Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think macros would be killer for workstations. I have so many ideas I wanted to share with Yamaha for next gen Motif, but despite my best efforts they won't involve me in R&D. They are notoriously fraternal and secretive. It's all good, but I think they could truly make better products if they included lay people like me in R&D--especially having worked alongside so many Motif owners now and witnessed firsthand their frustrations, confusion, and of course JOY with the Motif

So thanks for the validation on the "destroy" feature. "Kill" would be a cool button label, too. Hey Craig we should design a workstation and then go sell the blueprint. Wanna?

No I never got into the networking stuff. No time, to be honest.

You rock. Thanks for your reply , and great work you do here on HC

mj
    Want to win Presonus Studio One? Register to win!
    WWW.DAILYMIXDOWN.COM

Comment

• Well, I just managed to save the entire synth contents (file with a .XOA file extension) to my computer. I was under the impression you had to save first to a USB device then access that from the computer, but apparently that's not the case.

None of the above should imply that I'm a Yamaha Motif network expert (yet), and truthfully, a little more documentation about how to actually use this feature would be helpful. But for now, one thing's for sure: It works! Cool.

Hi Anderton,

1) How can I copy or save a existing saved song (in the Motif) to a USB memory stick?

2) How can I copy, save or export the the previous song's audio to Cubase via mLan.

3) Once I save a .XOA file of the previous song into CUBASE, how can I manage its audio from my computer.

By the way, I appreciate the review and "how to"'s streaming about the XS6 that you are posting.

Comment

• Hey Al,
        All these questions and much much more will get more attention from more people (some of whom are actually "on the job") and likely get you answers quicker by going to:
        www.motifator.com

You will find an active group of Motif users often with very similar issues, not to mention the wealth of knowledge that has accumulated over the last 9+ years and millions of posts on the forum.

To get you started try this:
        http://www.motifator.com/index.php/support/view/motif_xs_song_import

This is not to say Craig will not answer your question...I just happen to know he has a lot of really important things to do and there are people at Motifator who's job it is to do just that!

Comment

• Thanks, Support Guy!

I too think the best answer is moltifator.com. I contend it's the poster boy for what support web sites should be. Couple that with the free content and forums, and it's really a fantastic resource.
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• This is from the Yamaha Music Production department:
            In keeping with our dedication to provide outstanding customer support, Yamaha is making available to thousands of Motif XS owners an operating system update that gives them many features that were introduced in the Motif XF.

New features;
            -Normalize, Slice, and Remix have been added to the Sampling Edit display and Sampling Main display respectively, allowing you to more easily call up these displays.

-You can now increase the available memory of the DIMM by using the newly added Sampling Job.

-You can now convert a Sample Voice to a Mixing Voice.

-You can now edit a Drum Voice in the Mixing mode.

-TAP (tempo) is now available in the Voice/Performance/Song/Pattern mode.

-Network function now supports Windows 7 and Mac OS X 10.6 .

For more:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/downloads/drivers_software/synthesizers/motif_xs/updater/

Comment

• Thanks for the update!! In other welcome news, I now have expansion RAM here for the XF, and will be checking out the RAM-related functionality so I can add a "coda" to this thread. Can you really play that many voices with RAM playback? We'll find out soon...
              N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

• Well let's see...245 posts, over 127,000 page views...clearly, there's no interest in the Motif. Sorry, Yamaha.

But seriously, as you probably know the Motif XF is picking up where the XS left off. Yamaha asked if I wanted to do a brief coda in this review about differences with the XF compared to the XS, and while I'm obviously not going to do another pro review all over again, I do want to hit some of the high points.

The main change, at least in my opinion, is the ability to add up to 2GB of Flash RAM for storing sounds (gave me a deja vu back to the days when I installed a whopping 1 Megabyte of non-volatile RAM in my Peavey DPM-3 and thought was soooo cool). Now, hold on to seat, because a 1GB Flash expander costs a whopping $300. So, why can't you just go down to Office Depot and get a 1GB memory stick for $19.95? Well, because it isn't fast enough. The Yamaha Flash RAM has to be super-fast in order to play all the voices of which the XF is capable. Besides, it has a red circuit board, so it looks cool...even if no one will ever see it when it's parked inside your 'board.

Installation was a total piece of cake. There's a plate on the bottom with five screws. Undo screws, take off plate, put memory into edge connector, screw down two screws per card, replace plate, done. Here's what it looks like sitting in the XF.

So it'll cost you $600 to do the full 2GB, but what you get in return is instant sounds, as if they were in ROM, and built in to the keyboard - no external drives, cartridges, or other accessories. These can be your own samples, or expansion packs (I'm currently downloading the free - yes, free - 466MB "Inspiration in a Flash" sample set from www.motifator.com, so given the glacially slow DSL around here, check back in a few weeks after it's downloaded and I'll let you know what I think).

There's also a FireWire expansion card available for the XF. If you can't figure out where to install it, you have no business trying to install it yourself:

Here's what the card looks like; like so much other music gear, it uses the Wavefront FireWire chip (the big chip in the middle) for the interface itself.

Again, installation is easy. You remove two screws from the old plate, guide the card into two card guides until it lands in an internal edge connector, use two screws to secure the interface to a new plate, then use the two screws you removed to hold the new plate in place. Done.

Note that the protocol is FireWire 400, not 800.

Comment

Working...
                X