AI peer to peer driver. Craig can't test this out because he has a Motif XS 6 and we haven't recieved mLAN16E2 yet.

However the Motif XS 8 comes with Firewire on board. When you install the driver and launch a version of Cubase with the AI extensions installed everything is automatically connected and your MIDI and Audio Ports in Cubase are all named. It's totally simple.

With other DAWs , it is possible to make the same connections and name all the ports but you have to do that yourself.

There may in the future be actual features that are only available between Yamaha and Steinberg products , but right now it more steamlining the workflow and interface that has been the focus.
            Athan Billias
            Director of Marketing
            Pro Audio and Combo Division
            Yamaha Corporation Of America

Comment

BTW, I'm the director of marketing for Yamaha and Steinberg here in the US so the above is 'straight from the horse's mouth' as they say.
              Athan Billias
              Director of Marketing

Comment

is it easy to edit the existing patches?
                is it a smooth process??

You can edit Voices using the knobs and sliders and store those settings. If you wnat to dig deeper , press edit and all of the parameters are available on the LCD display. Once Craig gets his USb hooked up , we will let him talk about the Motif XS multi part editor ( downloadable from www.yamahasynth.com for free so you can check it out even if you don't own the keyboard by the way). Two cool things about the editor.

First, it's multi part so you can edit MIxes and all the voices in a mix as well as using it for singel voice editing.

Second, it has bi-driectional communication. That means you can twist a knob on the synth and it's reflected in the editor. Change a parameter in the editor and it's reflected in the display on the synth. This let's you just work and not think about whether you are editing in hardware or virtually.

and can you use samples as waveforms to make instrument patches?

Yes, you have complete mapping capabilities and many of the convertor programs like Chicken Systems will output Motif ES format ( they are wokring on XS format now) which can be read by XS. Also there are native XS format libraries in the works at www.motifator.com.

or does the sampler only let you do phrase sampling??

We won't hijack Craig's review, but only jump into answer specific end user questions as we normally do on motifator.com
                Athan Billias
                Director of Marketing

Comment

Athan! Great to have you here. You have a bit of an advantage on me in terms of knowing the unit But one of the reasons I'm digging doing this review is there's SO MUCH to cover. It's kind of hard to know where to start sometimes...

Anyway, I'm about to install the USB...the network thing kind of hijacked me for a day but it was an experience well worth having, as I was very surprised I could get the system working without any hiccups. That bodes well for Cubase AI.

Comment

I went to http://www.yamahasynth.com to download the USB driver, and was pleasantly surprised to find out that not only Vista and XP/x64 edition are supported, but support extends backward to Windows 98SE (the first version of Windows where USB worked reliably, IMHO), ME, and 2000. On the Mac side, of course there's support for OS X but also for systems 8.6 - 9.2.

In these days when manufacturers seem less and less inclined to support older operating systems, I think that's kinda cool.

I've downloaded the driver, time to install.....

Comment

Well, I was up until four in the morning try to get the XS6 to show up in any host sequencer, but it wouldn't. The Yamaha USB-MIDI configuration menu showed up in the computer's control panel, and as some of the port numbers were blinking, I assume it was receiving data (MIDI clock or active sensing, perhaps). The driver also showed up under device manager, in the Sound, Video, and Games controller section, and said it was working properly; no X or ! symbols. And the little USB system tray icon showed it the XS6 as something that could be removed.

I made sure the XS6 was set to USB as the MIDI I/O, checked channels, and so on...but it would not show up as a MIDI device under Cubase 4, Cubase AI, Sonar, or Acid Pro. It's like the Motif could talk to the computer, but the computer couldn't pass that information along to the host software.

I rebooted, disconnected and re-connected the USB cable, uninstalled and re-installed the driver, tried doing a driver update...nothing. I followed instructions to the letter, including removing all USB devices prior to installation.

The only thing I can think of is when I opened the Driver folder (which listed .INF files for seemingly every Yamaha product introduced since the Dawn of Time), there were INF files for the Motif and Motif ES, but not the Motif XS. Maybe it's just too new and there's no Windows driver yet?

Athan, any clues? Guess I'll try doing this with the Mac and see what happens there, but I'd really like to know why I can't get it to show up under Windows. I guess if all else fails I can just go from the XS6 MIDI hardware I/O to an interface's MIDI I/O.

Comment

The newest Yamaha USB driver supports the Motif XS because we ( and many other XS users) have it setup and running.

Not sure why you had a problem.

Did you get the Windows Hardware Wizard to appear ? You need to run the new hardware wizard then manually point the Wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

Once the Hardware Wizard has been completed successfully you should be all set.

As you test a lot of gear is it possible you have exceeded the number of Windows registry entries that are possible ?
                        Athan Billias
                        Director of Marketing

Comment

The newest Yamaha USB driver supports the Motif XS because we ( and many other XS users) have it setup and running.

Not sure why you had a problem.

Did you get the Windows Hardware Wizard to appear ? You need to run the new hardware wizard then manually point the Wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

Yes, the hardware wizard appeared, and I manually pointed the wizard to the folder with the Yamaha USB driver in it.

As you test a lot of gear is it possible you have exceeded the number of Windows registry entries that are possible ?

That's entirely possible...any suggestions on how to cure this particular problem? Is there some document on the web you can point me to?

Meanwhile, I'll try installing on some other machines. If they work, then I bet your "registry overload" theory is correct.

Comment

Athan, you're good

I installed the USB driver on my notebook computer, which only has installed a few interfaces during its lifetime, and everything is working perfectly...just as expected.

Just to check it out, I called up Sonar to see if the Motif XS6 could do the controller thing, and it worked like a champ.

So...obviously the problem is at this end. I'll do a little googling and see if I can get my music computer up to speed.

Thanks for the help! The controller function rocks, FYI. One thing I noticed with Sonar's WAI ("Where Am I") function and the Motif XS6 is that Yamaha went one step further than most other companies. For those not familiar with WAI, it allows using a, say, 8-channel control surface with more than 8 tracks by letting you drag a bar next to any 8 consecutive channels. For example, you can use 8 faders to control tracks 1-8, 9-16, 5-12, etc.

What the Yamaha software does that's cool is that it shows the control number in the XS6 next to the track number in Sonar, so if you are controlling (for example) tracks 5-12, next to 5 you'll see 1, next to 6 you'll see 2, etc. This makes it really easy to correlate the XS6 control surface controls to the tracks in Sonar.

FWIW, the more I work with the XS6, the more impressed I become with the overall level of, for lack of a better term, "professionalism." The display has a lot to do with that, as it displays lots of information without being cryptic, and even the web site makes things really clear. Good job.

EDIT: I thought it would be clearer to add a picture. The WAI strip is blue, and shows that Sonar tracks 6-13 are being controlled. But note the little numbers in the WAI strip: they correspond to the XS6 "channels."

Comment

This is really cool. Athan mentioned that the communication is bi-directional, with respect to the editor, but that's also true in remote mode. When you do something like name a track in Sonar, the name shows up on the XS6 display as well. There's also some intelligence: For example, you can't dial in EQ settings for the MIDI channels, because, well, MIDI data doesn't get EQed. Data changes are bi-directional as well; tweaks on either Sonar or the XS6 show up in each other's displays.

I really like the fact that you can use the XS6 navigation buttons to choose parameters, and being able to adjust parameter values with the data wheel is extremely precise -- much more so than using the typical faders in a control surface.

I don't want to get too hung up on the remote elements right now, as we haven't even gotten into the sounds yet! But this is in response to the question about "missing features" when not using Cubase. I'm impressed with the Sonar implementation, it's clear Yamaha isn't "crippling" usage with other hosts -- it's just that when you're using Cubase, there's the opportunity for tighter integration (as Athan pointed out) regarding things like song transfers.

For the record, although the manual says that the XS6 remote function works with Sonar 5.2, I'm testing it with 6.2, no problems. There are also remote functions for Logic 7.2.1 and Digital Performer 5.1 as well as Cubase 4/Cubase Studio 4/Cubase AI 4.

Comment

Here's a reference on the MIDI port limit issue:

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_techinfo.php?page=content/support/en_support_faq_10entryd

Guess I'll set a system restore and start poking around....

Comment

Working...
                                X